Depression

Depression affects people in Australia every day. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with depression.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Jeriava How do I talk to my doctor?
  • replies: 9

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really ... View more

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really scared that they’ll judge me or won’t believe anything I say. I’m really anti social so I feel like I won’t be able to say what I wanna say or I’ll say the wrong thing causing them to just dismiss me and move me along without helping. I’m just tired of feeling alone, depressed and just worthless but I’m really scared to talk to them.

Chris_B Are you looking to support someone else with depression? PLEASE READ before posting
  • replies: 0

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and f... View more

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and friends with a mental health condition It's full of threads from people who have family members and friends going through anxiety, depression or other related conditions. Have a read through the threads there, and feel free to take part in the discussions. Below are also some helpful beyondblue resources you might want to look through first as well: Supporting someone Have the conversation

AGrace SELF HELP TIPS FOR MANAGING DEPRESSION
  • replies: 132

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the ... View more

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the 5 senses Distress Tolerance – Accepting Emotions and Self Soothing Distraction – Put the thoughts/feelings aside and come back to them when you are ready to deal with them Positive Affirmations – Have some affirmations written down repeat them to yourself daily Sleep/Exercise/Diet – All 3 aspects of our lifestyle can impact the way we think/feel Increasing Pleasurable Activities – Engage in at least one pleasurable activity per day

All discussions

dubrovnik Hopeful
  • replies: 8

Hello I am a middle aged woman (young at heart) live on my own, I broke up from my ex partner 3 years ago, I have no children. (Unfortunately I couldn’t have children) I am feeling depressed, I have suffered from anxiety & depression for years. I alw... View more

Hello I am a middle aged woman (young at heart) live on my own, I broke up from my ex partner 3 years ago, I have no children. (Unfortunately I couldn’t have children) I am feeling depressed, I have suffered from anxiety & depression for years. I always put on a brave face so nobody will see my sadness. I get so sick and tired of people who say ‘snap out of it’. ‘Cheer up’ a former friend used to say that to me a lot, she said I was feeling sorry for myself etc. I told her off! I am very unselfish, I have always put other people first, family & friends. When I want time for myself I get told that I am selfish. That really irritates me. one thing that I like about lockdown is that it’s a good excuse not to be sociable etc. i love going out for coffee, dinner and the movies. I don’t go to pubs, clubs and bars, occasionally I will go to a club with friends to see a show, music or go out for lunch, I don’t smoke, only drink socially, don’t gamble. I have been called boring which really hurt my feelings. I have been hurt & betrayed by friends & relationships which made me develop trust issues. thank you for reading this.

b_nderz Life is a funny thing, sometimes it isn't funny anymore
  • replies: 4

Uhmmmm, don't really know how to say My life is not what I thought it to be I am alone because that is how y life has worked out I have no value for life, it's a gamble actually, is what it is

Uhmmmm, don't really know how to say My life is not what I thought it to be I am alone because that is how y life has worked out I have no value for life, it's a gamble actually, is what it is

Surfie883 I just want to die
  • replies: 7

I need help ,just. Need to talk about my feelings but no one is listening.

I need help ,just. Need to talk about my feelings but no one is listening.

Stardust535 I don't know what to do anymore.
  • replies: 5

i just want to scream that i'm here. That i made it and i'm still alive but no one's listening anymore, i don't know if anyone was in the first place. Maybe i made a mistake somewhere but everyone's left me. Now it's 3am and i can't sleep. All i want... View more

i just want to scream that i'm here. That i made it and i'm still alive but no one's listening anymore, i don't know if anyone was in the first place. Maybe i made a mistake somewhere but everyone's left me. Now it's 3am and i can't sleep. All i want to do is cry but i can't. i just don't want to feel alone anymore. The last time people talked to me, they all said i was so strong and brave after everything i've gone through. None of them even asked if i was ok though, i just felt like they talked about me to feel better with themselves. For a moment i didn't feel alone. i'm just tired of having to be strong. i just want to breakdown and cry until it's all over but no ones there. i'm sorry for wasting your time. i'm just lost and i don't know who to ask and i'm just so tired, sorry

Goneinthewind How to get better
  • replies: 3

I don't know where to begin my story. I feel so tired and don't know how to go through this dark period again. I hate ppl saying i'll be ok because it wasn't getting better. I feel so so tired about life, i hate who i am.

