Depression

Depression affects people in Australia every day. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with depression.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Jeriava How do I talk to my doctor?
  • replies: 9

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really ... View more

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really scared that they’ll judge me or won’t believe anything I say. I’m really anti social so I feel like I won’t be able to say what I wanna say or I’ll say the wrong thing causing them to just dismiss me and move me along without helping. I’m just tired of feeling alone, depressed and just worthless but I’m really scared to talk to them.

Chris_B Are you looking to support someone else with depression? PLEASE READ before posting
  • replies: 0

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and f... View more

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and friends with a mental health condition It's full of threads from people who have family members and friends going through anxiety, depression or other related conditions. Have a read through the threads there, and feel free to take part in the discussions. Below are also some helpful beyondblue resources you might want to look through first as well: Supporting someone Have the conversation

AGrace SELF HELP TIPS FOR MANAGING DEPRESSION
  • replies: 132

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the ... View more

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the 5 senses Distress Tolerance – Accepting Emotions and Self Soothing Distraction – Put the thoughts/feelings aside and come back to them when you are ready to deal with them Positive Affirmations – Have some affirmations written down repeat them to yourself daily Sleep/Exercise/Diet – All 3 aspects of our lifestyle can impact the way we think/feel Increasing Pleasurable Activities – Engage in at least one pleasurable activity per day

All discussions

Kll_ Never enough
  • replies: 2

I'm tired, so very tired. I look at my life and all I see is failure, I wanted someone to love, to spend my life wife, I wanted a family, I just want to feel something has gone right. Now i am almost 40, alone, just told I am infertile and I can't se... View more

I'm tired, so very tired. I look at my life and all I see is failure, I wanted someone to love, to spend my life wife, I wanted a family, I just want to feel something has gone right. Now i am almost 40, alone, just told I am infertile and I can't see a way where I am happy. I don't want to be around friends because they have what I don't and it makes me feel worse. So one I sit in a house that has never felt like a home, alone and cry. I tried so hard for it to be different, I put myself out there and I am never enough. I am exhausted from it.

BBUser98 Fear of abandonment
  • replies: 6

For the past 2 years I have been in a relationship that has proved to be very intense at times and problematic with communication. 1 week ago my partner said she wanted to end it to look after herself and so I could look after myself. 2 days ago she ... View more

For the past 2 years I have been in a relationship that has proved to be very intense at times and problematic with communication. 1 week ago my partner said she wanted to end it to look after herself and so I could look after myself. 2 days ago she went to a psychologist who told her it’s extremely likely that I have BPD after she mentioned it as I told her I am suspicious of having it. Of the 9 traits I have all 9 quite severely. I’ve looked for help and a mental health assessment but my gp has called in sick 2 appointments in a row. Her psychologist told her that we shouldn’t contact eachother for 3 months and I reluctantly agreed so that I can help her. I promised her I’d look after myself but it is so hard, I’ve slept less than 2 hours a night for the past week and barely have the appetite to eat anymore. Im so paranoid that after 3 months she won’t love me anymore and will abandon me which I really can’t take and I can’t stop thinking about it. I really feel at the end of my tether. As with the BPD I don’t know if I can take that either, it means a whole lifetime of being absolutely miserable and unable to live a normal life. Im also constantly overwhelmed by guilt that I’ve hurt her during our relationship due to feelings I can’t control. any advice is welcome, I don’t know what to do anymore. I live by myself and my family and friends aren’t close by. I feel completely alone.

Alai How canI explain to my family about my depression
  • replies: 3

I have a caring family but they don't seems to understand what I'm experiencing. Their advices are always physical health related. Exercise more, eat less sweet and meat, don't drink coffee, don't go out unless necessary, don't go to crowded place, d... View more

I have a caring family but they don't seems to understand what I'm experiencing. Their advices are always physical health related. Exercise more, eat less sweet and meat, don't drink coffee, don't go out unless necessary, don't go to crowded place, don't eat out as home cook is healthier. When I show them articles about depression, their responses are "How do you cure this? Have you tried any medicine?" I would wish they provides more mental support. Ask me to relax, enjoy life, go out to meet people etc. I myself already a introvert and it's not helpful when my family also encourage me to stay inside. I'm already 40 and never have a relationship and no close friends. Covid lockdown to me isn't that much different from my normal life. Anyone experienced this? How do explain to your family about depression?

