Depression

Depression affects people in Australia every day. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with depression.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Jeriava How do I talk to my doctor?
  • replies: 9

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really ... View more

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really scared that they’ll judge me or won’t believe anything I say. I’m really anti social so I feel like I won’t be able to say what I wanna say or I’ll say the wrong thing causing them to just dismiss me and move me along without helping. I’m just tired of feeling alone, depressed and just worthless but I’m really scared to talk to them.

Chris_B Are you looking to support someone else with depression? PLEASE READ before posting
  • replies: 0

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and f... View more

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and friends with a mental health condition It's full of threads from people who have family members and friends going through anxiety, depression or other related conditions. Have a read through the threads there, and feel free to take part in the discussions. Below are also some helpful beyondblue resources you might want to look through first as well: Supporting someone Have the conversation

AGrace SELF HELP TIPS FOR MANAGING DEPRESSION
  • replies: 132

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the ... View more

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the 5 senses Distress Tolerance – Accepting Emotions and Self Soothing Distraction – Put the thoughts/feelings aside and come back to them when you are ready to deal with them Positive Affirmations – Have some affirmations written down repeat them to yourself daily Sleep/Exercise/Diet – All 3 aspects of our lifestyle can impact the way we think/feel Increasing Pleasurable Activities – Engage in at least one pleasurable activity per day

All discussions

Lost_andconfused Feeling lost
  • replies: 4

Hi im a 25 year old male that was admitted 4 months ago to hospital for a Psychotic Depressive episode. Was wondering how long this takes to go away? I'm sick of trying to figure out whats happening and find my behaviour erratic and temper tantrums e... View more

Hi im a 25 year old male that was admitted 4 months ago to hospital for a Psychotic Depressive episode. Was wondering how long this takes to go away? I'm sick of trying to figure out whats happening and find my behaviour erratic and temper tantrums explosive. Feels like im on a rocky boat stuck in a monstrous whirlwind somewhere. My life is a mess

Asche On Birthdays, Expectations, and the General Imperfections of Life: A light-hearted rant.
  • replies: 12

Allow me to begin by saying that, I'm not writing this to garner sympathy. In fact, the main reason why I'm writing this at all is because I unexpectedly stumbled across a spare few hours on a Sunday night, when I just happened to have a point in min... View more

Allow me to begin by saying that, I'm not writing this to garner sympathy. In fact, the main reason why I'm writing this at all is because I unexpectedly stumbled across a spare few hours on a Sunday night, when I just happened to have a point in mind. It's certainly not the most dramatic or egregious of grievances, but perhaps it'll resonate with a few of you. So with no further ado: Stuff birthdays. Don't get me wrong, I like the concept in principle. Having one day out of the year when you get cake and people pamper you like a god is a nice little tradition, and it's a good excuse to have friends over and reconnect after being preoccupied with work the other 364 days of the year. It's a perfectly pleasant concept in theory. Where things begin to go a bit awry, is when expectations creep into the process. For some reason that I've never been able to understand, you're expected to be particularly happy about being alive on this ONE particular day of the year, like it's some spectacular achievement that should innately drive you to tears of happiness. Except it's not really much of an achievement, is it? Barring some truly poor decision making, it's not all that difficult to stay alive in the earlier decades of life when your body hasn't started ageing and falling to bits of its own accord. As a result, I've never particularly bothered with my birthday (particularly when it commemorates the beginning of a life that's been marred by depression for approximately half of its current lifespan), preferring to let it go unremarked and save my limited capacity for joy for times more deserving of celebrating. Yet, for one reason or another, people don't appear to be able to just let it go. They'll throw surprises, turning up unannounced proffering cakes, cards and candles expecting a WIDE grin and a tearful hug thanking them for the gifts and their thoughtfulness. Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful. I'm gratified that my friends and my family care enough to spend their hard-earned cash, and even more valuable time celebrating the birth of a soul as prickly and curmudgeonly as myself. Were it possible for me to actually feel much of anything, I'd probably be touched. But what these silly buggers don't seem to realize, with your bright, expectant smiles, is that the closest thing I've felt to proper happiness in the past decade is the relief I felt relieving an overburdened bladder following 3 hours of Sunday Mass after having 2 litres of water beforehand.

