Depression

Depression affects people in Australia every day. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with depression.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Jeriava How do I talk to my doctor?
  • replies: 9

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really ... View more

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really scared that they’ll judge me or won’t believe anything I say. I’m really anti social so I feel like I won’t be able to say what I wanna say or I’ll say the wrong thing causing them to just dismiss me and move me along without helping. I’m just tired of feeling alone, depressed and just worthless but I’m really scared to talk to them.

Chris_B Are you looking to support someone else with depression? PLEASE READ before posting
  • replies: 0

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and f... View more

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and friends with a mental health condition It's full of threads from people who have family members and friends going through anxiety, depression or other related conditions. Have a read through the threads there, and feel free to take part in the discussions. Below are also some helpful beyondblue resources you might want to look through first as well: Supporting someone Have the conversation

AGrace SELF HELP TIPS FOR MANAGING DEPRESSION
  • replies: 132

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the ... View more

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the 5 senses Distress Tolerance – Accepting Emotions and Self Soothing Distraction – Put the thoughts/feelings aside and come back to them when you are ready to deal with them Positive Affirmations – Have some affirmations written down repeat them to yourself daily Sleep/Exercise/Diet – All 3 aspects of our lifestyle can impact the way we think/feel Increasing Pleasurable Activities – Engage in at least one pleasurable activity per day

All discussions

Jilly Lost and confused
  • replies: 2

I am new to this site, but am glad I found it, it is a chance to connect with people who know what I feel and wont treat me as though they are sick of my whinging. Well I hope not. I am 46 years old. It seems I have spent most of my life pretending e... View more

I am new to this site, but am glad I found it, it is a chance to connect with people who know what I feel and wont treat me as though they are sick of my whinging. Well I hope not. I am 46 years old. It seems I have spent most of my life pretending everything is great. but about 4 years ago I couldnt do it anymore, I lost the ability to pretend anymore, it seems I had no control anymore. You see when I was a teenager I was physically abused by my older brother who I loved alot. He also sexually humiliated me in front of other boys. Alot happened. I left home at 17, as soon as I got enough money I was gone. Then after years of travelling around avoiding home, I finally came home and stayed. I just carried on as though nothing had happened. I got on with life. Then just over 4 years ago I began to have memories coming back all the time, they where always there but this time they seemed to take over my days and nights, becoming clearer and clearer. I woke up one day in the hospital, I had experienced a seizure apparantly. From that moment on I continued to have all sorts of seizures, some they say perhaps are psycogenic non-epileptic. When I had these particular moments I would feel a terror come over me, and a strong sense of what my brother had done. Sounds weird I know, but apparantly during these I look incredibly scared. My brother and I had a talk about this and I expressed how I feel about him and how I had spent my life pretending and feeling guilty if I brought our experience up. Secretly over the years everytime something bad happened to him in his life I would feel a sense of joy, then guilt because I felt that. It was an awful way to live. But I managed to have 2 kids, marry and finish a degree in nursing. Sadly my career is over due to the depression, seizures and medication side effects. I lost my drivers licence, I lost my independence, I became angry with my mother and only started talking again about 6 months ago after 4 years. I have not spoken to my brother since our confrontation. He has not bothered to contact me at all. I ended up in a psychiatric ward as I was about to take my life, unable to cope with the memories and the losses. I was also diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, anxiety, of course depression, PTSD, major depressive disorder, and now colitis and of course epilepsy. Due to loss of income we lost our home, now recently my marriage broke down and I live on my own with my 16 year old son staying part-time. My daughter (21) is living out of home. I have isolated myself so much that I have lost many friends. I stay home alot and at times cant handle being around people. I avoid phone calls. I avoid life. I feel guilty because I know there are so many others out there with far worse than me. I am angry with my mother, and my siblings. I have lost so much I feel my brother needs to pay somehow for my losses. He is happy, he his working and holidaying with the family, he has not bothered to attempt to make amends despite me writing to him twice to explain how I feel. I was told the other day by my step-father perhaps I should go away and stay somewhere so I can get help for a while. I would like to but cant afford it. I have been asked many times do I want to pursue a civil case against him, considering my losses. I am confused. I am scared. I am lost. What do others think? Should I pursue this case and use it to get proper treatment? Well thats off my chest...always good isnt it? Thank you for reading my story so far.

