Depression

Depression affects people in Australia every day. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with depression.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Jeriava How do I talk to my doctor?
  • replies: 9

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really ... View more

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really scared that they’ll judge me or won’t believe anything I say. I’m really anti social so I feel like I won’t be able to say what I wanna say or I’ll say the wrong thing causing them to just dismiss me and move me along without helping. I’m just tired of feeling alone, depressed and just worthless but I’m really scared to talk to them.

Chris_B Are you looking to support someone else with depression? PLEASE READ before posting
  • replies: 0

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and f... View more

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and friends with a mental health condition It's full of threads from people who have family members and friends going through anxiety, depression or other related conditions. Have a read through the threads there, and feel free to take part in the discussions. Below are also some helpful beyondblue resources you might want to look through first as well: Supporting someone Have the conversation

AGrace SELF HELP TIPS FOR MANAGING DEPRESSION
  • replies: 132

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the ... View more

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the 5 senses Distress Tolerance – Accepting Emotions and Self Soothing Distraction – Put the thoughts/feelings aside and come back to them when you are ready to deal with them Positive Affirmations – Have some affirmations written down repeat them to yourself daily Sleep/Exercise/Diet – All 3 aspects of our lifestyle can impact the way we think/feel Increasing Pleasurable Activities – Engage in at least one pleasurable activity per day

All discussions

Allen_p82 FEELING EMPTY, LIVING WITHOUT MEANING
  • replies: 7

Hi this is quite difficult for me to post on here. Never really spoken about my issues but i guess this is the first step. I wake up everyday with nothing to look forward to. I have no interests or hobbies anymore. Everything seems to be such an effo... View more

Hi this is quite difficult for me to post on here. Never really spoken about my issues but i guess this is the first step. I wake up everyday with nothing to look forward to. I have no interests or hobbies anymore. Everything seems to be such an effort to do. I have this feeling of complete emptiness. I find it very difficult to make decisions and when I do finally make one is always the wrong one. I no longer see my friends and barely talk to me family. I rather be alone. I feel likeI have to be a different person around different people and situations. I get quite nervous just talking to people. I feel like I just wake up each day and go through the motions without any meaning. I no longer have the capacity to have feelings. I say and do things which are mean to those I supposedly love but I feel no remorse. I hate being like this. I spend most of my days in bed sleeping and staring blankly at the tv. Sometimes I watch for an hour or so then in an ad break cant even remember what i am watching. Yes I am quite messed up, I know. Im just wondering if anyone has had similar things happen to them and could share with me.

BALM Living with Depression
  • replies: 12

Hi There, I was diagnosed with depression and acute anxiety around 8 years ago and went on a course of medication for around 2-3 years after that. I also had counselling at that time and also a prolonged period of counselling when I again felt I had ... View more

Hi There, I was diagnosed with depression and acute anxiety around 8 years ago and went on a course of medication for around 2-3 years after that. I also had counselling at that time and also a prolonged period of counselling when I again felt I had relapsed around 3 years ago. The desire was that I would be "cured" but as I am learning this is a life long challenge to be managed and even celebrated at what I am able to achieve. I'm currently under no direct treatment. Its a stressful period in life as I have also in the past few months moved into an Executive position (at a good/supportive workplace) and as well my wife and I have three children (5, 2.5 and 1). All the same lately I have found my motivation and general satisfaction with life to be up and down and in fact become more down - I have days like today where for someone who can be super productive and motivated I just cant be bothered being at work, and I know that if I have a day where I am slow it'll be fine, but I feel guilty. I also feel guilty because, you know I am lucky enough to be educated, have skills that are employable, a beautiful family, but I feel this way and doubt that others understand fully. I've never posted here before but have used BB resources before. Thanks, Ben

Muckabout Situational Trigger or Is It Just Who I Am?
  • replies: 5

Nearly 2 years ago my wife left me and she has since divorced me. I had a mental breakdown and spent 6 weeks in various forms of rehab. The last 3 weeks of this was spent at SPP and j came out of there feeling on cloud nine. My wife has completely sh... View more

Nearly 2 years ago my wife left me and she has since divorced me. I had a mental breakdown and spent 6 weeks in various forms of rehab. The last 3 weeks of this was spent at SPP and j came out of there feeling on cloud nine. My wife has completely shut down on me and at no time did she show any care for my situation. My psychiatrist thought I may have Dysthymia, but this week after a lot of soul searching, I have come to realise that I really don't have any interests or things that I am truly passionate and expert about. I also cannot remember the last time I really enjoyed something properly, which leads me to think I have become Anhedonic. It's in my nature to want to know the reason why? My first thoughts are that it might be my medication. Has anybody had any experience with their anti-depressant medication, whilst stabilizing one's mood, perhaps diminishing their ability to see enjoyment in things.Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Maggie_Mae telling my story here first before face to face with counsellor
  • replies: 10