Moonstruck Need to Know - is this all there is?
  • replies: 9

Just lately I've needed to know for sure.....is this life all there is? What's "out there? After death..is there another realm, another spiritual place, other higher beings (those who've passed on or whatever) trying to communicate with us? What's th... View more

Just lately I've needed to know for sure.....is this life all there is? What's "out there? After death..is there another realm, another spiritual place, other higher beings (those who've passed on or whatever) trying to communicate with us? What's there? This can't be all there is...can it? I find myself watching for signs, symbols, messages, answers to requests & prayers....some kind of tangible "thing" to reassure me it's worth keeping on...trying,hoping, striving, improving, feeling, sharing, caring for my own health, listening to others, having fun, exploring other philosophies and beliefs - breathing in nature, delighting in pets - what comes after? Is there any point to doing all of this stuff? Why do such bad things happen to good people? How do we forgive ourselves....the more compassionate and loving we are, the more guilt we feel if loved ones are sad.......and we can't fix them! How can we change into cold uncaring people...so that we, ourselves, hurt less? That way it wouldn't matter to us, if people we loved were suffering, would it? Has anyone had "proof" of any kind of anything else existing? Any distinct messages from "the other side" ...is there one?....feeling scared and pointless today, sorry folks......x

New_Member feeling alone and depressed
  • replies: 2

Hi, im new to this, I had a little girl a little over a year ago and during my pregnancy i had a pretty rough time, was told we might need to terminate (but she turned out perfect) and then i lost my dad. My partner works away and I have no family su... View more

Hi, im new to this, I had a little girl a little over a year ago and during my pregnancy i had a pretty rough time, was told we might need to terminate (but she turned out perfect) and then i lost my dad. My partner works away and I have no family support. Im finding things quite difficult as a first time mum, im feeling very alone, like no one cares, i have a very supporting a helpful fiance but still I am finding myself very unhappy and stressed and unhappy about life. My mum and I were very close before our little girl arrived and now I barely hear or have visits from her. Also, its hard to explain but i am still friends with my ex whom ive known for (20 years) and feel like ive had to slowly let go of our friendship (although i dont want to) but dont want it jeapordising things with my fiance (hes aware we are friends but although never says anything dont think hes too happy about it). My mum has also just divorced from my stepdad although I didnt like him so much because of something he did to me when i was younger i am now worried about how he is with my little sister and hes turned really strange and worry he will do to her what he did to me. I just feel i cant talk to anyone and i feel my whole family is falling apart and I am so alone

Hib Very confused
  • replies: 5

Today was my first talk with a phyc nurse about my feelings /stress and possibly depression also my panic attacks.um feel strange talking out to the public for any past experience men who may have had these probs .did anyone have trust issues with th... View more

Today was my first talk with a phyc nurse about my feelings /stress and possibly depression also my panic attacks.um feel strange talking out to the public for any past experience men who may have had these probs .did anyone have trust issues with there partners when in depress States I'm seeing things and asking stupid questions all the time can't seem to get my head around WHY am I doing this ? Any help from other members would be great !

white knight Depression- your plan for 2016
  • replies: 7

As I write this, its xmas morning. Last xmas morning I made a vow to myself....that by next xmas morning (today) I would have advanced with my depression and made a few improvements. I would have- 1/ not thought at all in the twelve months...of suici... View more

As I write this, its xmas morning. Last xmas morning I made a vow to myself....that by next xmas morning (today) I would have advanced with my depression and made a few improvements. I would have- 1/ not thought at all in the twelve months...of suicide as a possibility. That that avenue, the idea of it, upon entering my thoughts, I would discount it 2/ That I would seek better stability of my medication. This was achieved by April by regular consultation with my doctor as to adjusting my mood stabilisers and anti depressants. This involved a little tweaking and was easier than I thought. I'm now as stable as I have ever been and likely ever will be. We need to allow for the fact that meds wont ever make us totally stable and we should seek the next best level. 3/ That on a personal level I would accept my wife more for her quirkiness and show more appreciation for her care and consideration. 4/ That I would seek more time aside for my time in a nearby forest. To take along my music I love (the pan flute) and play it. Meditate. 5/ That I would staunchly protect myself and my mental health by not allowing toxic people to enter my life nor allow some to re-enter it after previously being shut out. Torturing myself with troublemakers isn't going to help me. 6/ That I would remain on this forum. To try to connect with those needing my opinion in their struggle to get through life. It's all worked. Merry xmas to you all and be positive for it is the only way to get through it all with the least pain. Tony WK

Hal9000 My logical brain
  • replies: 3

Hi I have come to the logical conclusion that nothing I do is worthwhile or meaningful. I have not come this point lightly. I think though decisions and ideas carefully to make the most informed and well reasoned conclusions that I can. Unfortunately... View more

