Depression

Depression affects people in Australia every day. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with depression.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Jeriava How do I talk to my doctor?
  • replies: 9

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really ... View more

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really scared that they’ll judge me or won’t believe anything I say. I’m really anti social so I feel like I won’t be able to say what I wanna say or I’ll say the wrong thing causing them to just dismiss me and move me along without helping. I’m just tired of feeling alone, depressed and just worthless but I’m really scared to talk to them.

Chris_B Are you looking to support someone else with depression? PLEASE READ before posting
  • replies: 0

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and f... View more

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and friends with a mental health condition It's full of threads from people who have family members and friends going through anxiety, depression or other related conditions. Have a read through the threads there, and feel free to take part in the discussions. Below are also some helpful beyondblue resources you might want to look through first as well: Supporting someone Have the conversation

AGrace SELF HELP TIPS FOR MANAGING DEPRESSION
  • replies: 132

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the ... View more

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the 5 senses Distress Tolerance – Accepting Emotions and Self Soothing Distraction – Put the thoughts/feelings aside and come back to them when you are ready to deal with them Positive Affirmations – Have some affirmations written down repeat them to yourself daily Sleep/Exercise/Diet – All 3 aspects of our lifestyle can impact the way we think/feel Increasing Pleasurable Activities – Engage in at least one pleasurable activity per day

All discussions

Postado Demotivated Struggle
  • replies: 3

Hello, I have been struggling with depression and disassociation for a long time now. I have trouble identifying feelings and emotions. Been seeing a psychologist who has been helping me out with hypnosis therapy. Stuff actually works.. I have begun ... View more

Hello, I have been struggling with depression and disassociation for a long time now. I have trouble identifying feelings and emotions. Been seeing a psychologist who has been helping me out with hypnosis therapy. Stuff actually works.. I have begun to disassociate less which I suppose it's good? But that means I am left dealing with all these emotions and feelings but I have not much idea of what they mean. Anyways the one feeling that I am struggling with the most is a feeling of emotional pain that comes whenever I try to do anything. Example I like drawing.. if I decide that I want to draw I have the initial motivation to come up with the idea but as soon as I pick up a pencil or make a move I get crushed by this overwhelming emotional pain. This happens when ever I try do something I 'like'... It seems the only thing I can do is lay down or sit still. Has anyone else experienced something like this or have an idea of what I could do to get past this?

Chook3 Lost
  • replies: 4

Hello I am really struggling atm. I have recently separated from my husband of 20yrs, it was a mutual decision but I am struggling so much, I feel so detached from everything even my own kids, I took on extra responsibility at work at the same time, ... View more

Hello I am really struggling atm. I have recently separated from my husband of 20yrs, it was a mutual decision but I am struggling so much, I feel so detached from everything even my own kids, I took on extra responsibility at work at the same time, I have a father who is sick and can no longer drive so my sister and I have stepped up and are doing everything we can for him, I feel like I have lost most of my friends as I am so detached, I will not speak to anyone who is a mutual friend of both me and my ex husband out of respect for him, I do not want anyone to feel like there in the middle so I have stepped back big time. I have minimul support one of my children has ADHD and is very angry atm, I feel like he is blaming me for our separation I feel so detached, so lost, so lonely, I miss my ex husband a lot but I know he doesn't feel the same, I am having a hard time trying to let go, I feel completely deflated, I feel like I do everything wrong and question everything I do and say, I feel like I have gotten to the point where I just am starting to give up because I just can't seem to fix myself, or my kids, I have never felt so alone

Leigh1987 Depressed because I don't like sex
  • replies: 9

Hello all, I have been suffering depression for years largely because I don't enjoy sex This means I will be a lifetime single which isn't the be all and end all but it still feels awful. Sex seems so fundamental to human happiness can I find a way t... View more

Hello all, I have been suffering depression for years largely because I don't enjoy sex This means I will be a lifetime single which isn't the be all and end all but it still feels awful. Sex seems so fundamental to human happiness can I find a way to be fulfilled without it?