Hi all, I've struggles with deppression on and off most of my life. My life looks great from the outside and is pretty good amazing husband and beautiful children. I have spent so much time forgetting my past and seemed successful till resently when ... View more

Hi all, I've struggles with deppression on and off most of my life. My life looks great from the outside and is pretty good amazing husband and beautiful children. I have spent so much time forgetting my past and seemed successful till resently when it all came rushing back to my memory. After several attempts of talking to a GP, I have done it and booked counsellor appiontment. I am scaried for the first time telling my story to be face to face so venting here first. Hope that's okay. i apologies as it may not be coherent.just need to get it out of my head Great childhood, loving parents life was good till one day in high school what seemed like a normal day changed in a split second. He pushed me up against the brick wall And my life changed forever, I was to scaried to speak up, grades dropped a teacher ask why I tried to explain I could see the frustration in her face and was told to speak to the counsellor if I have issues, he was less than helpful saying boys will be boys. I never talked about it again even though it continues for 2years. I turned to self harm and it seemed to help. I am not sure how or when but somewhere along the way i was able to live life and 'forget'. faat forward 10 yrd and life was good I was pregnant with my second child I went for on appointment and was rushed to hospital as my baby was In danger he was born few hours later. I remember looking at the doctors rushing around with all types of equipment and feeling like a failure as a mother for not protecting my child. Since then I have been living the days struggling with depression on and off till a few months back j decided to see a GP. I become so scaried to say out loud I need help I lied and ended up sitting in my car wanting to self harm once again. Which throw me straight back to the days of needing self harm to survive the pain. Forgetting the past didn't work so now it's time to deal with it. Thanks so much for reading sorey it was so long.

Jec Feeling scared

My name is Jess and Iam currently going through depression. Iv had a lot happen to me in the past three years. The loss of a relationship cos he didn't want children but than got a girl pregnant after three months. I got on with it I brought a house ... View more

My name is Jess and Iam currently going through depression. Iv had a lot happen to me in the past three years. The loss of a relationship cos he didn't want children but than got a girl pregnant after three months. I got on with it I brought a house but than lost my job and had to get room mates in . Iv had nothing trouble with room mates . Than I lost my licence and had to move away for work . I than got borders in while I was away. Than they decided to move out while Iam up the bay and struggling financially so now Iam sitting in the dark so afraid to move on I can't see the light at the end of the tunnel

Isa_197 Just about had enough...
  • replies: 1

Hi all, I don't even know who to turn to anymore. I told my partner I think I'm suffering from depression and he said I've just hit a rough patch. The problem is this rough patch has been going for close to two years. I feel sad and cry all the time,... View more

Hi all, I don't even know who to turn to anymore. I told my partner I think I'm suffering from depression and he said I've just hit a rough patch. The problem is this rough patch has been going for close to two years. I feel sad and cry all the time, have isolated myself from the few friends I had, don't want to talk to my family anymore and get no pleasure from doing anything. I haven't held down a permanent job for this time because I get anxious when I go into jobs and can't handle any pressure. So I quit. I went to see a doctor and they said I was suffering 'the winter blues' I went to see a psychologist (I tried two) and neither of them were very helpful. I really am at my wits end. What is the next step from here? Has anyone faced similar hurdles when trying to get help and how did you overcome them?

Maggie_Mae everything look perfect on the outside
  • replies: 44

Hi I am new here, after months ( honestly years) of refusing to accknowlege I may be deppressed I thought I would give this a go. From the outside I am very lucky I have a wonderful husband, beautiful health children. A home and people around me that... View more

Hi I am new here, after months ( honestly years) of refusing to accknowlege I may be deppressed I thought I would give this a go. From the outside I am very lucky I have a wonderful husband, beautiful health children. A home and people around me that care about me. But for some reason I have this hole inside of me a place that makes me forget the happiness I should feel for my life. I feel guilty for feeling sad I have no right too. There are so many people who are doing it tough, they can find happiness why can't I? How easy it is to pretend everything is fine, the front/face I put on every day. While inside I am scaried sad lost. Why is it easier to continue to pretend, than try to understand what's going on inside my head. I am not sure why it is easier to write than ever utter a word.