Hi I have come to the logical conclusion that nothing I do is worthwhile or meaningful. I have not come this point lightly. I think though decisions and ideas carefully to make the most informed and well reasoned conclusions that I can. Unfortunately, emotionally, I am not happy with this conclusion, but I know it to be true. It literally does not matter if I go to work or not. None of my other interests make me happy, anyone else happy, or have any impact on the world at all. My wife and kids are always upset and arguing no matter what I do or don't do. I have no significant friendships where we have an impact on each other's lives. I feel like I could disappear and no one would have the time or interest to care. I have tried a number of hobbies and pass times. The have travelled with my wife and alone. I have changed careers. I have moved locations. I have had an extended break from work to see if I could find answers. Nothing has worked. I literally enjoy nothing and find reasons not to do everything. My nihilistic viewpoint has been reinforced and reconfirmed time and time again. The end point of every line of thought is that there is no point. I don't want to die, but I see no reason to live. My first post to a forum like this, so wasn't sure what to write and what to expect. Why do you get up in the morning and why does it even matter?

DefiantPanda I feel different from other people
  • replies: 4

I feel like I almost always have different points of view on things. I tell myself that other people don't understand where I'm coming from, that they're being overly harsh on me because they have their own issues, or that they're biased or whatever,... View more

I feel like I almost always have different points of view on things. I tell myself that other people don't understand where I'm coming from, that they're being overly harsh on me because they have their own issues, or that they're biased or whatever, but it gets so tiring having a different point of view from everyone else. Just for a while I'd like to agree with others to know what it feels like to belong. But that would be wrong. I shouldn't have to do that. My opinion isn't wrong it's just different.

hcrumb trying to be positive
  • replies: 3

hi all. after just over 12 months, i am no closer to happiness. in a nutshell, i am 47 years old, separated with a 3 yo child, and no regular income. i am in financial difficulty, trying to pay a mortgage and keep a stable home for my son who i have ... View more

hi all. after just over 12 months, i am no closer to happiness. in a nutshell, i am 47 years old, separated with a 3 yo child, and no regular income. i am in financial difficulty, trying to pay a mortgage and keep a stable home for my son who i have every weekend. i can not put closure on my separation, as my wife can give me no reason for leaving except that she was unhappy. i gave her space, as i believe she was suffering from post natal depression ( she also has been diagnosed with bipolar). she started to go out with girlfriends on weekends and i stayed home to take care of my son. we both could not afford to go out, as my son did not sleep through the night until he was 2. she would then sleep all day after late nights. nights out became more regular, and with groups of old ravers. leading into old habits. she went overseas for 2 weeks to a rave festival in belgium whilst i took time off to care for my son. when she came back, i overheard a conversation she had with a friend that she was planning to leave. in the end, she continued to party with groups of people and told me she wished i was more like some of these people, especially one bloke. she confessed to taking drugs consistently and wanting an open relationship. this led me to depression, medication and a regular physcologist visit. i said to her that she needed to make a choice, and she left the next day. i continually question myself, and of late have quizzed her for answers. all i get is that she is finding herself and the error of her ways through a fellowship group. i am lost, overwhelmed and riding the roller coaster of depression. i need closure, but can not get it. the hardest part is that i still love her, but have chosen not to take her back as financial settlement has been finalised and i could not go through this again. i am in a very lonely place even though i have support of a few close friends and family, who i am slowly pulling away from. i know that i can only find the answer to happiness and a more positive outlook, but i am just looking for an outlet. hopefully this is it.

Gypsy77 So lost and lonely
  • replies: 5

Hi I am so lost and lonely very depressed don't even know where to start I have no friends I do nothing but wake up and sit on lounge crying try to watch tv but mind does not let me half the time i feel so miserable worthless I live with my ex partne... View more

Hi I am so lost and lonely very depressed don't even know where to start I have no friends I do nothing but wake up and sit on lounge crying try to watch tv but mind does not let me half the time i feel so miserable worthless I live with my ex partner due to can't live alone and have no where else to go don't get me wrong they are great and I am very lucky to have them to help me as I don't know where ll be without them. The thing is when they leave for work I am crying as I don't wanna be left alone so scared and end up crying most of day as I am right now. I have been sick had a operation which is giving me pain and high lated the anxiety which does not help. I do see a dr but honestly not much has been done to help me. I did try some tablets but they made me sick as most things do. Which is why I am so scared about taking anything. I get so angers at myself for feeling like this. I was once a strong person who could do anything go anywhere now I can't even go outside my gate. The only time I leave the house is to go dr which makes me so uptight and very nervous. I don't drive so I have to ask my ex partner to take me to drs I know it drives them crazy but I don't have any other her help. I just don't no what to do anymore I am at rock bottom and need some help !!