Depression

Depression affects people in Australia every day. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with depression.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Jeriava How do I talk to my doctor?
  • replies: 9

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really ... View more

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really scared that they’ll judge me or won’t believe anything I say. I’m really anti social so I feel like I won’t be able to say what I wanna say or I’ll say the wrong thing causing them to just dismiss me and move me along without helping. I’m just tired of feeling alone, depressed and just worthless but I’m really scared to talk to them.

Chris_B Are you looking to support someone else with depression? PLEASE READ before posting
  • replies: 0

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and f... View more

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and friends with a mental health condition It's full of threads from people who have family members and friends going through anxiety, depression or other related conditions. Have a read through the threads there, and feel free to take part in the discussions. Below are also some helpful beyondblue resources you might want to look through first as well: Supporting someone Have the conversation

AGrace SELF HELP TIPS FOR MANAGING DEPRESSION
  • replies: 132

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the ... View more

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the 5 senses Distress Tolerance – Accepting Emotions and Self Soothing Distraction – Put the thoughts/feelings aside and come back to them when you are ready to deal with them Positive Affirmations – Have some affirmations written down repeat them to yourself daily Sleep/Exercise/Diet – All 3 aspects of our lifestyle can impact the way we think/feel Increasing Pleasurable Activities – Engage in at least one pleasurable activity per day

All discussions

Thecrazychick I don't really want people to know I've gone backwards.
  • replies: 8

Joined two minutes ago. Having bad days for first time in a long time and felt the need to talk. I don't really want people to know I've gone backwards. I've been transitioning off meds. And yesterday it suddenly all hit like a bolt. I was back to be... View more

Joined two minutes ago. Having bad days for first time in a long time and felt the need to talk. I don't really want people to know I've gone backwards. I've been transitioning off meds. And yesterday it suddenly all hit like a bolt. I was back to being the terrible, screaming, bad tempered, irrational, weepy mother that I haven't been in so long. And it SHOCKED me. How awful I was. Because I forgot. And because that was what my kids had to deal with for so long. They are such beautiful kids and they deserve better. And it's so eye-opening to go from fine to that overnight. Because you really see it clearly. If it had happened that suddenly at the beginning it wouldn't have taken so long to get help. Because it was pretty obviously a sick lady. And now I just sit. And cry. Crap

Katherine22 Need support from people that get it please.
  • replies: 13

Hi I've been on this forum before but it's been a while. I was really well for about 6 mths but in a really bad place at the moment once again I've had depression for 15 years now I Left my job today as I couldn't cope anymore with the long days and ... View more

Hi I've been on this forum before but it's been a while. I was really well for about 6 mths but in a really bad place at the moment once again I've had depression for 15 years now I Left my job today as I couldn't cope anymore with the long days and trying to pretend I'm ok whilst being an anxious depressed mess thanks in advance

Dennis38 A friend wrote this and with her permision i am posting it here really shows the fight.
  • replies: 3

A friend of mine wrote this and with her permission I am posting it here. This screams to me of the fight that we all go though..depression is a rough thing but despite the lies it tells us...each and every one of us is way stronger then we thought! ... View more

A friend of mine wrote this and with her permission I am posting it here. This screams to me of the fight that we all go though..depression is a rough thing but despite the lies it tells us...each and every one of us is way stronger then we thought! And he said to her "You're worthless."She bowed her head in acceptance. And he said to her "No one could love you."She felt the hurt each time they left. And he said to her "You are grotesque."She gazed in the mirror and saw the truth in his words. The more he said to her, the more the darkness consumed. And he said to her "You should rid everyone of your pathetic existence."She raised her head and meekly replied "No." The war began and every battle was hard fought. Painful sobs. Screams of victory. Agony from defeat.And he said to her "Just give up. You are tired of fighting me. Of fighting what you know is truth. You are worthless. Ugly. Stupid. Needy. Unloved and barely tolerated. End it!"She let the tears fall freely as she looked him in the eye...."No." To me this was a very strong message! We all think that we stand alone in the dark, yet reach out my friends and you will find a hand there willing to help you into the light, to help you get back onto your feet and once again hold your head up high. You truly are worth the effort even though the depression lies and tells you that you are not! Keep fighting for YOU are worth the fight!

