Depression

Depression affects people in Australia every day. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with depression.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Jeriava How do I talk to my doctor?
  • replies: 9

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really ... View more

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really scared that they’ll judge me or won’t believe anything I say. I’m really anti social so I feel like I won’t be able to say what I wanna say or I’ll say the wrong thing causing them to just dismiss me and move me along without helping. I’m just tired of feeling alone, depressed and just worthless but I’m really scared to talk to them.

Chris_B Are you looking to support someone else with depression? PLEASE READ before posting
  • replies: 0

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and f... View more

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and friends with a mental health condition It's full of threads from people who have family members and friends going through anxiety, depression or other related conditions. Have a read through the threads there, and feel free to take part in the discussions. Below are also some helpful beyondblue resources you might want to look through first as well: Supporting someone Have the conversation

AGrace SELF HELP TIPS FOR MANAGING DEPRESSION
  • replies: 132

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the ... View more

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the 5 senses Distress Tolerance – Accepting Emotions and Self Soothing Distraction – Put the thoughts/feelings aside and come back to them when you are ready to deal with them Positive Affirmations – Have some affirmations written down repeat them to yourself daily Sleep/Exercise/Diet – All 3 aspects of our lifestyle can impact the way we think/feel Increasing Pleasurable Activities – Engage in at least one pleasurable activity per day

All discussions

MsAnxious Depression and potentially losing a job
  • replies: 3

Hi all I have been dealing with depression and anxiety for a couple of years and am in the care of a psychiatrist. Recently I learned that my job is likely to be made redundant in the next 3 to 6 months. I have worked hard for this job and the income... View more

Hi all I have been dealing with depression and anxiety for a couple of years and am in the care of a psychiatrist. Recently I learned that my job is likely to be made redundant in the next 3 to 6 months. I have worked hard for this job and the income pays for our comfortable lifestyle. Without my job, we will need to drastically adjust the lifestyle. I have been feeling very upset since I learnt about the potential redundancy. My husband can’t understand why I am so upset. My mind is fixated on the likelihood of the job searches that I might have to go through, and the likelihood of not being able to find the same as good a job. Please I just need someone to tell me to get a grip and that all things considered losing a job is not that big a deal! For some reason I just can’t shake the doom and gloom. Any advice would be appreciated. Regards MsAnxious

Loosing_my_mind Need help
  • replies: 3

Hi, I feel so lost I don't enjoy anything anymore. I have bad social anxiety, don't leave my house, answer my phone or reply to messages... I had a hard time doing this... Can someone offer any advice

Hi, I feel so lost I don't enjoy anything anymore. I have bad social anxiety, don't leave my house, answer my phone or reply to messages... I had a hard time doing this... Can someone offer any advice

Soph_T The New Year
  • replies: 4

Hi, So if this doesn't prove how unlucky things are going for me right now, just know that I typed this all out and then as I was going to send I accidentally deleted it all. Very cool. Nothing has gone right in my life in a very long time. Regardles... View more

Hi, So if this doesn't prove how unlucky things are going for me right now, just know that I typed this all out and then as I was going to send I accidentally deleted it all. Very cool. Nothing has gone right in my life in a very long time. Regardless, I still had 50% faith in the idea that things would work out right for me. Despite being depressed for quite a while, a chain of just really unlucky things have happened to me recently. New Year's is coming up and I just don't know how to wake up and do it all over again. I have nothing going for me at the moment and I have no faith in the fact that I'll be okay. I think its been proven to me that there's no one coming to help me and I don't feel that I can keep pulling myself back up again. It's like sometimes when you don't want to go to sleep because you know you'll have to do it all again the next day, but it's a new year of the same nothingness. I feel very lost right now. I know, undoubtedly, that when I wake up on January 1st there will be nothing waiting for me. There will be no shiny car or perfect job...I will just be doing the same as I did on December 31st and December 30th...all over again. It doesn't so much represent another year of failed dreams to me as it does a limitless cycle that I can never seem to get out of. How could I ever be okay with doing this all again? Thanks for reading If you are into poetry then I really recommend this (this poem has helped me be a little more okay with being unsatisfied): https://allpoetry.com/A-Tear-And-A-Smile

