Depression

Depression affects people in Australia every day. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with depression.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Jeriava How do I talk to my doctor?
  • replies: 9

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really ... View more

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really scared that they’ll judge me or won’t believe anything I say. I’m really anti social so I feel like I won’t be able to say what I wanna say or I’ll say the wrong thing causing them to just dismiss me and move me along without helping. I’m just tired of feeling alone, depressed and just worthless but I’m really scared to talk to them.

Chris_B Are you looking to support someone else with depression? PLEASE READ before posting
  • replies: 0

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and f... View more

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and friends with a mental health condition It's full of threads from people who have family members and friends going through anxiety, depression or other related conditions. Have a read through the threads there, and feel free to take part in the discussions. Below are also some helpful beyondblue resources you might want to look through first as well: Supporting someone Have the conversation

AGrace SELF HELP TIPS FOR MANAGING DEPRESSION
  • replies: 132

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the ... View more

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the 5 senses Distress Tolerance – Accepting Emotions and Self Soothing Distraction – Put the thoughts/feelings aside and come back to them when you are ready to deal with them Positive Affirmations – Have some affirmations written down repeat them to yourself daily Sleep/Exercise/Diet – All 3 aspects of our lifestyle can impact the way we think/feel Increasing Pleasurable Activities – Engage in at least one pleasurable activity per day

All discussions

MissJ94 Spiralling
  • replies: 3

How does everyone get through life or get themselves out of a crappy position? Im studying and working right now. Im struggling majorly financially. Havent been able to see my psychologist in a month now because i cant afford it. I have bills piling ... View more

How does everyone get through life or get themselves out of a crappy position? Im studying and working right now. Im struggling majorly financially. Havent been able to see my psychologist in a month now because i cant afford it. I have bills piling up and the thought of going back on placement in a couple weeks makes me sick as ill be off work for 3 weeks(no leave left) and somehow need to pay all these bills along with $300+ in parking fees(hospital) so i can attend the placements(public transport is out of the question due to inaccessibility and time constraints). Originally i could have used my health care card or pension card to get a cheaper rate but now the thieves have made it that no student, worker or contractor there can get the cheaper rate. I feel sick just thinking about it. Im still trying to work up the energy to call centrelink to see if its even legal for them to deny the cheaper rate for those who have these cards to make things easier, they advertise the concession rates everywhere but no where does it say its excluded for certain people. I just want to vomit. People have suggested i defer a year. But that only puts these issues back one year. I havent had a proper break from everything in almost a year, i feel burnt out from everything. Ive wanted to be a midwife for years now and im finally getting there. But i never knew how difficult it would be, how time consuming it would be. Its like having a fulltime job but not actually getting paid for it. Nursing was no where near as hard as midwifery is proving to be. Ive had thoughts of just dropping out because of how much im struggling, financially, emotionally. Just seeing a text from my placement facilitator today makes me want to self harm. And i cant even talk to anyone about these feelings because i cant even afford it! Im literally spiralling out of control!

400MRUNNER Scared to get help
  • replies: 2

Hi, I am new to beyond blue. I am a high school student who has been diagnosed with anxiety and am showing symptoms of depression. I need help, but I am too scared to ask. School is getting harder and I am doing worse. What should I do? Thanks

Hi, I am new to beyond blue. I am a high school student who has been diagnosed with anxiety and am showing symptoms of depression. I need help, but I am too scared to ask. School is getting harder and I am doing worse. What should I do? Thanks

jp99 How do I get out of this ditch?
  • replies: 1

I'm in my final year of school, but it doesn't feel like it. I can't sleep half the time, and I just feel so disconnected from everything. I'm a little sad, but mainly I just can't strive to get things done the way I used to. Two years back pre-covid... View more