Cazza87 Depression
  • replies: 9

Hi, I’ve had depression for most of my life. Recently my depressive episodes have been more frequent & not sure why. I’m on medication. I just can’t seem to find the strategies I need to stop my depressive episodes spiralling out of control. Hoping f... View more

Hi, I’ve had depression for most of my life. Recently my depressive episodes have been more frequent & not sure why. I’m on medication. I just can’t seem to find the strategies I need to stop my depressive episodes spiralling out of control. Hoping for some ideas thank you

TheBigBlue How to stop it before it starts?
  • replies: 5

Suffering a major depressive episode. I do nothing except sleep all day. Don’t leave the house, don’t shower or brush hair, don’t grocery shop, don’t eat right & basically just don’t care. I have never abused alcohol in the past, in fact I rarely dri... View more

Suffering a major depressive episode. I do nothing except sleep all day. Don’t leave the house, don’t shower or brush hair, don’t grocery shop, don’t eat right & basically just don’t care. I have never abused alcohol in the past, in fact I rarely drink. But tonight I am sitting here & finding it very hard to not crack open the bottle of vodka & just losing myself to oblivion. How so I stop this before it starts? I don’t want to fall down that hole

Alison_Wonderland Turning 30 and feeling lost
  • replies: 1

2022 marks 10 years since I’ve been on antidepressants. I’m now a mother and a wife. And while I have many more reasons to live, I also have so many more people to disappoint.

2022 marks 10 years since I’ve been on antidepressants. I’m now a mother and a wife. And while I have many more reasons to live, I also have so many more people to disappoint.

LemurianLight I Keep on Trying Yet I Keep Getting Kicked Back

Hi, so maybe just venting is what I need at the moment, 10 years ago, I used to feel empowered, happy and had dreams to take a flight, as each year progressed, each and every dream and goal I had got stood and rubbed into the ground, now in my 30’s, ... View more

Hi, so maybe just venting is what I need at the moment, 10 years ago, I used to feel empowered, happy and had dreams to take a flight, as each year progressed, each and every dream and goal I had got stood and rubbed into the ground, now in my 30’s, I feel defeated, mentally exhausted with no real prospective or direction for my future. On top of having PTSD/GAD and Depression, I also have Autism, wasn’t diagnosed into my early 20’s however I didn’t let that stop me, I thought if I asked for help, I would receive help and it didn’t seem much that way, as I was actively looking for work I have been through at least 10+ jobs in my life, and I would be tempted to say 14+ and I haven’t held down a job for more than 6 months. I’m climbing a 80 degree road that seems impossible to achieve with no to little support surrounding me. I am 150kms away from my nearest family, I only have 1 immediate family member, I have access on the NDIS, however, I exited out of my support co-ordinator after a “better” company had a vacancy where I was given falsified information and there was no position available at all, I am not settled with a support worker and have been through many in my approaching 1 year since being on the system, the support workers whom I have bonded with, all disappear in the end, which makes me want to care and connect less to prevent hurt. I have no pets, I am not dating, I have never been married, I have had 1 boyfriend 11+ years ago and haven’t found anyone since despite being on multiple dating apps, I’m also a demisexual so connecting with people by face along has been challenging for me to say the least. I recently created a video sharing about my mental health journey to an online community, however those that I valued as my friends didn’t respond whether it be via the video or sending me a private message etc, its gutted me so much, on top of the worries of a life that I live on Groundhog everyday, I seem to find no way to break out, with little support. Besides all of this, last month, I had 3 bouts of news happen within a 4 day time span, my job went from suspended to being let go (cause of some stupid choices that employees made from the company I worked for), to not being reached out by a lawyer about some personal stuff as well as finding out that I have additional family in another state and I have no way to get over there without work. I’m at breaking point, I truly have nothing to wake up to every morning. Thanks for listening.