Draven_J Immense Irritation
  • replies: 6

I am 25 Years Old, Trying STILL!!! To Get my Driver's License, but I have been Miss Diagnosed with Schizophrenia at 19, I am constantly having Driving Suspensions on my Permit, and Enforced to have Mental Reviews and Reports to VIC ROAD's Every 6 Mon... View more

I am 25 Years Old, Trying STILL!!! To Get my Driver's License, but I have been Miss Diagnosed with Schizophrenia at 19, I am constantly having Driving Suspensions on my Permit, and Enforced to have Mental Reviews and Reports to VIC ROAD's Every 6 Month's. I may be Restricted with my License If I Achieve One Soon Hopefully against my wishes also I don't have Direction for any Entry Job Suitable Pathways, besides RETAIL, and I don't even want a Career Ideally In that or maybe I do, I wouldn't want to do Warehouse and Hospitality Isn't for me either, The Rest of the Entry Job Industries aren't Ideal for me, and without a Bachelor Degree or Diploma's there's Limited Choice I am only Interested In Nutrition or Song Writing, but Not entirely sure If that would be suitable for me, and being 25* without having had a Prior Job Payed History, Only 11 Month's of Volunteer In a RETAIL Role that I don't Ideally want I don't even know entirely If I can handle a Bachelor Degree, with my Academic Capacity, I haven't done Year 12 VCE, I did Foundation VCAL, and I had my Personal Issues during 2012 - 2014 or something* Which Lead to that Miss Diagnoses* I mentioned above, even a Advanced Diploma or Regular Diploma would be a Shock, even a Cert IV would take Adjusting, as I'm not overly Interested In 98% of the Standard Academic Educational Curriculum, wither University or TAFE I've had a Dream to be Creative, but I don't have the Self Confidence to Pursue that with Society, and I never felt free to be Creatively Experimental at Home, Despite not having Issues at all otherwise

Kookaburra2001 Feel like I’ll never get better
  • replies: 8

At this point I don’t have the energy to try I’m exhausted I don’t wanna try it’s tooo painful I cried earlier when it was too painful to try and do the right thing aka take care of myself instead of just binge eating and doing nothing but watching F... View more

At this point I don’t have the energy to try I’m exhausted I don’t wanna try it’s tooo painful I cried earlier when it was too painful to try and do the right thing aka take care of myself instead of just binge eating and doing nothing but watching Fave shows and that release from the crying helped me shower and go shopping but it’s not enough and The release didn’t last long like may 6 hours before I started binge again aha help advice ? imma sleep not so sorry won’t be replying for around 12 hours

April30 Just want to run away
  • replies: 4

Hi, Feeling like I don't know how to cope with life anymore. I don't know what to do with my life, an honestly because of my anxiety and depression I don't want to do anything, just want to run away from life an go live in the bush.. But yeah can't r... View more

Hi, Feeling like I don't know how to cope with life anymore. I don't know what to do with my life, an honestly because of my anxiety and depression I don't want to do anything, just want to run away from life an go live in the bush.. But yeah can't really do that.. Ive just quit my job (for a few reasons..) and am moving back to my parents for a bit while I figure out what I'm gonna do, but I really just feel like I can't and don't even want to deal with life anymore honestly.. Also one of my best friends, I kinda fell in love with him, but pretty sure he doesn't like me back like that. Which obviously he doesn't have to. But it sucks. Cause I really like him, an I just don't really know how to deal with the feeling of loving someone but like knowing they don't love you the same. Just like why am I not good enough why can't I be what he wants.. An I know it's not really about being good enough or not, people just like different people.. But it still really hurts.. But it's just kinda a confusing situation.. I've told him I love him. An he said he loves me too. But I feel like from how he acts he means it more as just friends.. Cause he's never actually asked me out or anything.. I wish I had no feelings because I just care way too much about everything and get way too attached to people and it just hurts. Every time. An I can't do this anymore. Sounds real wussy.. But I'm so done..