Ely_ Dissociation and emotionless void

Any tips on how to stop dissociating? Last week my mum ignored me when I tried to help her understand my bpd more and then changed the topic. I got really angry and ever since I've been in an almost constant state of dissociation. I know that I need ... View more

Any tips on how to stop dissociating? Last week my mum ignored me when I tried to help her understand my bpd more and then changed the topic. I got really angry and ever since I've been in an almost constant state of dissociation. I know that I need to feel my feelings, I need to feel real and be 'in touch' with myself and my surroundings, including people. But just now it scares me and feels safer to block everything. I have tried grounding, meditation, distraction (makes it worse). My counsellor suggested watching emotional/funny videos. I tried earlier and nothing... Wtf is wrong with me.... I also just found out I have a sensory processing disorder, so that is messing with me a bit too.Tia xx Being like this is really bad for me, as I just bottle it all up and then explode at a later date. I can feel it roiling around waiting to ignite but I can't seem to let myself actually feel. It's like the walls are too strong. C-PTSD/BPD/Anxiety/Depression/Sensory issues are kicking my butt right now. It's like I'm being smacked down smaller and smaller and once I'm squashed small enough I'll just splat everywhere. Or like I'm one of those watermelons that people put all the elastic bands around..... Nothing...nothing..nothing...nothing...nothing.........................BOOM. Ely

Armagedeon Armagedeon
  • replies: 2

I have BPD and have just been very down for 2 and a half weeks. In that time I have self harmed. I was obsessed with my appearance during that time. Every time I looked in the mirror I wanted to self harm. I am now not self harming and am feeling rea... View more

I have BPD and have just been very down for 2 and a half weeks. In that time I have self harmed. I was obsessed with my appearance during that time. Every time I looked in the mirror I wanted to self harm. I am now not self harming and am feeling reasonably ok. However I watch Netflix where all people are beautiful and it starts me obsessing about my appearance again. My conversation is also mainly focused on that and it is naturally really annoying my friend. Any suggestions from anyone? Just as a final note I consider myself one of the ugliest people on the planet. I am doing things to distract myself, but the later is always in the back of my mind. If anyone is feeling like this now or has felt like this in the past please let me know and help me out somehow.

Depressed_mumma Lockdown extension announcement today
  • replies: 8

Hi. I’m new here. I spent almost 2 weeks in hospital for my depression in August and I came out desperately looking forward to the lockdown restrictions easing. I’m trying to work, homeschool my autistic prep child, look after my 3 yr old who can’t a... View more

Hi. I’m new here. I spent almost 2 weeks in hospital for my depression in August and I came out desperately looking forward to the lockdown restrictions easing. I’m trying to work, homeschool my autistic prep child, look after my 3 yr old who can’t attend childcare because my partner and I aren’t permitted workers. I have felt through all of this that I am doing a bad job at everything. I’m doing a bad job at work, I’m struggling to stay motivated in educating my child (and I’m a former teacher so this devastates me!), I’m grumpy with my three yr old even though she’s beautiful. I have no time left to love my partner properly even though he has been amazing in supporting me to get the help I need. I haven’t felt suicidal for a week or more (yay meds!) but today I’m struggling. I miss my friends, my family, my hobbies, my energy and myself. It would be nice to connect with others who found today disappointing, despite this lovely weather. I know things will get better but it seems so far away.

archimedes New and starting afresh
  • replies: 1

Hi , Im a 50 yr old man with three great children, I have a long history of anxiety and depression and generally not doing well at life. My wife has decided she wants a separation but until we sell the house we cannot live separately. Since the initi... View more

Hi , Im a 50 yr old man with three great children, I have a long history of anxiety and depression and generally not doing well at life. My wife has decided she wants a separation but until we sell the house we cannot live separately. Since the initial separation 6 months ago covid19 has affected my employer and i was made redundant, we are still gaining final approval for building a workshop on our property before we can put the house on the market. My mother revealed she was aware of the sexual abuse of my older sibling who perpetrated against myself when I was 10. Ive been reemployed because of the Jobkeeper financial support thankfully . I am experiencing elevated levels of stress and anxiety that i have never experienced before and only just coping with my crisis. I have sought help through psychologists and psychiatrists and taking medication to manage my situation. I have no other support network. I look back on a life of waste and squandered opportunity and find little or no solace in anything . The problems in my marriage were not totally my fault but most of the responsibility falls at my feet. I have never felt so isolated and alone with no hope in all of my life. I feel i have nothing left except my three children.

user981 Girl pushing me away

I was having a long distance relationship and 3 months in she started being different and ended up blocking me out of the blue for no reason. She told me later that she has had depression for several months and she got scared I might play her like al... View more