Robinooo 40
  • replies: 4

so i recently turned forty, thought it would be a milestone, but i have been feeling so depressed since. i have suddenly had the realisation that i am single, no children, no family, no job stability, no financial security. i am an optimistic person ... View more

so i recently turned forty, thought it would be a milestone, but i have been feeling so depressed since. i have suddenly had the realisation that i am single, no children, no family, no job stability, no financial security. i am an optimistic person usually, but i have this dread about my future. people have told me that i have nothing to worry about, but these are usually people who are married in great careers, have houses, children and siblings. i don’t have that, i am truly alone. i know things will hopefully get better and i have dreams and goals, as unrealistic as some of them are. but my god, i feel like i have just been left behind and all of these factors have only heightened my existing depression.

xbx23 No hope

Ive recently stopped taking my medication for anxiety and depression. Since maybe 17 I was diagnosed with depression but never took medication or thought anything of it like I didnt really know what to think of it or understand it.I was in a 5yr rela... View more

Ive recently stopped taking my medication for anxiety and depression. Since maybe 17 I was diagnosed with depression but never took medication or thought anything of it like I didnt really know what to think of it or understand it.I was in a 5yr relationship since 17 until 21 and tried to commit suicide once and was crying all the time and I didnt know why. I've always felt sad and hopeless sometimes numb.I had a few experiences in my 20s that gave me anxiety aswel I couldnt go to work anymore or to the shops or even drive. When i was 23 I met a guy who became my bf and got a new job he was older and gave me alot of support and help to go to doctors and figure out what was going on I would work but have trouble with attendance and unstable throughout the day or weeks. At the start of covid lost my job thats when it got worse i didnt leave the house or drive again. I was told I may have bpd but then another doctor didnt agree. I had a few therapy sessions online that helped me abit with my anxiety. I ended up moving to a new town which was surrounded by green scenery and quietness. I found strength somewhere to start walking/running and exercising and meditating which helped me so much and decided to start taking medication ,wasnt working at the time but then decided at the start of 2021 to get a job. That's when i went back downhill I forgot to mention I realised I had a gambling addiction around 19 which got out of control started being sad again and felt depressed agitated, skipped work alot had panic attacks my bf called it quits after 2 yrs.I also have had endless bad experiences with finding friends or maintaining them friendships. In the middle of last year I ended up moving to another state with a few new mates and started working again and felt so good and happy to start new and try to save money to do whatever I wanted but started gambling missing work all the time and started being angry again like the medication stopped working for me.Im back to my hometown with no job no money and no hope. I sleep all day I'm awake all night. I have no motivation to do anything. Not even self care sometimes. I feel like im constantly in a loop throughout my years. What i wrote isnt all of it because im not even sure how to tell it all. I just needed to write something down. Ive been having suicidal thoughts since I left my last job and moved back home.I feel like i have no purpose or hope as i know this will be a constant feeling in my life

Bones85 Advice in seeking help
  • replies: 4

Hi, It's been over a month now and not sure how to ask for help. I've been feeling anxious and now been taken over by numbness and then all encompassing depression. On top of these feelings I want my Mum (she passed many years ago) she would be able ... View more

Hi, It's been over a month now and not sure how to ask for help. I've been feeling anxious and now been taken over by numbness and then all encompassing depression. On top of these feelings I want my Mum (she passed many years ago) she would be able to help. This feeling came out of know where and made it worst. I have a GP appointment in 2 days but I often cancel them and chicken out to speak up. I'm afraid if I continue to do this I will hurt myself. How do I find the courage to tell someone what I have been going through? I find it hard to open up with friends and family how can I get over this? Any advice would be helpful at this point.