Suicidaldepression Help for major depression and mood disorder
  • replies: 5

I have been depressed and suicidal almost my whole life . Im here because i recently want to get better now. I have never seen a doctor or phychiatrist or whatever i was told by family to see them at a young age because they know the trauma and thing... View more

I have been depressed and suicidal almost my whole life . Im here because i recently want to get better now. I have never seen a doctor or phychiatrist or whatever i was told by family to see them at a young age because they know the trauma and things i been through. What do i do i dont know whst to do nomore im sick of having to pretend to be happy everyday...

honeybee3 I think I’m mentally ill but I also think I’m being dramatic
  • replies: 5

I’m 21 years old and I’ve been a chronic procrastinator since I was in middle school. I can’t keep my room tidy for the life of me, I leave literally everything (even things I want to do) to the last minute, and it’s beginning to have an impact on th... View more

I’m 21 years old and I’ve been a chronic procrastinator since I was in middle school. I can’t keep my room tidy for the life of me, I leave literally everything (even things I want to do) to the last minute, and it’s beginning to have an impact on those around me. I don’t help around the house as much as I should, and my room is a mess. I hate it, seeing my room makes me miserable, and my parents are getting increasingly frustrated about it. I often sit and scroll through my phone / watch videos / play games that I’m completely bored with for hours but I can never bring myself to get up and do something else. Recently I’ve been desperately comparing myself to people with ADHD, anxiety, and depression, trying to find similarities that could explain why I’m like this - but I’m worried that I’m just trying to find an excuse, and that I don’t actually have any mental health problems. My parents think I’m just lazy and I think they might be right, but I can’t talk to them about my mental health or they’ll think I’m just making excuses. I honestly don’t know what the answer is, whether I’m just looking for excuses or if I actually need help. I feel like at home I can’t do anything but it doesn’t affect my work life - I still keep busy at work and do things there, but I can’t for the life of me get anything done when I’m at home or at uni. Does this sound like I’m just lazy / out of the habit of being productive, or may there be more to it? Who do I talk to to get help for this?

ChristianSa HELP! Feeling depressed after wife's family moved in with us - 1 year later, can't handle it anymore.
  • replies: 1

My wife’s family (mother and younger sister) decided to follow us and move interstate and they wanted to crash with myself, my wife and our two children. They were originally meant to stay with us until they could find work and a house of their own. ... View more

My wife’s family (mother and younger sister) decided to follow us and move interstate and they wanted to crash with myself, my wife and our two children. They were originally meant to stay with us until they could find work and a house of their own. That was just over a year ago. At first, it was nice having them to help with kids, but their habits and toxic dependence has eventually outweighed everything. My MIL has no motivation to find work, she doesn’t have a car license (expired) and we just discovered she lost her birth certificate so she can’t get her own house or do anything for herself. This just makes the light at the end of the tunnel fade to nothing. I can’t see any way that she will get it together and start acting more responsibly. Now we have had to move to a bigger house, my wife decided it was a good idea to INCLUDE them on the lease agreement for our house which I don’t know how the real estate let her without a birth certificate. Now I’m stuck with them living with us for the unforeseeable future. They live messy, the sister is law has no respect or boundaries for myself and the kids. She leaves her mess everywhere. I have talked to her over and over but no change in behaviour. She invites friends around with out asking or letting anyone know. Just last night she had a friend over and they were making heaps of noise which woke me as I was just falling asleep. She also rouses on the kids and is constantly having a go at them for small nit picky things. Every time I mention something or talk to my wife I get played off like I’m acting way too anal about things (different up bringings). I feel like I can’t say things and that I have no support in this house. Compounding this, I have just had a major hip operation and getting another knee surgery in a months time, I can’t do anything I love, I’m stuck at home with them all time, I can’t get away for the day and I can’t work at the moment. I’m always in pain and can’t/having lots of trouble sleeping. I have to leave the house for my surgeries and check-ups and everything I come back to the house it’s in a mess. I don’t know what to do? I’m feeling soo depressed and I can’t see things getting any better. I can feel my anger levels rising. So much in fact that I left the house last night and just sat in the car by myself for two hours before coming home. It’s been a year and I’m nearly at breaking point. Please help!

Ejuliet I don’t know what to do
  • replies: 2

I’m ready to go, I don’t want to be here anymore. I’m so sad, and so numb everyday. The only good thing about it is my sister. I’m so tired, and I’m so alone

I’m ready to go, I don’t want to be here anymore. I’m so sad, and so numb everyday. The only good thing about it is my sister. I’m so tired, and I’m so alone