I'm in my final year of school, but it doesn't feel like it. I can't sleep half the time, and I just feel so disconnected from everything. I'm a little sad, but mainly I just can't strive to get things done the way I used to. Two years back pre-covid, I started taking vyvanse for ADHD, and it all kind of ties back to that moment. I lost 40 kilos, went from an extroverted socialite to an introverted loner. The transformation was not instant but the 2020 lockdown harboured and nurtured it into what it is now, or what I am now. To be honest I don't mind the way I am, I just mind my own business and do what I need to do, but at some point earlier this year something just clicked inside my head, something that just made me numb to everything around me. I can't pinpoint a time and date, but from then up till now, I just can't function properly. I'm in year 12, the most important year of my schooling and for some reason I skip school to sleep in, take sick days, miss classes I need to go to, barely prepare for SAC's, all while deceiving everyone around me as a person that is coping well. And what do I do with all this amassed time? I lie in bed, blinds down and lights off. After school? lie in bed. On the weekends? lie in bed. On the school holidays? lie in bed. All i do is lie in bed. I know it's not healthy, I'm an 18 year old who gets hypertension everywhere, I want to get out and yet for some reason I can't. I thought I was just lazy at first and brushed it off, but i've come to realise that its different, in ways difficult to verbally express but is probably mutually understood between readers of this forum. Indifference to those who can't cope with the demands of 3/4 VCE, while I find it challenging, it's not what makes me feel the way I feel or do the things I do. I will admit that while not having friends makes everything more desolate, I have become complicit with that. I just feel like everything I do lacks sincerity, despite what I set to achieve. I want to get out of this mindset, rehabilitate my deteriorating social skills and get out of this opaque ditch that is currently my life, yet while I type this out, I know fully well how many times I've never followed through.

Noodle_ Scared to get help
  • replies: 4

Hi. I'm new to this so not really sure what to say. My depression is slowly getting worse and it's affecting my relationship with my husband. I know I need to get help but I struggle at the thought of letting a gp know everything I'm feeling. I'm a v... View more

Hi. I'm new to this so not really sure what to say. My depression is slowly getting worse and it's affecting my relationship with my husband. I know I need to get help but I struggle at the thought of letting a gp know everything I'm feeling. I'm a very private person and I feel like the things I am feeling are silly and a waste of their time.

Lukyfil Feel useless
  • replies: 11

Why am I 55 years old and still struggling to manage my severe depression?. I never got over my childhood, have no family, poor social skills, no support network and my life is a complete mess and I feel like a waste of space. I

Why am I 55 years old and still struggling to manage my severe depression?. I never got over my childhood, have no family, poor social skills, no support network and my life is a complete mess and I feel like a waste of space. I

mocha delight What would you do?
  • replies: 14

About 3/4 appointments ago including this Tuesdays appointment I mentioned to my psychologist that I had a red flag from when I was 22/23 that I didn’t follow through with basically and she said we didn’t have to talk about until I was ready to do so... View more

About 3/4 appointments ago including this Tuesdays appointment I mentioned to my psychologist that I had a red flag from when I was 22/23 that I didn’t follow through with basically and she said we didn’t have to talk about until I was ready to do so yet she asked if I was ready to talk about it in the very next appointment. So I felt like I was now forced to speak about it to my mum yesterday and my gp today when I was not quite 100% ready to do so yet . And after talking to my gp who I’ve known since I was at least 19 (I’m 32 now) so she knows me very well she said if I wanted to either take a break from psych sessions, see a different psych (which she said she’d be happy to do a referral to another one or go back to the current psych she would support me in whatever decision I make. I just don’t know what to do as feeling majorly lost right now. Has anyone else had this kind of experience or similar? Any tips or advice ect ect ect I’d really appreciate thanks all.

Guest_366278 I’ve been getting steadily worse
  • replies: 1

Tonight I’ve realised I have been drinking consistently (almost every weekend) over the last 6 years. I am 23 so this has been going on since I was around 16-17. recently though, I have realised I have been drinking to get drunk rather than to have a... View more

