Depression

Depression affects people in Australia every day. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with depression.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Jeriava How do I talk to my doctor?
  • replies: 9

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really ... View more

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really scared that they’ll judge me or won’t believe anything I say. I’m really anti social so I feel like I won’t be able to say what I wanna say or I’ll say the wrong thing causing them to just dismiss me and move me along without helping. I’m just tired of feeling alone, depressed and just worthless but I’m really scared to talk to them.

Chris_B Are you looking to support someone else with depression? PLEASE READ before posting
  • replies: 0

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and f... View more

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and friends with a mental health condition It's full of threads from people who have family members and friends going through anxiety, depression or other related conditions. Have a read through the threads there, and feel free to take part in the discussions. Below are also some helpful beyondblue resources you might want to look through first as well: Supporting someone Have the conversation

AGrace SELF HELP TIPS FOR MANAGING DEPRESSION
  • replies: 132

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the ... View more

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the 5 senses Distress Tolerance – Accepting Emotions and Self Soothing Distraction – Put the thoughts/feelings aside and come back to them when you are ready to deal with them Positive Affirmations – Have some affirmations written down repeat them to yourself daily Sleep/Exercise/Diet – All 3 aspects of our lifestyle can impact the way we think/feel Increasing Pleasurable Activities – Engage in at least one pleasurable activity per day

All discussions

HayLee_ Just wanted to let it out
  • replies: 3

I think a lot of what I am feeling now and the state I am in, has been caused due to work related stress. My department is the most undervalued out of all departments in the organisation yet the most knowledgeable and busiest. Even though I have been... View more

I think a lot of what I am feeling now and the state I am in, has been caused due to work related stress. My department is the most undervalued out of all departments in the organisation yet the most knowledgeable and busiest. Even though I have been told I am lucky to have a job during this tough time, I question myself if that indeed true when I find myself in current state- wanting to be alone and wanting to cut everybody that’s close to me off but in fact, I want them to help me in whatever way possible to make me feel better. Anyway I just wanted to let it all out here because I don’t know if I could even share these feelings to my closer circle of people. I cannot stand them saying everything is going to be okay when I don’t see any helpful suggestions, if any from them. I have appreciated their kind words and being caring but now, it only triggers me to feel... kind of upset. Maybe they don’t know how to help me other than just telling me they are there to help if I ever needed but that’s what I hate about.. My friends and my boyfriend keeps telling me to reach out if I need help but I don’t see the points. They haven’t been in my shoe so they cannot understand what I am going through and their positivity bothers me. I am being very bitter and passive aggressive and my gp didn’t take this seriously when I last visited her asking for advice early this week. Inside my head, there are too many thoughts just fighting each other. The noises in my head are so noisy to the point I am getting physically symptoms like severe earache and headache. People say is it just a job but I take my career very seriously and not being able to control things in the business to make necessary changes over time broke me. My colleague and I both cried out of anger and frustration and every little task can now trigger me to get worked up and cry in a second. I need help but dont know what could help me.

Tiger_Lilly Stuck
  • replies: 11

Hi, I have been suffering from depression and anxiety for the last 20 years. I have seen psychiatrists during this time and have been on medication on and off as well. I found the medication was okay but then I would gain weight which then just added... View more

Hi, I have been suffering from depression and anxiety for the last 20 years. I have seen psychiatrists during this time and have been on medication on and off as well. I found the medication was okay but then I would gain weight which then just added to my problem and made things worse so felt that while one thing may have been getting better, then I another problem would replace it being the weight gain. The last psychiatrist I saw was a few years ago and she retired and so that was that. I thought I would try to get better myself but for the last two years it is just getting worse and I just feel so alone now. I live by myself. I don't really have anyone to talk to, most of my friends over time have gotten married and were too busy and then I found that it was hard to keep close friends when single as I always felt left out and then eventually I found it hard to go out and then they finally disappeared. My family don't really get it, they say they do but they are never there when I need to talk, I find it hard to talk to them about it, my siblings do not really support me, I find that as they're lives are going good, they are too busy to notice that I am struggling so I keep it all to myself. I am just so lost and feel very isolated and just find the people around me are just not good people to talk to. They will either say that may be I should go on medication or get out more but it is so difficult to go out when you're alone and have no one to rely on for that. Sometimes I wish I could just go into another world and start over again which I know sounds weird but I just have lost faith and trust in people I don't even feel I can trust anyone to talk about this without them mentioning it to someone else. I just really feel so stuck.

