Depression

Depression affects people in Australia every day. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with depression.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Jeriava How do I talk to my doctor?
  • replies: 9

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really ... View more

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really scared that they’ll judge me or won’t believe anything I say. I’m really anti social so I feel like I won’t be able to say what I wanna say or I’ll say the wrong thing causing them to just dismiss me and move me along without helping. I’m just tired of feeling alone, depressed and just worthless but I’m really scared to talk to them.

Chris_B Are you looking to support someone else with depression? PLEASE READ before posting
  • replies: 0

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and f... View more

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and friends with a mental health condition It's full of threads from people who have family members and friends going through anxiety, depression or other related conditions. Have a read through the threads there, and feel free to take part in the discussions. Below are also some helpful beyondblue resources you might want to look through first as well: Supporting someone Have the conversation

AGrace SELF HELP TIPS FOR MANAGING DEPRESSION
  • replies: 132

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the ... View more

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the 5 senses Distress Tolerance – Accepting Emotions and Self Soothing Distraction – Put the thoughts/feelings aside and come back to them when you are ready to deal with them Positive Affirmations – Have some affirmations written down repeat them to yourself daily Sleep/Exercise/Diet – All 3 aspects of our lifestyle can impact the way we think/feel Increasing Pleasurable Activities – Engage in at least one pleasurable activity per day

All discussions

Lenny226 Last day of work as a teacher aide at a school and upsetting comment from principal
  • replies: 5

Unfortunately my contract was not renewed for next year as a teacher aide at a primary school. My confidence was already very low and I was feeling hopeless and unworthy. I felt like everyone at work thought I was not good enough. I had my last day o... View more

Unfortunately my contract was not renewed for next year as a teacher aide at a primary school. My confidence was already very low and I was feeling hopeless and unworthy. I felt like everyone at work thought I was not good enough. I had my last day of work today. They had some professional development for the staff about looking after yourself and your mental health and well-being. I got home and opened my goodbye card and noticed a comment from the principal: ‘shit happens’ with his name underneath. I was devastated and shocked and took this very personally.

Bigboy31 Think I'm done...
  • replies: 3

Hello all. Not looking for any responses, but I just need to vent in a safe place. I'm in my mid-40s, and currently working in a job that requires high-volume and repetitive processing. Up to now, I haven't minded that but it is not what I was brough... View more

Hello all. Not looking for any responses, but I just need to vent in a safe place. I'm in my mid-40s, and currently working in a job that requires high-volume and repetitive processing. Up to now, I haven't minded that but it is not what I was brought into the company for - I was brought in as a temp to work on a large remediation project. However, priorities within the company have changed and I'm now doing this other work. I was also working in the office largely on my own during lockdown and have struggled coping with people coming back in, surrounding where I work and making a lot of noise. And quite recently I have been blocked on Instagram and had a Facebook friend request rejected by a colleague who up to now I had no problem working with and thought the same back. Also, since my birthday in early September, my father has been in hospital with lung and knee issues. We know he will still be there for Christmas and because of COVID restrictions imposed by the hospital, my mum and I are not allowed to visit him. Doesn't help that his memory loss is getting worse and that even though we have asked the hospital to provide updates as to what treatment is being given, we have not received anything from them - we only find out by asking ourselves. I have been trying to remain strong for my mum as she is also stressed by what is going on with Dad, but I am really tired now and losing the will to go on. So, a job I am not enjoying, people I work with have unknown issues with me that make me anxious and nervous about what will happen next, family problems and a total lack of direction about what I want to do or even if I want to do anything. I hate to say this but waking up each day is a huge struggle, going to work is a huge struggle and being a good son is a huge struggle - I think I'm done and am about to cut my losses on a lot of those things - even life itself. To be brutally honest, other than my family I'm pretty sure I won't be missed or remembered fondly, only by people who want something from me rather than just be happy with having me. Not a way to live a life, is it?