I was having a long distance relationship and 3 months in she started being different and ended up blocking me out of the blue for no reason. She told me later that she has had depression for several months and she got scared I might play her like all the other guys do. Since then she has just been different. There are times where she would push me away and not want to talk and tells me "don't talk to me" as if she is being a little aggressive/ upset. Sometimes she lies about things and the last month she has been lying about having a boyfriend. Recently she seemed more comfortable talking to me and opening up a little more so I decided to question her about this boyfriend she mentions occasionally. I knew it might not go well to tell her that the person doesn't exist. I don't know if she actually believes her own lie or not but she wouldn't admit anything instead she was saying goodnight trying to leave the conversation. Since that conversation she has been very different and has not wanted to talk to me and has been telling me that she needs some space and that she doesn't need anymore pressure on her. She used to be so close to me and seemed really happy to talk to me. She tells me now that she is not comfortable talking to me and to leave her alone. Is there something I can say to her to make her feel comfortable again? I guess for questioning her lies she pushes me away... I just want to be able to talk to her again.

Imagine When life doesn’t really get better...
  • replies: 25

Hi folks, Well, I’ve been MIA a while now. After my world fell completely apart, and every therapy offered to me through the system failed, I gave up seeking answers and threw myself into trying to build a new life. I’ve bought myself a house, learne... View more

Hi folks, Well, I’ve been MIA a while now. After my world fell completely apart, and every therapy offered to me through the system failed, I gave up seeking answers and threw myself into trying to build a new life. I’ve bought myself a house, learned skills I never thought I could learn, reached out socially, created a fb group for a personal interest that’s grown to hundreds of members and benefits charities and have continued to work all the while. But my chronic illness has remained unchanged, I am still in constant pain and exhausted, medically unfit to drive, stuck in a low paid job because I’m not physically capable of more challenging work, and I’m not one tiny bit closer to the dreams I lost. My house does not feel like a home even after 3 years and lots of work trying to make it my own, because I live alone with my pets. I feel like the life I have now is wrong for me, it’s not a bad life, I don’t mean to complain that I don’t have “enough”, I’m not ungrateful. But it feels like it doesn’t fit me and it chafes and makes me hurt deeply all of the time. Yes there are moments of pleasure in little things, but that’s just a band aid and offers no healing. I hide the depression because I’m either not wanting to burden the people I love any more than they have suffered already, or I’ve been told I should be over it by now (by people who have everything I’ve ever wished for). My question is, what do I do now? I’ve run out of things I can think of to try. My younger self’s dreams were to have a career and travel the world with the love of my life. I can’t think of any new dreams that even come close to those shattered ones. The career is impossible, travel financially out of reach even without COVID and well, love, love isn’t for me. I also lost the home that I had put my heart and soul into when my health failed before my marriage failed too. Would welcome advice please and thank you. There must be a way to learn to live with this quiet desperation, even if I cannot escape it. Thank you

tallulahgoesrawr Need some support anxiety/depression & feeling guilty
  • replies: 5

Hi everyone this is my first post, I have suffered from anxiety and depression for probably 10 years now, last year I decided to seek help and I started on medication - it has been a huge help and made things feel more achievable and definitely taken... View more

Hi everyone this is my first post, I have suffered from anxiety and depression for probably 10 years now, last year I decided to seek help and I started on medication - it has been a huge help and made things feel more achievable and definitely taken the edge off of my anxiety and has made it more manageable. however some days are worst than others and I find I still get burnt out rather easily - I work full time in retail and working during stage 4 restrictions is definitely taking a toll with the craziness and extra work we are doing every day. i have many down days and I feel as though lately my down days have been more often as I am isolated from a lot of friends and family I tried to talk to my mum about it but she doesn’t quite understand depression and that I just can’t help but feel sad/lonely/anxious etc she sees it as a sort of ungratefulness I often feel guilty that I’m sad or feeling down because I have a good life and I’m lucky and I don’t want to be ungrateful for all of the good things I do have but I still have the down days and I still have the anxiety and loneliness I do a lot of things to try to keep ontop of my mental health ie) eating well, routine, good sleep schedule, getting 10k steps a day, etc does anyone else feel this way?? Or maybe have some recommendations of things I could try to help?? thank you in advance tallulah