Bluemotho419 Bipolar rollercoaster
  • replies: 4

Hi all I'm new here and not really sure how this goes or where to start but there's so much to get off my chest so here goes firstly I'm 27yo single mother was diagnosed with depression then later on bipolar and BPD last year after having a very publ... View more

Hi all I'm new here and not really sure how this goes or where to start but there's so much to get off my chest so here goes firstly I'm 27yo single mother was diagnosed with depression then later on bipolar and BPD last year after having a very public episode and being hospitalized I ended up moving back to my parents along with my kids to get ontop but I find it really gets me down im such a burden and such a failure to my parents and my kids and this rollercoaster just never stops I go when I was younger I did drugs since having my kids I just smoke heavily and gamble ohhhh I gamble so badly it's getting out of control round and round this rollercoaster everytime I work so hard to get ahead I always stuff it up and end up right back where U started I feel so alone and so depressed I just don't see a future and I eff everything up every chance I have I blow it and I hate myself so much for being this way I hate that I can't just get over it and do better I love my kids so much and there the only reason I'm still going but then at the same time I feel like I'm such an absent mother and a terrible roll modle sometimes I really feel like everyone would be better off without me I don't need any sympathy im just venting really wondering if there is anyone else like me because I feel like an alien

Vagrant Depression/Anxiety/etc
  • replies: 7

Hey! Urgh, 32 recently. Had some 1on1 before with professionals but always found they were lacking. I've never had any ambitions in life, I'm very (woah insite into very!!! :O) lonely but from previous experience have shut myself off from others due ... View more

Hey! Urgh, 32 recently. Had some 1on1 before with professionals but always found they were lacking. I've never had any ambitions in life, I'm very (woah insite into very!!! :O) lonely but from previous experience have shut myself off from others due to having being hurt by the 1 long term partner I had? Dad died when I was still preteen (from memory). Just looking for people to take to... looking for validation in existence I guess? Have a staffy that is centre of my world. Dunno what to say or do. Just know I need to at least try? Guess just looking for god or bad human contact?

Daria_M Sorting Out My Life Before I End It
  • replies: 10

I feel like my depression is winning completely at the moment. I can't stop thinking about ending it all, i don't want to, last thing I really want to do but I just don't see a way out anymore. Life is too hard, relationship is too messy and I can't ... View more

I feel like my depression is winning completely at the moment. I can't stop thinking about ending it all, i don't want to, last thing I really want to do but I just don't see a way out anymore. Life is too hard, relationship is too messy and I can't fix anything. My family has come to stay for a few days, I'm scared after they leave that that will be it. In my head I'm sorting out who I would leave money to, and who will be responsible for dealing with my leftovers after I go. That scares me, I've never made plans before. A psychologist told me my vitamin d might be low, pfft yeah something is low, that's me.

claire9371 Opening up to Family About Mental Health
  • replies: 9

Hey! Would just like to start by saying I'm very new to this - I've only been diagnosed/on medication for depression for about 3 weeks. My current problem is telling my parents - I'm 19 and I lied to them about where I was going when I initially went... View more

Hey! Would just like to start by saying I'm very new to this - I've only been diagnosed/on medication for depression for about 3 weeks. My current problem is telling my parents - I'm 19 and I lied to them about where I was going when I initially went to my GP for a mental health care plan. I really need their support for what's to come - I can't keep up a facade when I start regularly seeing a psychologist - but am struggling to find the right time to open up to them and tell them I'm not doing well. I think it comes from mental health never being spoken about growing up and also just their judgement of my low moods and thinking I'm lazy when I lie in bed all the time, unable to get out. I want them to know there's a reason but I'm actually really worried about their response, just because I think it'll be really judgemental and not understanding. I'm sure some of you have been in the same situation - how did you go about bringing it up? And should I prepare by gathering information about my condition? I know they have no understanding/concept of mental health issues - or maybe they just hide it really well? Honestly I'm just really confused. I think that by not telling them it's like this barrier between me and booking an appointment with a psychologist and just getting better in general. I totally recognise I'm lucky to have parents at all and I should just be honest but I think my anxiety is definitely stopping me. Thanks in advance for your help! Claire

Guest_9466 Grieving for my dog and loss of freedom
  • replies: 8

Hi there, i recently lost my fur baby, Pippa after a brief illness. Pippa was 13 years old. I now felt so lost without her. Every minute in my home reminded me of Pippa. I am trying to adopt a rescue dog but since I am looking for a small, young dog,... View more

