Depression

Depression affects people in Australia every day. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with depression.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Jeriava How do I talk to my doctor?
  • replies: 9

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really ... View more

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really scared that they’ll judge me or won’t believe anything I say. I’m really anti social so I feel like I won’t be able to say what I wanna say or I’ll say the wrong thing causing them to just dismiss me and move me along without helping. I’m just tired of feeling alone, depressed and just worthless but I’m really scared to talk to them.

Chris_B Are you looking to support someone else with depression? PLEASE READ before posting
  • replies: 0

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and f... View more

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and friends with a mental health condition It's full of threads from people who have family members and friends going through anxiety, depression or other related conditions. Have a read through the threads there, and feel free to take part in the discussions. Below are also some helpful beyondblue resources you might want to look through first as well: Supporting someone Have the conversation

AGrace SELF HELP TIPS FOR MANAGING DEPRESSION
  • replies: 132

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the ... View more

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the 5 senses Distress Tolerance – Accepting Emotions and Self Soothing Distraction – Put the thoughts/feelings aside and come back to them when you are ready to deal with them Positive Affirmations – Have some affirmations written down repeat them to yourself daily Sleep/Exercise/Diet – All 3 aspects of our lifestyle can impact the way we think/feel Increasing Pleasurable Activities – Engage in at least one pleasurable activity per day

All discussions

Louie123 My relationship is over because of my depression.
  • replies: 5

I (female) think I’ve been depressed for months if not years now. I slowly pushed my kind, caring, loving supportive partner away. I am due to get help, my appointment is a few weeks away. But I felt like I was a burden, and he’d be better off withou... View more

I (female) think I’ve been depressed for months if not years now. I slowly pushed my kind, caring, loving supportive partner away. I am due to get help, my appointment is a few weeks away. But I felt like I was a burden, and he’d be better off without me. I struggled to connect with him, or anyone else. Because of COVID, I became a recluse. I withdrew from everyone, and everything. I blamed it on Covid but it was really me, wanting to hide away from everyone else. We stopped seeing each other as frequently, and our sex life fizzled. I’d get no joy out of anything, even the nice things he did for me. it’s only been 24 hours, but it feels like 24 years and I’m lost without him. We have a great connection, and when I wasn’t as depressed, we had the best times ever. Is it a selfish thing to ask him to hold on, and allow me to heal from my past. In hopes our spark comes back, and we can be the same couple we once were? In my heart I don’t think he wanted this to end. I don’t have a social life, and don’t have a friend close enough to vent too. He’s the person I turn too, and now I can’t. Id love some honest advice from someone who has been through this before and can help me.

Rainbow1234 High and low moods
  • replies: 3

Hi all, I have been having such a mixture of emotions for a long time and it’s getting harder to navigate. I have found I get extremely irritable at a drop of a hat and I can’t let it go, my once empathetic self is becoming lost. Once I am angry or d... View more

Hi all, I have been having such a mixture of emotions for a long time and it’s getting harder to navigate. I have found I get extremely irritable at a drop of a hat and I can’t let it go, my once empathetic self is becoming lost. Once I am angry or down I can’t pull myself out of this feeling, I tend to go through really high high’s like I am happy with how everything is going and really low low’s like I’m not where I need to be and play the victim internally. I overanalyse everything to the point it wakes me up during the night and it causes me to have less self esteem which I am worried will hold me back. I don’t want to talk to family or friends about this as I don’t feel close enough to share and I find it hard to approach the subject with my GP . I hold myself and my actions to a high standard which I think is part of my downfall and take on everyone else’s problems which I shouldn’t. I wouldn’t mind seeing someone or seeing what my options are but I don’t know how to move forward. any advice would be great.

Your-Pal-Jess Does beyond blue help?
  • replies: 10

I’m new to this site and thought I would just check it out as see if it helps me but looking through all the feeds, hundreds of people all trying to get help just in the last few days makes me feel more hopeless than ever. How do I get it all to stop... View more

I’m new to this site and thought I would just check it out as see if it helps me but looking through all the feeds, hundreds of people all trying to get help just in the last few days makes me feel more hopeless than ever. How do I get it all to stop feeling so hopeless and painful.