Tonight I’ve realised I have been drinking consistently (almost every weekend) over the last 6 years. I am 23 so this has been going on since I was around 16-17. recently though, I have realised I have been drinking to get drunk rather than to have a good time. even after 2-3 drinks on what was supposed to be a ‘quiet night’ I have to get really drunk. when I’m out with my friends and we’re not far away from heading home, rather than slowing down I begin to drink faster because I don’t think I’m drunk enough, even after a full night (9pm-4am) drinking. I’ll probably drink 3 more drinks in that hour before we leave just to get myself as drunk as possible before it’s time to go home. i don’t drink during the week but on the weekends I can’t help myself. I can’t remember the last weekend that went by without me contemplating whether or not to get drunk. I have also realised I have had anxiety for a long time. this has steadily been getting worse and is at a point now where I can’t go a day without having an intrusive thought. I have a lot going on in my personal life and I’m very stressed. I’m doing very well in my job. I’ve recently earned myself a promotion, I work full time and I’m studying a Diploma which I am about to finish. this all feels fake to me. I feel as if I have manipulated myself into this position. I feel as if I don’t deserve these successes and that I have faked my way to where I am professionally. I am so sick of this heavy feeling. do you think I could be depressed?

Unknown222 Not happy all the time !!
  • replies: 2

I donot know from where to start , I been struggling with depression since I was in high school , now am married and got 2 kids , I been crying reasonless , was thinking to commit suicide at some points , the most dramatic part that Amnot happy all t... View more

I donot know from where to start , I been struggling with depression since I was in high school , now am married and got 2 kids , I been crying reasonless , was thinking to commit suicide at some points , the most dramatic part that Amnot happy all the time! Not satisfied or happy or enjoying whatever happened to me !! It kills me really , I feel not interested to for my duties as a mother or wife or even a human being , it kills me really !, and I try hard to hide all this and act like like a good mother and wife as much as I can but still it’s obvious !!! I donot know what can I do. It’s torturing please help me help

Ciara1 I haven't been able to see my boyfriend for 2 years and life feels meaningless.
  • replies: 4

Since COVID-19 International border close last year in March, I have not been able to meet my boyfriend who lives overseas. We are planning to get married however there is no hope at the end of tunnel. I live in Victoria and lockdowns occur every now... View more

Since COVID-19 International border close last year in March, I have not been able to meet my boyfriend who lives overseas. We are planning to get married however there is no hope at the end of tunnel. I live in Victoria and lockdowns occur every now and then. I have my family, friends around me however the one person who means the world to me, I am not able to see, touch, feel. It is absently torture…an agonising pain which seems to burn every trace of happiness. My life is passing by and my dreams of having a family has no certainty. I miss him dearly. I wish for him daily. My life feels so numb, an endless loop of meaningless days. I wish I could see him. I wish I could just look at him face to face. Its suffocating to live like this.

Prisca I feel worthless, hopeless and alone.
  • replies: 3

Hi, I'm new to this site and I'm not sure if I'm posting correctly. I feel like nobody in real life cares about me at all. I'm not officially diagnosed with any mental illnesses and I have never been to a GP or a psychologist/therapist before, but I ... View more

Hi, I'm new to this site and I'm not sure if I'm posting correctly. I feel like nobody in real life cares about me at all. I'm not officially diagnosed with any mental illnesses and I have never been to a GP or a psychologist/therapist before, but I really feel like I must have some form of depression. All my life I've felt that nobody understands me, not even my family members. They're all happy while I'm sitting here suffering alone. I've recently just lost my only "friends" from high school and now I'm officially alone - no connections, no friends, no one. They hadn't messaged me in over half a year and I had already had a feeling that they might've moved on from me, but nobody mentioned anything out of the ordinary so I just held on to the hope that may one day contact and reach out to me. But I recently saw a picture on Instagram of the three of them hanging out without me... and now that I've seen picture evidence it really hit me. I just feel so abandoned and unbearably lonely. I have plenty of other issues stacked underneath, but this just topped it all off. I tried to talk to my mum about how I feel, but she never understands me. She would just brush it off by saying that I'm the problem and maybe if I changed myself, people would like me. I'm not sure if this is what a parent should be saying to their child while they're depressed, but it certainly doesn't sound ok. I'm already extremely upset over the problem, but she definitely made it worse. Nobody bothers to listen and understand me. Nobody cares to hear how I feel. Nobody wants to comfort me when I'm depressed. There's nobody there for me, I feel like I only have myself in this world, but I'm even starting to hate myself too. I've come to the conclusion that my existence is probably a burden to everyone and everyone would be happier if I just disappeared. Heck, nobody would even notice if I were gone. Sorry if I'm not making any sense at all, my mind is all over the place.