Hidden Comfort in the sadness?
  • replies: 3

Hi, I've been seeing a psychologist recently and although I find it useful I still find it hard to completely open up about howI feel and ask questions openly. It's in my nature to want to know the answer to every question I ask and so I tend to do m... View more

Hi, I've been seeing a psychologist recently and although I find it useful I still find it hard to completely open up about howI feel and ask questions openly. It's in my nature to want to know the answer to every question I ask and so I tend to do my research online. However, there' s been one question I've found little information on. Depression has always been something I've battled with - more so in the past few months - and as much as it's consuming and distracting and I want nothing more than for it to disappear, I also find it comforting? Contradicting, I know. When I have good days I feel as if I shouldn't be and it's almost as if I'm waiting for the sadness to just settle back in. I know I should just 'enjoy it whilst it lasts' but It's so incredibly frustrating being in this frame of mind and I don't know if it's normal. When I'm okay i feel as if I've lied to my family and psychologist about how I feel when I'm bad and it makes me feel incredibly guilty, almost as if I faked the whole 'depression side of things (even though when I have bad days I know it can't be normal). I stuck between these two 'sides'. I know I need to get over it and just concentrate on getting better but i just can't. There's so much I don't understand and it consumes so much of my thoughts every second of the day. I feel as if I'm 2 different people fighting each other and accusing the other of being a liar. I don't know what to do anymore. It scares me that I feel comfort in my depression. I apologise if what I'm trying to say isn't clear, putting my feelings into words isn't my specialty. Hopefully someone will help me understand why I feel the way I do? Thank you.

Kaykay1994 I feel like a failure at life.
  • replies: 4

Hi all, I just need to vent, this has been eating at me... I feel like a failure.. By that I mean, life. I'm 22 years old, having a hard time finding employment and suffering from BPD and anxiety. My anxiety has been through roof lately.. As I'm just... View more

Hi all, I just need to vent, this has been eating at me... I feel like a failure.. By that I mean, life. I'm 22 years old, having a hard time finding employment and suffering from BPD and anxiety. My anxiety has been through roof lately.. As I'm just constantly so stressed, I can't sleep at night, I hardly eat and I'm just driving myself crazy. I have debt (car loan) and rego (due in sept) to pay off that I'm struggling with because I can't find a job at the moment, I've been out of work for almost 8 months now. I'm constantly on the look out for new jobs, constantly applying to anything and everything I can that I'm qualified in or think I have a chance in. I keep on thinking to things like " oh, if only I didn't stuff around at school", or "if only I stuck it out through my university degree", I keep on dwelling on the "what ifs" which I know is no use doing.. Whats the point in crying over spilt milk, right? But I can't help it. I feel like a loser, I feel like I'm letting my husband down, my mum down and everyone else around me. I can't keep relying on my husband, I honestly feel like I am a burden to him, even though he tells me that it's all okay and he is there to help me no matter what. I still feel like a sh*tty person. I always feel like that. I see everyone else around me, have good jobs, pay off their cars, starting to buy a house, and then theres me. I'm just pathetic really. I want my husband to be able to save his money. Buy things for himself that he deserves, but he can't because he's too busy handling all my crap, and all my expenses, because I'm too stupid to find a job for myself! WHY ? Not really a cry for help or anything, I guess I'm just really upset, I'm stressed and I don't have anyone to really talk too about this stuff. It's hard, I feel like I'm the only one.. When there is probably 1000s of others going through the same thing right now, but I just feel so alone. Thank you for taking your time out to read this xxxx I really do appreciate it xx

wolfphoenix New Diagnosis of BPD

This is my first post. I read something on here last night from someone else who is Borderline and it was helpful, so...I thought to write too I'm not sure what to say. I'm a 40 year old man. I was diagnosed a few weeks ago. It was a complete shock t... View more

This is my first post. I read something on here last night from someone else who is Borderline and it was helpful, so...I thought to write too I'm not sure what to say. I'm a 40 year old man. I was diagnosed a few weeks ago. It was a complete shock to me. I've always considered myself to be pretty self aware, but suffering from addiction and trauma issues....which I guess I do, but this has helped me to make sense of the suicidality, the way I do relationships....the list could go on and on..... I'm seeing a psychologist and medicating for depression and anxiety and sleep issues. The first week I just wanted to die. I feel completely delegitimated as a human being. I had some big dreams and i feel like they're toast. I'm really struggling with the stigma stuff around this disorder- like once you've got it, that's kind of it as far as ever being taken seriously. So....who do I tell? Or more importantly who do i NOT tell? I've just kept it to close friends and family I'm still in touch with. Also how do people deal with the overlap between your crazy and other people's crazy? Cuz I had a horrible experience with an ex who lied and had affairs, only now they seem to think that they've got a free pass on everything because of this diagnosis I started to feel like I was finding my feet with it after a week or so, but then I had therapy on Tuesday and....I don't even know WHAT got triggered. Something. Next thing I knew I'd drunk a six pack. I want to find other ways of managing to sit with that experience of pain or the void in myself, but I honestly don't know how to handle it. I'm an experienced meditator.....but some days it just engulfs me. I used to be a heavy smoker and hard drug user and I'm totally off all that for more than a year now, so....that's something I guess. It would be great to hear a little from other people with this condition who might advise on what's been helpful for them. I thank you in advance for your time and look forward to developing a bit of a peer group here. Wolf