Davs Just lost my job and have a drinking problem
  • replies: 2

Hey am not exactly sure what to write here as it is my first time really admitting that there is anything wrong. I’ve been battling with depression for a while but have never tried to seek any help. Have also had a problem with alcohol and drugs for ... View more

Hey am not exactly sure what to write here as it is my first time really admitting that there is anything wrong. I’ve been battling with depression for a while but have never tried to seek any help. Have also had a problem with alcohol and drugs for a few years now and was just let go from my job today. I’m worried this is going to cause me to fall further into depression and maybe get worse. Not exactly sure what I’m asking for here.. but thought maybe I would post something to see if anyone could give any advice

Automaton Discussion: The Nature of Depression
  • replies: 8

This may be a bit of a grim topic, so either don't read on, if it's too hard to read, or try to bear with me, but I've been thinking about the nature of depression, and I've been wondering, is depression what makes a chased animal (prey) stop when it... View more

This may be a bit of a grim topic, so either don't read on, if it's too hard to read, or try to bear with me, but I've been thinking about the nature of depression, and I've been wondering, is depression what makes a chased animal (prey) stop when it is caught, and when it realises there is no hope of escape, stay down, and give up their life for the benefit of their predator? You see, I've come to realise that when I am depressed, it is usually a time when, ultimately, I see no way to live and make it in the world, when my own life and survival seem completely hopeless with certainty. As soon as there is the slightest glimmer of hope that I can survive and my life will be worth living, the burden on my heart and mind lightens, and my recovery from depression begins. As long as I act on it, of course. I wonder if this is depression's natural purpose -- to numb our senses just before sudden death, and reduce our physical suffering. If this is the case, then naturally it is only intended to happen just before we are killed, and not the way it happens in our human lives, where depression becomes its own prolonged state of mental and emotional suffering, when we are certain there is no way to make it. The reason we fall into such a prolonged depression has to do with our thinking lives, and in that case the cure in most of our instances is to *do* (without thinking too much), to connect with our inner calling, and seek genuine meaning in our existence, wherever we can find it. The most important thing is to realise that we are depressed either because we don't see any hope -- and so we need to get out there, explore, and find it (because, trust me, it *is* out there, always -- you just need to look outside the box you've been put in) -- or because our body is out of balance, and giving us the wrong signal -- in which case, for our health, we should take conscious effort to bring our body back in balance (with nutrition, medication, routine, healthy lifestyle, exercise, whatever it takes). I'm not sure if you're able to follow my reasoning here, but feel free to post your thoughts in this open discussion. Everyone's perspective matters, and there are no right or wrong answers here. I am thinking that by rationally understanding the reasons behind depression we can learn to better help ourselves when we are down, learn what we need to do to end it, and learn to predict its coming (to an extent). Would love to hear your genuine thoughts and experiences.

red_roses12 Useless
  • replies: 1

I'm new to this forum as I have no where else to talk about my constant head battles. I am a mother of 3 beautiful kids, who I feel deserve better. Two of my kids are to a previous tomultious abusive relationship and my other child is to my current p... View more

I'm new to this forum as I have no where else to talk about my constant head battles. I am a mother of 3 beautiful kids, who I feel deserve better. Two of my kids are to a previous tomultious abusive relationship and my other child is to my current partner. I have family with depression and anxiety and have inherited it along with possible ptsd. I am always so stressed about the little things the big things and everything in between. I have a huge amount of debt and struggle with everyday things. For the last 6 months at least I have been worse than normal. I am so constantly upset with everything I do and I feel like I'm always stuffing up and never doing anything right. I struggle to get my toddler to bed, to keep the house clean to remember things to even make dinner. I feel like a failure as a mum, as a person as a partner. I don't know what to do, it a constant circle and I can't snap myself out of it. I feel useless and not needed.

Billy318 Just venting
  • replies: 4

Premise I'm here to vent nothing more. I already lost all hope. I'm in a bad situation and it's all my fault. I've always been a fighter, strong, never gave up. Had to fight since I was 15 (37 now). But I guess life has a funny way of putting you dow... View more