Friendship Feeling so lonely and sad

I believe I have been depressed for sometime, have spoken to doctors had counselling but just can't shake it, yes I do feel suicidal my main concern is WHY am I here I give nothing, all of my very close friends have moved away, and others have given ... View more

I believe I have been depressed for sometime, have spoken to doctors had counselling but just can't shake it, yes I do feel suicidal my main concern is WHY am I here I give nothing, all of my very close friends have moved away, and others have given up on me because it is so hard for me to make an effort they think I am bumping them off, to people at work my family parents and children I am my usual happy go lucky person and nothing could possibly be wrong. I want to start going out and having fun again but because it seems such a hurdle it's easier to stay at home and watch tv in my bedroom. please help

cazza bad day nightmares

well me not have a good day too afraid to sleep god I have these night mares where I sometime wake up screaming and crying so depressed I don't want to get out of bed and then I don't want to get back in life just one roller coaster one big one up an... View more

well me not have a good day too afraid to sleep god I have these night mares where I sometime wake up screaming and crying so depressed I don't want to get out of bed and then I don't want to get back in life just one roller coaster one big one up and down most time I don't want to leave the house when I go shopping some days just drive back home to many people feel a lot safer if I stay home like if I go I have to check all doors and windows I even turn all power points off I case there is a fire but lately I have to check them more and more thing have 2 b in strait lines I hate things being out of place just don't know why cant stop this house is the only place that has ever made me feel safe not sure I deserve to get better or if I even want to after losing my job and that big pay check I think that why my ex left as well he didn't like responsibility

Jafo Can't sleep

I average 3 to 4 hours sleep a day the Dr tells me it is depression have change meds 3 time in the last 5 years and nothing seems to work. Took a prescribed medication for 1 month and was getting 5 hours. after 1 month needed to increase dosage to 3 ... View more

I average 3 to 4 hours sleep a day the Dr tells me it is depression have change meds 3 time in the last 5 years and nothing seems to work. Took a prescribed medication for 1 month and was getting 5 hours. after 1 month needed to increase dosage to 3 per night to get same result. I have tried all the herbal and antihisamine sleeping tablets and none work. A friend gave me 3 benzodiazepines and they did nothing. Can anyone help me.....

Venning Why doesn't anyone listen...
  • replies: 11

Hi, I'm a 15 year old girl that is currently completing year 10. I am being repeatedly bullied by a girl in my class, she calls me names, tease me about my weight because I am so skinny, threatens me, spreads rumours, repeatedly touches my arse and d... View more

Hi, I'm a 15 year old girl that is currently completing year 10. I am being repeatedly bullied by a girl in my class, she calls me names, tease me about my weight because I am so skinny, threatens me, spreads rumours, repeatedly touches my arse and disrespects my family. She would go to the principal and tell him something completely incorrect and the he would take me into his office close the door and yell at me, a week later he would always come back apologise and say it wasn't me. I have also been threatens to be failed because the girl took credit for my school work. I have told teachers numerous times and they didn't do anything, so I've been to the principal and they still won't do anything. My depression and anxiety has now returned because of this girl, my school grades are dropping, I feel physically sick when I see her, I constantly think or wagging school, I'm always on edge for her next verbal attack, don't even want to go to school anymore because I can't concentrate and I've hurt myself today. Is there some sort of legal action I can take? Because it is a crime and when issues arise it should be taken seriously. Aren't schools obliques to do something as well if not they can get into trouble with the department of education. Please someone can anyone help me because I really don't want to do this anymore, thing s would be so much easier if I wasn't here.

Belle Desperate to find help to start getting better...My first post (sorry if long)

Hi everyone, I am new to these online forums and this is my first post, so I apologise if it long. I have been struggling with depression and anxiety from at least the age of 12 including stages where I have had suicidal thoughts and eating disorders... View more

Hi everyone, I am new to these online forums and this is my first post, so I apologise if it long. I have been struggling with depression and anxiety from at least the age of 12 including stages where I have had suicidal thoughts and eating disorders. Now things are getting worse - I have disconnected myself from all my friends and family, seeing only my immediate family and boyfriend but even these relationship are becoming more strained. I have become nearly completely reclusive and have major anxiety when I have to go into public, making day to day life, and getting a job, very difficult. I have zero self esteem, little confidence, fail to take care of myself and have problems with sleeping. I am now 27 and after 2 failed minor attempts at seeking some (unhelpful) guidance (the online help on this site and a free uni counselor), I finally took the step today to try and seek some professional help. However after having built up to this moment for so long, and finally growing enough courage to call and book an appointment with a GP, and after a whole morning stressing out and feeling nervous, I came out feeling complete shattered at the lack of understanding and assistance I was given. I had pinned a lot of hope on the session going well, hoping it would be positive and aid in encouraging me to continue to seek help. So right now I am feeling completely deflated and feel like giving up on getting help and continue on in silence. It has certainly made me understand the great importance of making sure people are given utmost care and understanding when they present with a depressive disorder, as this first session will dictate the rest of their future in terms of their treatment. After reading many posts on these forums it seems to me it is a complete mindfield out there of indifferent, uninformed and unprofessional GPs, psychologists, counselors etc. and finding caring, understanding help is like finding a needle in a haystack. I feel so sad reading everyone else's story on here and hearing about the lack of care and assistance many have received from family, friends and professionals. So my question is, is it really that difficult to find understanding and quality professional help, or am I just not starting in the right places? Will I have to spend hundreds of wasted dollars on bad or general advice that I could have just got from the internet until I find someone who can truly help? I currently struggle greatly with money (student on centrelink), only barely being able to afford rent and food, and I have heard psychiatrists charge in the hundreds of dollars. Does anyone have any tips, recommendations, advice on where to start getting good quality help and assistance that is not going to send me to the poorhouse? Preferably some more detailed information than just saying "see a GP or a psych" - maybe any good GP or Psych clinics people have gone to? I feel utterly desperate as my situation is growing worse and worse day by day and I just want to make a start on the right track and start being able to live life.

