Depression

Depression affects people in Australia every day. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with depression.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Jeriava How do I talk to my doctor?
  • replies: 9

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really ... View more

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really scared that they’ll judge me or won’t believe anything I say. I’m really anti social so I feel like I won’t be able to say what I wanna say or I’ll say the wrong thing causing them to just dismiss me and move me along without helping. I’m just tired of feeling alone, depressed and just worthless but I’m really scared to talk to them.

Chris_B Are you looking to support someone else with depression? PLEASE READ before posting
  • replies: 0

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and f... View more

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and friends with a mental health condition It's full of threads from people who have family members and friends going through anxiety, depression or other related conditions. Have a read through the threads there, and feel free to take part in the discussions. Below are also some helpful beyondblue resources you might want to look through first as well: Supporting someone Have the conversation

AGrace SELF HELP TIPS FOR MANAGING DEPRESSION
  • replies: 132

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the ... View more

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the 5 senses Distress Tolerance – Accepting Emotions and Self Soothing Distraction – Put the thoughts/feelings aside and come back to them when you are ready to deal with them Positive Affirmations – Have some affirmations written down repeat them to yourself daily Sleep/Exercise/Diet – All 3 aspects of our lifestyle can impact the way we think/feel Increasing Pleasurable Activities – Engage in at least one pleasurable activity per day

All discussions

Alexander_Horse How to move on, to deal with procrastination, rumination and reconciliation
  • replies: 8

Hi all I posted sometimes last year when I was in a really bad way, although my threads have disappeared, archived maybe. It helped and I thank those who supported me. My family especially has stuck by me although I have been very toxic to be around ... View more

Hi all I posted sometimes last year when I was in a really bad way, although my threads have disappeared, archived maybe. It helped and I thank those who supported me. My family especially has stuck by me although I have been very toxic to be around and I need to reconcile with them. I'm far from well but a lot better than what I was. I came off meds in July. I found they fogged me up. I'm not in therapy anymore. The shrinks thought I was well enough to carry on. I tend to agree but there is a lot of wreckage. The problem I'm encountering is massive procrastination and rumination. I've basically been sitting tight for more than a year. That was necessary to begin with, when my anxiety levels were off the chart and I was at risk. But those have subsided to a point where I don't have physical symptoms. I've got comfortable sitting tight, kind of accept my situation but really need to get back on my feet. Any advice on how to do this? I mean from people who have been there. I know I can find stuff online about this. I have a backlog of stuff to do which sometimes seems overwhelming, so I don't do it. I fear a relapse but we're moving house so I have to get moving, literally. Does this make any sense? What is the next step please?

Saber01 Please read. I just need someone to listen to me.
  • replies: 5

I've been suffering from depression for i think a year and a half. The peak happened at the beginning of this year but I'm gradually getting better. I even think I'm almost healed up now from depression. However, I started looking through at my old m... View more

I've been suffering from depression for i think a year and a half. The peak happened at the beginning of this year but I'm gradually getting better. I even think I'm almost healed up now from depression. However, I started looking through at my old messages with some of my close friends and I can tell how my I have changed. I used to be so carefree and joke about everything, and was very close with my best friends. Now I really struggle with showing affection to my close friends. It's like I'm trying to control my emotions all the time. I just want to get back to that old self. She was secure about her friendship and have no problems saying I love you to her friends. The me now feel anxiety from messaging people I care about holiday greetings or birthday greetings. It's like I don't even deserve to greet them. It's like the only time I'm myself is when I'm drinking alcohol. I don't want to be addicted, but its only when I had alcohol I have the confidence to be honest to everyone. I just really want to be my old self back. The self that I used to love.

acute-ava I am a borderline
  • replies: 6

I work a very demanding job, and I have spent the last few months counting down the days until my annual leave. I was feeling exhausted and I wanted to have a "stay-cation" at home, complete gardening projects and relax. It has been far from relaxing... View more

I work a very demanding job, and I have spent the last few months counting down the days until my annual leave. I was feeling exhausted and I wanted to have a "stay-cation" at home, complete gardening projects and relax. It has been far from relaxing. I work a demanding job, but it is no-where near as demanding as spending time alone with this brain. I am staving off depression, again, for the umpteenth time. A big part of this has been reflecting on the 'celebratory' period, Christmas, etc. Christmas is supposed to be about connection, and I came face to face with how disconnected I feel. The truth is, many of my relationships are points of escape from being alone. Particularly my romantic relationship, which is often times abusive (I am on the recieving end). But the vile things he says about me are nothing compared to the vile things I say about myself. Although, I have spent the last 6 months dedicating one- two days a week to therapy, I never mention it to anyone. I don't talk about the medication I am on and how it is making me sweat waterfalls in the summer. This mental illess is a big chunk of myself, my personal history, my hopes for the future and it is just absent from my relationships for the most part, because nobody likes a Borderline. We are supposed to be evil, crazy, manipulative, selfish, self-destructive, moody, annoying. I try to suppress the Borderline so much in my relationships, and I would never, ever share the diagnosis, ever. I haven't even shared it with one of my primary doctors. Anyway, so there are multiple parts to this:- I am afraid to be alone. But, not being alone is playing along with a farce, and also tolerating abuse. So, I did not feel the "spirit of Christmas". I felt more alone than ever, because it's getting harder to tell myself that my friends & partner know me and love me, and that these relationships are meaningful and fulfilling. I tell myself these sweet little stories all the time, but they are not the full picture- just like I am not the full picture to most people around me. But, the truth is, I have this illness, and I have a trauma history of sexual abuse. And every day is a battle. I just wanted another human being to hear the truth for once.