Magyarok Life's Frustrations
  • replies: 3

Hi All, I haven't been here for quite some time but here i am back again! Just feeling really frustrated at the moment. Frustrated at work, really not enjoying it at the moment, too much pressure, unreasonable expectations and inconsistencies. Not ha... View more

Hi All, I haven't been here for quite some time but here i am back again! Just feeling really frustrated at the moment. Frustrated at work, really not enjoying it at the moment, too much pressure, unreasonable expectations and inconsistencies. Not happy at home either, i doubt that i would still be there if it wasn't for my daughter. Never ending financial stresses as well. So not happy at work, not happy at home, too many stresses and frustrations! I can't eat properly because of all the stomach cramps i am getting, especially in the evenings. Feel emotionally detached, all i feel is frustration and irritability in varying degrees. My only savior is my strict exercise regime, gives me something to focus on and look forward too, i really don't know where i would be without it! I guess life is what it is just gotta get on with it i suppose but definitely not enjoying life at the moment. Irritable and frustrated! Thanks for listening to my rant Take Care Magyorok

james1 (Re)learning how to concentrate
  • replies: 27

Hello everyone, One of the things I seem to be struggling with is concentrating. Dissociation and obsessive thoughts aside, I seem unable to really do anything that requires mental work. I think it's a major obstacle in me getting my life really prop... View more

Hello everyone, One of the things I seem to be struggling with is concentrating. Dissociation and obsessive thoughts aside, I seem unable to really do anything that requires mental work. I think it's a major obstacle in me getting my life really properly on track because it means I can't work properly, and I can't write either which I want to do as a productive hobby. I've tried things like getting up and going for a walk and listening to music (which is my version of mindfullness/meditation), but the best I can manage is writing stream of consciousness which I just get fed up with anyway. Anyone have any ideas? I know I shouldn't be too hard on myself about it, but it's pretty darn infuriating. James

blujeans96 Overemotional in a good life
  • replies: 5

I have suffered from anxiety and depression for a couple years now. Ironically it has been since my life took a positive and happy turn and the reality of my past began to weigh down. Since my life was positive, it made me feel like it was a happy bu... View more

I have suffered from anxiety and depression for a couple years now. Ironically it has been since my life took a positive and happy turn and the reality of my past began to weigh down. Since my life was positive, it made me feel like it was a happy bubble that if I wasn't careful would burst and I would be back to square 1. It has been a lot of ups and downs of believing it is a condition and is not just my persona. I spent a long time thinking it was just how I was because, hey, my life was stressful but it was full of positive things, my life was amazing, I had supportive people around me and still do, but I couldn't just sort myself out and be happy, I couldn't stop criticizing and micromanaging myself to be as positive as I was in the past. I feel angry that my past got the positive happy person that my current positive life and people deserve and that iI feel I always do or say something wrong if I don't manage myself... like I impact those around me without meaning to. I feel like if I do in fact impact those people I will lose what's important to me. Anxiety sets in. I take too much responsibility on myself to care for those around me and achieve more, and don't understand when I can't handle it and the stress that comes with it. I have this need to constantly test and push myself because 'I have to be able to do better and be better'. I have progressed to being very internal because in a lot of cases I work myself into the ground and convince myself that I cannot change because I cannot cope and I am exhausted. I am overemotional, I just feel too much, consider too much, consider too many different options or reasons I may feel that way or how I may make someone else feel that way. I recently found out my husband finds it to be hard work being around me as he is always trying to make me happy but only succeeds for short periods of time before I recede again because I feel irrational that I have done something wrong. People ask what I'm thinking, and trying to capture my thoughts and express them is like trying to catch confetti in a wind tunnel, each confetti piece being a thought. I am working on being more self-aware and have been seeing a counselor, but I'm just wondering if there are others that experience this and if they have advice. I feel like I can't express myself to my counselor, but I just hope someone out there understands and it's not just me. I'm working on myself, I know I can get through it I just don't know HOW.

HardyBoyz I don't have much sense of accomplishment
  • replies: 2

I am currently unemployed, and I do not feel motivated to get much done, and when I do finish something I sometimes feel even more bashful. Any advice in overcoming this would be greatly appreciated.