jim lost again
  • replies: 3

how can someone cope with Depression when every day is a battle, with life, with my realationship, bills.... ect. I am just not coping with anything my life my bf my job im just so lost at the moment. iv'e tried to get him to understand but he just l... View more

how can someone cope with Depression when every day is a battle, with life, with my realationship, bills.... ect. I am just not coping with anything my life my bf my job im just so lost at the moment. iv'e tried to get him to understand but he just looks at me and thinks im making it up i really just dont know what to do any more.. anyone else having this problem?

hopingforchange My story.. first steps to hopefully getting better

Hi there, my name is Sarah. This is my first time on beyond blue, i have had Anxiety and Depression on and off since i was 16, i am now 31. At the moment i am feeling like that my life is a mess, i can't concentrate on anything, work, study, day to d... View more

Hi there, my name is Sarah. This is my first time on beyond blue, i have had Anxiety and Depression on and off since i was 16, i am now 31. At the moment i am feeling like that my life is a mess, i can't concentrate on anything, work, study, day to day life. I am single, no kids, no house, no real savings, have a full time job, amazing friends and an extremely close relationship with my family. I have had amazing experiences in my life i have travelled been to many music festivals (which is one of the great loves in my life). I have a great support network yet i still feel like i can't get through this down time again. I am in a relationship (if you can call it that) that has been going on and off for the last 3 months and it's taking its toll on me. One minute he's all keen and the next he's not. I can see a future with us, i want a future with us. He has said he has feelings for me and a connection like no other. At this stage he is taking time out to decide if he wants to build a life together or be on his own. Relationships have always made me anxious. At the moment i feel depressed, i am crying all the time just randomly, i am constantly thinking about the "relationship" and him, 'why doesn't he want to be with me, does he want to be with me? Is he going to see other people? What if he finds someone else?'. I know this thought pattern and head chatter is not healthy and is creating my anxiety, yet i cannot stop myself. I worry about not finding that special someone. I am seeing a psychologist at the moment, but i cannot even concentrate on the sessions, i am listening to what he is saying and what processes i need to do to stop the head chatter, i want to stop it but i just can't make myself. I have also just started taking supplements after a recommendation from my naturopath, hopefully this may help. I am at a loss, i hate feeling like this, i hate crying all the time, i know i am better than that but i can't pull myself out of the hole. Thought's and similar experiences and any advice would be great.

cazza tired of a cruel world

hay I know I am messed up have anxiety depression cant stop cleaning at all hours of the night and day my family have notice it I even go to my to my mums and clean god I don't want her to know I feel this bad always tried to protect her and my littl... View more

hay I know I am messed up have anxiety depression cant stop cleaning at all hours of the night and day my family have notice it I even go to my to my mums and clean god I don't want her to know I feel this bad always tried to protect her and my little sisters my mum left my dad when I was 13 we went to live with nana and pop I thought we were going to b safe but that was a living hell mum had 9 brothers and to sisters it was not long before her dad was sexual abusing me but I did want to tell mum I felt ashamed and did not want her to go back to dad and get bashed to death always had to help she was so loving but it all came out 1 year later nana called me a hoar 4 god sake I was a 14 year old girl and then the un think able she went back to dad well I told her nothing happened but it did and dad a raging man beat her again to this day mum thinks her dad a nice bloke well I kept that all to my self until my sister had twin girls took me a little while then she told she was going to see them well her girl were 2 I told her don't hate me but don't let that monster near your kids I would not let my son out of my site let alone any where near my boy but when I saw nana I could see the sorrow in her heart so I didn't tell anyone until last year when I did see her all she could say was sorry I think all that pain has not helped pop is still alive I wont feel safe until he dies still have nightmares about it and I am 35 now always have wanted to end it but the guilt of putting my mum though any more pain keeps me alive when I had my son he saved me I was cold to the world had tuned off until I had him I could never under stand how they all could hurt the ones you r suppose to protect is life really worth living if I have to lose my house I don't know what I will do

downwardspiral Feeling Hopeless
  • replies: 3

Last week I attempted suicide, hospitalized me overnight. Into therapy now. Battled with depression on and off for the last 10 years. Last night I had another breakdown, dark thoughts etc. Marriage is breaking down, which is the main reason for the s... View more

Last week I attempted suicide, hospitalized me overnight. Into therapy now. Battled with depression on and off for the last 10 years. Last night I had another breakdown, dark thoughts etc. Marriage is breaking down, which is the main reason for the spiral. Struggle to get out of bed every morning. Everything is a struggle. Don't enjoy anything anymore. Have a therapist, doesn't seem to be helping at all. Work sucks more than usual, which i'm struggling to keep up with because I dont care anymore. I really dont know what to do. Hardly eating, feel sick in the stomach 24/7. Really struggling here.