Hmm No real friends to talk to in person re how i feel
  • replies: 4

Hi Struggling with emotions on my own... Every single moment if I'm not distracted is a battle inside me. Worse lately, noticeably, constantly working on every second to not feel shit in every moment. Super annoying on buses (the crying). Exhausted. View more

Hi Struggling with emotions on my own... Every single moment if I'm not distracted is a battle inside me. Worse lately, noticeably, constantly working on every second to not feel shit in every moment. Super annoying on buses (the crying). Exhausted.

BBUser36 I feel like I have no one
  • replies: 2

Hello, I am new to this forum and really don't know where to start, but I'll try my best For my whole life, I have been raised in a very very religious household. I don't want to get into too much detail, as it is a very broad topic in my life, but I... View more

Hello, I am new to this forum and really don't know where to start, but I'll try my best For my whole life, I have been raised in a very very religious household. I don't want to get into too much detail, as it is a very broad topic in my life, but I have never really made any friends because my family doesn't really like me talking to people outside of the religion. I feel as if this has become a major issue as of recent, because I feel like I have absolutely no one who really cares about me, and a family who will limit contact with me once I come out as gay and leave the religion. All of this has accumulated throughout my early-mid teen years, in which I was very anxious and depressed 24/7, leading me to become extremely underweight to this day, and having no positive image of myself. Now, I am still no better than I was back then, nothing much has changed, I still struggle to get out of bed in the morning and talk to anyone, because I've been taught from a young age that all people will do is bring pain to me, so its better not to talk to them. I don't have many friends, and most of them tend to ignore me and get angry when I try to talk to them about anything, telling me to bother someone else because I'm too needy (their words). The one close friend I have, who I don't deserve, is the only one I really talk to anymore, and even then, I struggle with the negative thoughts about how "he doesn't really wanna talk to you" and "he is talking to you because he feels bad". I feel like I haven't really felt anything for a long while now, the only productive thing I can do anymore is draw, and am worried that I will continue to get worse as time goes on. My medicine and therapy haven't done much to help me, and I worry if I'm a lost cause. I have no idea on how to cope with this, but I hope that made sense, Thank you for reading.

Code_Blue I Feel Trapped and Helpless. Is there really hope out there?

Hello. You can call me Blue. Just as the title says, I feel hopeless and stuck in a rut. I have a strong desire to become happy, content, and dignified, but it just doesn't happen to me, almost ever. First and foremost, I apologize in advance if my e... View more

Hello. You can call me Blue. Just as the title says, I feel hopeless and stuck in a rut. I have a strong desire to become happy, content, and dignified, but it just doesn't happen to me, almost ever. First and foremost, I apologize in advance if my english/grammar is excruciatingly difficult to understand. I am both Asian and mentally ill, so please bear with me. My problems started in primary school, where I was badly mistreated by my peers. My mom and dad were very gentle and loving people, hence, I was well taken care of and very sheltered. Because of this, I grew up to become a principled but, very emotionally sensitive child. This made me a target for bullies, who took advantage of my pacifism, meekness, and sensitivity. The experiences I had were like that of a bullying scene in a movie, sometimes worse. Verbal abuse was much more painful than physical ones. I was often called names, pushed into the urinal, physically beaten, shoes and lunch money robbed etc. But what hurt me the most was the public humiliation. While most people consider their high school graduation as one of the happiest moments in their lives, I consider mine the worst. A graduation hymn was sung towards the end of our graduation ceremony. Imagine being around 500 students singing, distorting the lyrics with such disgraceful words that target only you. I was crushed. I was really crushed. I never recovered from that, and it gives me nightmares to this day. Having little self esteem and confidence, I grew up to become an escapist, trapped in my room playing video games, listening to music and playing the guitar. Later on, I started to became pretentious, delusional and conceited. I joined a band, tried to act cool, look cool, and occasionally bully weaker blokes. My academics suffered and I barely completed high school and uni. Because of that I dumbed down, and always have difficulty succeeding with work or study. Nothing has changed up to this day. Because of my shortcomings, everything in my life is suffering… career, health, relationships etc. I’ve had professional help for many years, but nothing they tried has ever worked on me. I believe in the efficacy of professional treatment, but I know that what’s best for me is to have a friend or relative to be around me, to mentor and guide me back towards normalcy. I really wish I had that person in my life, but I am just as bad with relationships. I only have 1 friend as a matter of fact. Thank you for listening. Blue.