Hi there, i recently lost my fur baby, Pippa after a brief illness. Pippa was 13 years old. I now felt so lost without her. Every minute in my home reminded me of Pippa. I am trying to adopt a rescue dog but since I am looking for a small, young dog, it is almost impossible to find one. If there is any for adoption, the asking adoption price is as much as paying, if not more than for a puppy that one can purchase from a pet shop. The rescue dog also comes with a huge list of criteria to fulfil. I am now thinking of stopping the search and just focus on my mental health. Previously, when I felt down, I used to take a few weeks off to travel but with this pandemic crises, it just makes things difficult. So, I guess I am mourning for my lack of freedom as well. Thank you for your support.

Bluemotho419 Also binge eating struggles
  • replies: 4

Can't stop binge eating even tho I'm 20kg over the weight I'm happy at..still just can't stop eating when I start... has anyone overcome this ...? Please tell me how

Can't stop binge eating even tho I'm 20kg over the weight I'm happy at..still just can't stop eating when I start... has anyone overcome this ...? Please tell me how

Black_Forest Plastic is Poisen
  • replies: 0

People don't understand. They don't understand that depression feels as though we just a recyclable plastic bottle. I'm made and filled with water, emotions, happiness, and then I am just cast out to the world. I sit on a shelf waiting for anyone to ... View more

People don't understand. They don't understand that depression feels as though we just a recyclable plastic bottle. I'm made and filled with water, emotions, happiness, and then I am just cast out to the world. I sit on a shelf waiting for anyone to choose me. I watch as people come and go, glancing at me, noticing me, ignoring me. Then when that one person shows up, they take me and pay for me, as if I were just something that could be traded away, like a piece in their own games. Who, exactly, buys the water bottles? People that need the water, the happiness. But not always. So the thirsty and the full take the water bottles, and slowly drain me from the happiness inside me. I watch as it all pours out, and yet, despite the pain this gives me. I let it happen. Because this is my purpose. And when the thieves of my joy are satisfied, and I lay empty, they toss me. I am once again traded for money. Then they fill me with the water and joy from somewhere else, but whose happiness is this, I do not know as they force me to be 'happy' again. Even if I don't want to be. Whose joy did they steal? Just to continue my purpose and suffering? Well... nothing I can do about that. So once again, I am thrown on the shelf, waiting, waiting for the next person to buy my happiness for themselves. This continued, never stopping, never taking a break. There were people that chugged my hope and joy as fast as possible. Some only took small sips, draining me as slowly and painfully as possible. There was even a person that poured my heart straight into the dirt, for their own amusement. But after all that, I was content, because I was helping them, and they were letting me help. Not only that, but although they returned me to be filled back up, just to repeat this torturous cycle, it was better than me ending up in landfill. With all the others that were taken out of this cycle. I want to leave. But we all know how the plastic kills. So I must choose; live an eternity of pain and artificial, or leave and poison all around me. That is why, I am still content, I just need to last it out. 'Water is joy; but bottles are poison. Which sacrifice must be made?'

AnnaSpanna Is it my disorder or my job that’s making me want to quit?
  • replies: 3

Hi, I work in a call centre which has been abusing JobKeeper by forcing us to work 10 hours more per week than pre-COVID days. It's also increased the monitoring and scrutiny on us all to 11! Every call we make is analysed and dissected to a ridiculo... View more

Hi, I work in a call centre which has been abusing JobKeeper by forcing us to work 10 hours more per week than pre-COVID days. It's also increased the monitoring and scrutiny on us all to 11! Every call we make is analysed and dissected to a ridiculous level. The Thursday before last we had a meeting with our bosses about the situation and everyone had their chance to say how undervalued, scrutinised and disgruntled we all felt. When it was my turn, all I could do was cry and I couldn't stop for almost an hour! I think it was the relief of finally hearing that I wasn't the only one feeling stressed. I saw my GP a couple of days later because I was still feeling extremely low, and he gave me a medical certificate for a week off, which ends tomorrow! The problem is that I don't feel any better at all. I’d like to quit but will struggle financially if I do, and at 53, I might not be able to find another job, as they are scarce in regional Australia. I can't take SSRIs anymore due to a very rare side effect which could leave me blind. I don't know what to do. My boss is not the sympathetic kind at all. I’m just so confused, suggestions and advice please!