Premise I'm here to vent nothing more. I already lost all hope. I'm in a bad situation and it's all my fault. I've always been a fighter, strong, never gave up. Had to fight since I was 15 (37 now). But I guess life has a funny way of putting you down, it eats at you one piece at a time. And before you know it, the hole is so deep you can't get out. I've always been depressed, but didn't give too much thought to it. And yes I seeked help: therapists of all kind but nobody could help. Hell, I even became one myself. What finally got to me was my ex wife. She was the only person I trusted, and for 13 years I did everything to make her happy. Yet, when I was at my lowest point she betrayed my trust and left me for dead. Yes you read it right, I tried to commit suicide and she didn't even care. The past year as been the worst year of my life and it just got worse. I don't have a job, no human contact and above that I'm even in debt. The only thing that kept me alive is my lovely daughter. However, since I can't be a good father for her, I don't see the point of being around. She might be better off without me, it looks like her new stepfather can offer her more than I can. This is my short story. Obviously there's more to it than that, but I wouldn't want to bore you to death.

anonymousguy123 My life sucks
  • replies: 7

First time poster, i did a random search for depression forums today because im feeling particularly low. I'm a 35 y/o male who doesnt know who he is or how to interact with people and suffers from what I can only describe as crippling depression and... View more

First time poster, i did a random search for depression forums today because im feeling particularly low. I'm a 35 y/o male who doesnt know who he is or how to interact with people and suffers from what I can only describe as crippling depression and anxiety. I maintain a somewhat healthy relationship with people at work due to my position but dont have any friends irl. All I do every single day is sit inside and dread social interactions. My mood changes, as I write this im starting to tear up but im not sure why, self pity maybe? I have a history of depression and anxiety which seems to have gotten much worse this year, and is starting to affect my work and behaviours. I think people dont like me because I cannot commit to a social event or will bail last second, as the anxiety builds and worries start to creep in - unreliable and depressed, who would try to be friends with that? I've tried to work on myself but honestly I dont think i can change at this point as this has been ongoing since I was a child. Growing up in an abusive home etc etc all that fun stuff... Never realised how I was suffering up until about 19-20 with my first suicide attempt, after that it became a lot clearer to me. After that came the drugs, anything I could get my hands on because I simply did not care. In truth I wanted to die for about a decade, drugs numbed that feeling and made it bearable and achievable at the same time. I put myself in countless dangerous situations because my rationale was "if something happens at least ill be dead". Drug use stopped at the same time I lost my social circle who were also addicted to many substances, had to cut them loose to stop the habit but ended up replacing it with another - self isolation. Now I hide away from the world in my room and lie to people irl telling them everythings ok when really it isnt. Unfortunately, to cope with the stress of this situation, i've once again returned to the only thing thats helped me feel anything, my old friend maryjane. I'm quitting today and will be in for a couple of rollercoaster days, I can already feel the need for a bong as i write this. I realise this isnt well written or anything, I just wanted someone to know what im going through since I have literally nobody to talk to. I hope you all get through your struggles Cant think of anything else to write and i cant see the keyboard anymore so peace

Whysoserious Help! Am in major depressive episode and my wife is bedridden.
  • replies: 5

I need help with how to manage. I am in the middle of a major depressive episode. At its peak I was suicidal though I think that is behind me for the time being. Last week my wife injured herself rather badly and now can't get out of bed. It means th... View more

I need help with how to manage. I am in the middle of a major depressive episode. At its peak I was suicidal though I think that is behind me for the time being. Last week my wife injured herself rather badly and now can't get out of bed. It means that I have to manage to get everything done around the house and work as well. At the moment a successful day is getting out of bed, having a shower and getting dressed. I can cook but can't plan for shopping so just end up ordering takeaway and this isn't healthy for either of us. Just writing this post took inordinate energy. I'm sure someone else has gone through this and would love to know how on Earth I am to cope. Thanks all.

J45678 Just need a mate...
  • replies: 4

Hi there... I have no idea what I'm doing, I have never reached out like this. I'm one of those ridiculous people who think that "i've got this, I don't need help" Where as a matter of fact... I do... I'm a mum. 3 kids, partnered. 1 child with curren... View more

Hi there... I have no idea what I'm doing, I have never reached out like this. I'm one of those ridiculous people who think that "i've got this, I don't need help" Where as a matter of fact... I do... I'm a mum. 3 kids, partnered. 1 child with current partner, other 2 are from a different relationship. I feel like I'm not good enough. Nothing ever is. I can't keep the house tidy, it's easier to lay down, watch tv and pretend it isn't there. I'm not good enough for my partner. It's clear to see. I can't do anything right. Heck. The fact I'm posting here when others have real issues, I'm probably being petty. I just need someone to talk to. Someone who won't judge. I'm sorry for taking up people's time. But ugh.