eclips333 Finally seeking help

Hi guys, 26 year old male, been battling depression for as long as I can remember, but only recently acknowledged it to myself. It is starting to get a lot worse so I am ready to reach out for help. I am leaving for a 3 week work trip + vacation on S... View more

Hi guys, 26 year old male, been battling depression for as long as I can remember, but only recently acknowledged it to myself. It is starting to get a lot worse so I am ready to reach out for help. I am leaving for a 3 week work trip + vacation on Saturday, so ideally I'd like to speak to someone before then to help manage this while I am away. I don't know if I should be reaching out to a psychologist or a GP, but I know I need help. Who should I be trying to speak to so I can get an action plan before I head away? Thanks

indoor-cat Very sad. Very difficult

I want to cry I want to cry I want to cry.. This sadness.. just rises. It is like invisible water that is drowning.. drowning... suffocating... It has been a few days... A few days... I will get through... I can get through this... It is just difficu... View more

I want to cry I want to cry I want to cry.. This sadness.. just rises. It is like invisible water that is drowning.. drowning... suffocating... It has been a few days... A few days... I will get through... I can get through this... It is just difficult... It is consuming every bit and piece of my patient... It is exhausting.. exhausting... I know it will eventually go away. It is not away yet.. It is like a dark and thick cloud that covers my head all the time. I have used all my patient and effort to cope.. It is difficult...

Guest9870 My weight is pulling me back into a bad state of mind.
  • replies: 16

I was diagnosed with major depression at 14 as a result of traumatic childhood. Diagnosed with anxiety at 16. And adjustment disorder at 17. I had a serious suicide attempt this time last year. I have come a bit far mentally since then but there is o... View more

I was diagnosed with major depression at 14 as a result of traumatic childhood. Diagnosed with anxiety at 16. And adjustment disorder at 17. I had a serious suicide attempt this time last year. I have come a bit far mentally since then but there is one thing pulling me down. My weight and self image. I have moved into my own place recently as I turned 18 this year. I hate waking up because I’m my bedroom there is a huge mirrored wardrobe. I accidentally look at it every morning and that’s when it starts. I literally speak and say “oh my god look at you you piece of shit” and so on as I walk out my room. I don’t even think about how bad I’m being physically saying those things to myself it’s like a routine. If I sit on the couch and am wearing Pajama shorts and see my legs I have to cover them with a pillow so I don’t see them or I get angry (I would never wear proper shorts or dresses or skirts outside of my house I wouldn’t even wear anything that shows below my elbow) I could make plans with a friend to even simply go to a cafe but I can’t because I can’t find anything to wear and I can’t wear my sport leggings and a big baggy shirt to a nice cafe. So I cancel and it spirals from there everyday I tell myself tomorrow you’re eating healthy and exercising . Does it ever happen? Of course it doesn’t instead I sleep all day and cry about how much I hate myself without doing anything about it then I’ll get over it for a few days and the process repeats . But the other night was the last straw. I went to a club for the first time with my two friends I wore a skirt boots and a baggy kinda top I thought I looked acceptable. I am not one who cares so much about boys of course because I know I’m not worth anything no one would even glance at me. But when you see your friends being danced with all night with boys and being looked at by them and when you’re trying to dance with your friends a group forms with them and boys and you’re pushed out you can’t help but go buy a shot and a drink at the bar to get drunker to help get the feeling away of so much worthlessness and self hate that you want to go to the bathroom and scream and cry about how much you wish you were dead. But we went home I didn’t speak as they were talking about the boys who wanted them. And since then (2 days ago) I am back to my very depressed suicidal self from last year how can I lose weight I can’t live in this body anymore but I can’t change please tell me what to do please

Brig Hey team, trying to confront depression for the first time

Hey guys, in a rough patch at the moment I'm trying to actively do something about it but I'm really finding it hard to know where to turn. Unrelated to what's bothering me, I'm an active serving member in the ADF, and while we have squillions of res... View more

Hey guys, in a rough patch at the moment I'm trying to actively do something about it but I'm really finding it hard to know where to turn. Unrelated to what's bothering me, I'm an active serving member in the ADF, and while we have squillions of resources available to us, attempting to use any of those would have me unable to participate in the only part of my life I still find meaningful. I investigated using an alias and paying cash to see a GP and then get a referral for a psychiatrist. Doesn't seem to be feasible. I want to hang on to what is really important to me, but am on the verge of not being able to white knuckle it anymore. This post is just the first step for me, not a lot in it, but I needed to start somewhere to believe that there is a road to feeling better. Thanks for reading.