Jordon23 Drowning yet Breathing fine

I'm not rly sure what to say, i'm just venting ig. I have struggled with Suicidal depression for almost half my life. I'm almost 20 and have been struggling with depression since I was 10 and have been suicidal since I was 13. Almost 7 years later an... View more

I'm not rly sure what to say, i'm just venting ig. I have struggled with Suicidal depression for almost half my life. I'm almost 20 and have been struggling with depression since I was 10 and have been suicidal since I was 13. Almost 7 years later and about 4ish years since all the bullying, harassment and exclusion has stopped since i left at the end of year 10 and my life is flourishing. I have finished 3 years studying something I love, started a job that i rly like and am surrounded by great people. So i am so F***ing angry that i still feel like i want to fall asleep and never wake up. I have literally almost everything good going for me in life and have so much to be thankful for but my default mood always goes right back to not wanting to be alive anymore. I'm surrounded by amazing people yet feel so disconnected from them and feel like they would be better off without me. I have never felt like I truly fit in anywhere and have never had a proper friend group that hand on my heart could say that I could depend on them. I hate myself so much and I see no reason why I do, but I also know exactly why. All I can see is how much I hurt people and make them feel uncomfortable because I find it very hard to read people and as a result, unintentionally cross boundaries all the time. I'm always interested in something else people are interested in and I feel like I just let everyone down all the time. In a weird way, I find it funny to call myself suicidal because I never actively planned to commit suicide, BUT I have hurt myself multiple times and thinking "I'm doing this to punish myself but If it goes worse, just let it happen". People keep seeing how I'm hurting physically and ask me what's wrong but I don't want to tell them because their lives are happy and I don't want to burden them with something they can't understand or control. My life is progressing so well and so quickly yet I feel so stuck and feel like I'm drowning and every breath I take feels like a sin. I won't actually do anything because I know how much it hurts people, but I cant seem to get better permenately regardless of meds and therapy. I just don't know what else to do.

Beaser The Guilt . Where does it come from.
  • replies: 5

Hi and best wishes to everyone. I know that guilt is often associated with depression. Sometimes i get overwhelmed with it myself .Those feelings of constantly letting people down ,whether it be from not visiting or being able to help them when they ... View more

Hi and best wishes to everyone. I know that guilt is often associated with depression. Sometimes i get overwhelmed with it myself .Those feelings of constantly letting people down ,whether it be from not visiting or being able to help them when they ask for help with something or just not being available for a social gathering.It just seems especially hard at this time of year. I was just wondering about peoples similar situations and how they manage these feelings.I find it quite overwhelming at times. Brett

Evanthia04 When it all falls apart : Where to especially since its sessional holiday spirits ?????
  • replies: 8

So, these last 6 weeks have been anything but happiness for me ... I have had to speak to Authorities about my feelings , emotions and well being , but importantly my SH. I have felt a lot of anger , hate and frustration to those around me . I have k... View more

So, these last 6 weeks have been anything but happiness for me ... I have had to speak to Authorities about my feelings , emotions and well being , but importantly my SH. I have felt a lot of anger , hate and frustration to those around me . I have kept my true feelings withheld from those around me . I have nightmares and feel very anxious. I was hospitalized for 5 days , but being home has left me with heartburn and panicking feelings. I have BPD. I am scared and lost. I have visual disturbances that l fear.

GMarenghi How to deal with derogatory comments in public
  • replies: 6

Hi, I wish I didn't have to even think about this but I thought posting to a supportive forum might help me in dealing with this issue. I have red hair, I'm indifferent about it, but unfortunately years ago there was a certain show broadcast that fea... View more

Hi, I wish I didn't have to even think about this but I thought posting to a supportive forum might help me in dealing with this issue. I have red hair, I'm indifferent about it, but unfortunately years ago there was a certain show broadcast that featured high school students teasing a character with red hair. Since then, on occasion I've been called this term in public (most of the time by teenagers). I know that in a group people tend to be more confident and that it's not something they would say to my face one-on-one. I'm not in high school anymore (and when I was in high school it was never even any issue). Some people dismiss it as a joke, but I don't see the funny side. I'm conscious that there's far worse that happens to people but I think the senseless, immature throwaway remark, causes me to experience low-self confidence and self-esteem issues. I've never spoken to a therapist about it, it feels too embarrassing and wouldn't be taken seriously. I never react because I know that it wouldn't change anything but would like to know how to move on from future remarks. The reason I'm writing this now is because it happened tonight. I was just walking home after doing shopping and I heard someone at a table say it to me. Also, I've suffered from OCD in the past and half the time I don't know whether I actually heard someone say that or if I just imagined it.