I am currently unemployed, and I do not feel motivated to get much done, and when I do finish something I sometimes feel even more bashful. Any advice in overcoming this would be greatly appreciated.

Snowbear Is it depression
  • replies: 6

Hi Everyone, I've been going through a tough time the last 12 months. Loss of job due to sexual harassment & bullying that lasted a long time and slowly been coming to terms with the situation. Now at university trying to follow another career path. ... View more

Hi Everyone, I've been going through a tough time the last 12 months. Loss of job due to sexual harassment & bullying that lasted a long time and slowly been coming to terms with the situation. Now at university trying to follow another career path. I am having difficulties distinguishing depression from normal down feelings. How do you know for sure its depression? When a doctor ask me how I feel I struggle to answer. My daily routine is get up around 6-7am, have coffee and study, by 10-11am I am back in bed. the general feeling I have is that I need a rest but I feel that something else may be going on under the surface. Am I hiding from something? Am I really that tired each day? do I really have a cold? I just can't figure it out and why I am going to bed so much. I do try leave the house, I have some shows I enjoy watching, books I like read. I do stuff but i am not consistent, theres no balance and the sleeping takes over. I feel like I could be trying to get away from something or a feeling but I don't know what it is. I am seeing a GP, psychologist and psychiatrist one told me when I feel like going to bed just go for a run...thats easier said than done. I struggle with chores, paying bills, appointments and sometimes brushing my hair. I just don't care. I wish I knew why though. Any thoughts would be great.

The_Possum Psychic
  • replies: 6

Hi all I feel really weird for posting this because I've raised this before with a few people who think that I am crazy. Is it possible to be psychic triggered by your mental illness? I have tested the theory more than once and have been right each t... View more

Hi all I feel really weird for posting this because I've raised this before with a few people who think that I am crazy. Is it possible to be psychic triggered by your mental illness? I have tested the theory more than once and have been right each time. It's not things like lotto numbers or telling the future like a clairvoyant claims to be. It's a feeling I get inside my heart of people, I can feel what they feel and it's enough to alert me to their pain or sorrows. Or I dream that people are in trouble etc These things then turn out to be correct. I'm a very intelligent woman, straight A student, HD's at uni etc So I'm not the type to buy into things if I didn't have solid facts. But people think I'm crazy and because I was diagnosed bipolar last year it's easy to just lumber me into a category etc etc Having said that I never felt so deeply about people as I have since been diagnosed last year. I feel my emotions are heightened and I feel auras of emotions by been in a room.. It's quite painful for me. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't type it, I don't feel like be bagged out for what I'm saying here. But was just hoping someone might be able to understand and relate without judging. The experience is painful for me. These are emotions I don't want to be feeling when I have my own emotions and problems to be dealing with. Thank you x

Gravity Struggling to cope
  • replies: 1

Hi everyone, Ive posted a few times in the past and things seem to be going okay then I get somewhat blindsided by something totally out of left field. This is another one of those occasions. im nearly a 40 year old man who lives and works in the LGB... View more

Hi everyone, Ive posted a few times in the past and things seem to be going okay then I get somewhat blindsided by something totally out of left field. This is another one of those occasions. im nearly a 40 year old man who lives and works in the LGBTIQ community, I'm typically surrounded by supportive people most of the time and whilst I am grateful, I can't help but think that they don't actually know me and if I wasn't around then they wouldn't notice. I'm sure a few people are saying I'm being melodramatic and sometimes I even think that. I feel isolated from those around me, I rarely get asked to do things with others and when I ask people to do things I often get no response. I feel lonely just about all the time and it is getting harder to cope with these feelings, most people my age have families, partners and something to show for their life. I don't have any of these things. The person I class as my best friend is a lot younger than me, also my ex partner who I live with. They've just started a new relationship and I feel like our friendship isn't important to them anymore. It may sound like I'm jealous and in some ways I am but not in the way you would think. I miss that companionship etc it's hard to explain without getting emotional. Im just struggling to cope with everything right now, feeling really lost and questioning my place in the world. I keep thinking that after nearly 40 years of life I should just be able to just move on, make new friends and not dwell on the loneliness. Not sure what to do anymore.