FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Confidentiality and Crisis Line Experiences

Succulent Queen
Community Member

Hi All,

Would anyone be willing to share their experiences in talking with crisis helpline support? Maybe that very well known one that isn't Beyond Blue? 

I recently had an experience with a particular helpline that left me questioning confidentiality.

The operator knew which town I worked in without me telling her. I have called this number once a week in the lead up to Xmas as well as these last three weeks throughout January. I have named the town in at least one of these phone calls but not today, however the volunteer operator did name it. Her explanation was a staggered and vague few words about the computer telling her I was in Victoria. She could not tell me where she got the town's name from and referred me to the FAQ section of the helpline  website to give feedback. At the time of the call I was in Melbourne which is 160k's away from that town so the computer could not have detected me as being in that town. Now... here's a point of truth to consider, the state of your mental health does not equate to a measure of your intellect. To equate mental health with what is normally assumed to be a limited intellect is a form of stigma. Stigma at work associated with mental health is part of the reason I rang the number and not something I wanted to experience from a helpline.

The point of this post isn't to tear a service down or overstate it's worth. Its about sharing experiences as fairly and honestly as possible. I am grateful to be in the first world where I can call a non-judgemental stranger for free and talk about anything, now, I don't think I use that number again.

What are your thoughts on confidentiality? Confidentiality can only be interpreted a single way in my view unless transparent variables are added to broaden its meaning which wasn't the case.

First and foremost this post is about confidentiality. Confidentiality of any type that relates to mental health, mostly helplines.

Confidentiality underlines the integrity of any health service. Confidentiality when maintained gives you confidence. In many personal relationships, confidentiality can also be described as trust. When you entrust sensitive information to a service you expect it to be upheld. This part of the benefit in calling a helpline. 

What are your experiences with confidentiality that is related to your mental health information verbal/documented/formal/informal - doesn't matter. Thanks 

2 Replies 2

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, welcome

As a former investigator now retired I can say there are many ways to gather information from someone, store it for later use and not inform that person. Your home phone prefix will say which town you are calling from, they could do a reverse phone check to ascertain the address (in some cases) and if you mentioned it they likely noted it on their computer and so on. Their intent is honourable however, if the call escalated to an alarming height (eg threats of suicide) then they might be able to get help to you.

Mental health authorities 24 hour crisis line that I'm familiar with, I can ring them anytime and give my details and they will have all of my file in front of them. This is a good thing, it could save me.

The small town environment is a concern to many people and thats your call. Personally I'm not ever embarrassed nor concerned if others know of my illnesses (bipolar, etc) and any stigma attached is the imperfection of the judge that judges. However I can relate to wanting full confidentiality by some. It's a personal preference.

My overall view is that we have good truck drivers and bad, good police and bad, good operators in a lifeline and not so good. I recall in the 90's ringing lifeline following a dispute with my first wife. The operator said "you get back in that house and repair the damage". I was shocked. The fact is my first wife was a narcissist and quite cruel and I eventually left her for my sanity. Yep, a not so good operator. 

I hope that helps somewhat. Thankyou for posting. An interesting topic.

TonyWK

Hi White Knight, thanks for your reply. I'll choose the perspective that 'their intentions are honourable'.

Its easier to deal with that way and also sounds like rational truth. I guess I will not offer up my phone calls for learning purposes next time and opt to not have the call recorded. According to google #31# blocks mobile numbers -tested and it works. Oh the lengths I go to to stay in the mental health closet... for work purposes at least. 

''Imperfection of the judge that judges''

Very helpful.