I don't know where to begin my story. I feel so tired and don't know how to go through this dark period again. I hate ppl saying i'll be ok because it wasn't getting better. I feel so so tired about life, i hate who i am.

radar2baron Am i a ghost?

Hello. This is the first time i have spoken out about how i feel... I am sure i have some kind of problem and it has been like that for a long time, I am sure i suffer from depression and anxiety. Going outside is not easy and its even harder these d... View more

Hello. This is the first time i have spoken out about how i feel... I am sure i have some kind of problem and it has been like that for a long time, I am sure i suffer from depression and anxiety. Going outside is not easy and its even harder these days. I lost my best friend "dog" two and a bit months back. I have a people problem, I consider myself a lone wolf i don't have many friends or really family i would rely on. Meeting people or being around them makes me anxious. I have had a lot go on in my life and the longer i leave the feeling of it will blow over is just making it worse. from feeling crap to being "pissed off" I should go get help as i have tried to kill myself in the past, I do not feel this is a issue for the moment. I feel trapped in a world were if i go with one thought i mess things up more and if i don't then im stuck here in a corner of my own thoughts. If there is any advice anyone would recomend or even just there own experiance or thoughts would be apreciated. Thanks.

jsm1974 ECT experiences?
  • replies: 10

I posted this question in another section as well, but I wanted to see if anyone has had any experience with ECT. I've been struggling with depression and anxiety most of my life and have not responded (at all, really) to medications. I've pretty muc... View more

I posted this question in another section as well, but I wanted to see if anyone has had any experience with ECT. I've been struggling with depression and anxiety most of my life and have not responded (at all, really) to medications. I've pretty much exhausted my possibilities there and ECT is meant to be quite effective. The risk of memory loss is in my case more like an opportunity, given recent events in my life, so I'm not too worried about that. As long as I don't still think I have my job and try to show up at work or something like that, I'm fine with the risk.

Justin95 Made to suffer

Hearing people cough or sneeze really brings pain and brings out the worst of me. I’m trying my best to just ignore but I have next door neighbors that do this type of thing everyday. Have you ever had this type of problem? If so how do you cope when... View more

Hearing people cough or sneeze really brings pain and brings out the worst of me. I’m trying my best to just ignore but I have next door neighbors that do this type of thing everyday. Have you ever had this type of problem? If so how do you cope when you hear it I want to know your perspective on this.

manpreetrockerji Am I depressed
  • replies: 3

idk what to do in my life i think im stuck in one position and dont know how to get out of this situation .

idk what to do in my life i think im stuck in one position and dont know how to get out of this situation .

Kirsty7679 Losing love.
  • replies: 5

Hi all! Not sure where else to turn and my fingers lead me here. I am new to this but having been sitting with this for quite a while now. I am married to a wonderful man and we will be celebrating our 20 year anniversary next month, however, ever si... View more

Hi all! Not sure where else to turn and my fingers lead me here. I am new to this but having been sitting with this for quite a while now. I am married to a wonderful man and we will be celebrating our 20 year anniversary next month, however, ever since Covid has been around, we are drifting apart drastically. I am fully vaccinated and he is happy with my choice but he has gone down a rabbit hole of YouTube, science reports, anything and everything that he can basically get his hands on to read about. Now, all he talks about is statistics and policies from all over the world. I love him dearly but, conversation about normal day to day life is non-existent these days, and I am now at the stage where I physically have to leave the room when I know he is about to start talking about this stuff. I have voiced my concerns to him and how I am not happy, I don't think he understands what this is doing in my head. He has changed completely and it is affected the way we function. I am struggling with sleep and eating, I have lost the pleasure of my everyday joys and don't want to be around him. I have my low days and don't want to be around him, going to work has helped matters but I am basically running on empty.....