NumPy I’m getting that look again
  • replies: 7

My dog, he knows something’s not right. Won’t leave my side. on the surface I have nothing to complain about, great family, good job, nice home. Inside is completely numb, no energy, no drive to be alive. Everyday I put on a good performance for thos... View more

My dog, he knows something’s not right. Won’t leave my side. on the surface I have nothing to complain about, great family, good job, nice home. Inside is completely numb, no energy, no drive to be alive. Everyday I put on a good performance for those around me to avoid causing any worries. Just wish I knew how to shake this off without any fuss. we acknowledged my depression 8 years ago and done the whole roller coaster ride of highs and very low lows. I was actually thinking I could stop the meds until this latest challenge jumped on my back about 6 months ago. my apologies if my sh!t sandwich isn’t as dramatic as some. Makes me question my posting at all but I’m seeking ideas how to recharge the soul.

LynC Undiagnosed Bipolar - Anger or resentment?
  • replies: 6

Hey everyone, just wanted to know if anyone had similar feelings or advice about this as it’s relatively new for me. A quick bio… Diagnosed about 4 months ago, officially bipolar II, at age 40. Life has changed, very much for the better, medication a... View more

Hey everyone, just wanted to know if anyone had similar feelings or advice about this as it’s relatively new for me. A quick bio… Diagnosed about 4 months ago, officially bipolar II, at age 40. Life has changed, very much for the better, medication and support services have made my head clear and my heart happy for the first time in a long time. I was first diagnosed with depression and medicated with antidepressants 4 years ago after a significant breakdown. Fast forward through many hurdles and heartache, the universe put an incredible doctor in my path that diagnosed me with bipolar II and changed everything. So, to the reason for my post. When you finally have an answer, is it then normal to think back through your life to figure out when this started? Well that’s what I did, I went back further and further until I found memories of a 7 year old me going through some very erratic behaviors, then again into teenage years where things got out of control. I have always thought I was a good kid with a bad temper and a rebellious streak, i’ve spent most of my adult life guilt ridden about what I put my parents through from about the age of 13 and the outbursts I had when I was younger. Now i’m beginning to understand that perhaps not everything was within my control. I’ve been told bipolar (the whole spectrum) is incredibly hard to diagnose, but I can’t help having feelings of anger and resentment to my parents (who I love dearly) and now this makes me feel awful even having these thoughts. I feel like a huge part of my life wasn’t real, I wasn’t the kind, loving me that I knew I was deep down, I regret so much but can’t help feel like it could have been different, it didn’t need to be this way. How do you let go of the past? the things you lost with your illness? I want to look forward as life has become so much more positive but these thoughts keep chewing away at my mind. I have a very loving, understanding husband, sister and close friend in my support circle. My parents do not know anything about my illness. Thank you for any words in advance x

Tonyw anxiety and depression

My wife has left me she sent SMS saying I in love with old school boyfriend,I am finding it hard to see my future all I can see it's black no light at the end, any help to get me back and happy. 21 years marriage.

My wife has left me she sent SMS saying I in love with old school boyfriend,I am finding it hard to see my future all I can see it's black no light at the end, any help to get me back and happy. 21 years marriage.

Josephine77 My partner is suffering I need advice please
  • replies: 58

My partner has told me he has been struggling mentally for a while and disclosed some concerning things which I talked to him about what he could do to get help. He doesn’t want to have me around to put me through everything he is goi g through. He w... View more

My partner has told me he has been struggling mentally for a while and disclosed some concerning things which I talked to him about what he could do to get help. He doesn’t want to have me around to put me through everything he is goi g through. He wants space to sort himself out and get his financial situation sorted. His conclusion is we live apart for him to do this I understand the space but I don’t understand me having to live elsewhere it really hurts how does this help him financially and how does this help him by being alone he wants us to stay exclusive and does t want to lose me out of his life I took us elf away for the last week and a half to give him time alone and for myself too he has been in contact and wants to know details about how my holiday is etc i go back today and I just don’t know how to go through this r what to discuss when I’m back i Need someone to talk to j