FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

cure or treatment

star101
Community Member

please help me know is there a cure for depression and anxiety or is there just a treatment??

3 Replies 3

Chloekat84
Community Member

Unfortunetely there is no cure but there are ways of managing depression and anxiety with medication and psychotherapy.

Neil_1
Community Member

Hi there Star

Welcome to Beyond Blue and thank you for providing this post and your excellent question.

Chloekat has chipped in with a great response for you.  And yes, unfortunately there is no known cure yet.  I like to say “yet” because I so hope that in the future in some far off galaxy there’ll be some kind of treatment that will be available.

But in the meantime, depression and any mental health illness needs to be treated and treated in various ways.  Coming here was a very positive step that you’ve taken;  it’s a good start.

I’m assuming that you are suffering from depression and anxiety.   On this website, Beyond Blue have a listing of GP’s available and they can be searched for and hopefully you can find one or more in your local area.  The thing with these GP’s is that they are all qualified in being able to diagnose, deal with and treat in a professional manner anyone who presents with any mental health condition.  From this appointment, they are then best able to refer on for appropriate counselling (if required) or to advise the use of any prescription medications (if needed).

There are many other things that can be done as well – but in the first instance, I will send this off and I hope I’ve been able to provide you with some new information.

Also Star, we would very much like to hear from you again – and please put forward any amount of questions that you’d like – and please remember this – there is no question that is too small or too silly.  From all my time on here, I think I’ve been the only one to ever pose a silly question – and then I answered it in a silly fashion.  🙂

Kind regards

Neil

Hello Star

I would love to say there is a cure and many people do believe they have been cured. Their depression goes away after treatment and does not come back. In these cases I believe it is because these folk have developed a way of life that allows them to manage depression and anxiety. It involves all sorts of factors such a diet, changing their way of thinking, exercise, positive feelings towards their job, meaningful other activities and a loving family/partner/friends.

It doesn't mean that nothing painful, unhappy or difficult ever happens to them. Of course it does as they are as much subject to the vagaries of life as anyone else. It means that have strategies for managing these occasions and recognizing what is happening.

Neil has pointed you to BB's GP list and if you do not have your own GP or you are unhappy with the one you usually see, then do contact someone on this list. I am really keen to know what you have done so far to get help. There are many alternatives but I do not want to overwhelm you with advice. I do hope you come back and talk to us.

Please try not to despair. There truly is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Warm regards

LING