Depression

Depression affects people in Australia every day. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with depression.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Jeriava How do I talk to my doctor?
  • replies: 9

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really ... View more

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really scared that they’ll judge me or won’t believe anything I say. I’m really anti social so I feel like I won’t be able to say what I wanna say or I’ll say the wrong thing causing them to just dismiss me and move me along without helping. I’m just tired of feeling alone, depressed and just worthless but I’m really scared to talk to them.

Chris_B Are you looking to support someone else with depression? PLEASE READ before posting
  • replies: 0

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and f... View more

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and friends with a mental health condition It's full of threads from people who have family members and friends going through anxiety, depression or other related conditions. Have a read through the threads there, and feel free to take part in the discussions. Below are also some helpful beyondblue resources you might want to look through first as well: Supporting someone Have the conversation

AGrace SELF HELP TIPS FOR MANAGING DEPRESSION
  • replies: 132

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the ... View more

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the 5 senses Distress Tolerance – Accepting Emotions and Self Soothing Distraction – Put the thoughts/feelings aside and come back to them when you are ready to deal with them Positive Affirmations – Have some affirmations written down repeat them to yourself daily Sleep/Exercise/Diet – All 3 aspects of our lifestyle can impact the way we think/feel Increasing Pleasurable Activities – Engage in at least one pleasurable activity per day

All discussions

Joey84 No friends, wife doesnt care, lonely
  • replies: 5

Been dealing with this for a long time and want to meet new people but cant because of wife not letting me, plus my anxiety doesnt help meeting new people but im lonely and wish i had friends or people that would put in the same amount of effort i pu... View more

Been dealing with this for a long time and want to meet new people but cant because of wife not letting me, plus my anxiety doesnt help meeting new people but im lonely and wish i had friends or people that would put in the same amount of effort i put in. Instead of me being the only person making effort or constantly being judged. Not sure why im posting here but anything worth a try.

Coco18-8 Feel like I can’t talk to anyone.

I have been in a dark spot for the past two weeks. I am all over the place, crying constantly, having breakdowns before school and the thought of going to hangout with someone feels like a chore. I was going to discuss this with my therapist yesterda... View more

I have been in a dark spot for the past two weeks. I am all over the place, crying constantly, having breakdowns before school and the thought of going to hangout with someone feels like a chore. I was going to discuss this with my therapist yesterday but due to weather conditions, she cancelled. I just want to talk to someone, everyday is beginning to feel more overwhelming and hard. I can’t speak to my therapist until our next appointment which is in two months (her earliest I could get) I’m scared, I can’t talk to my parents , we’ve had our battles and there’s a massive Barrier between us and I just can’t be vulnerable in front of them , it’s to scary. And we’ll my friends, I don’t feel like they really care, I feel like there like yeah ok your going through something aren’t we all. Overall I just needed to talk to someone and this was the closest I could get. So thank you

catlvr my depression doesn't feel real?

Hi, I'm a first year uni student. i just moved to a new state where i know nobody and i've been feeling so lonely. i feel like i ave "depression" but idk if its just a phase like "everyone goes thru this" usually this is what ppl tell me when i try t... View more

Hi, I'm a first year uni student. i just moved to a new state where i know nobody and i've been feeling so lonely. i feel like i ave "depression" but idk if its just a phase like "everyone goes thru this" usually this is what ppl tell me when i try to to talk to someone they tell me that everyone is sad but just hide it better which makes my feelings feel invalid and that im just an attention seeker because i can't hide my "depression". im using quotations on the word depression because i am not medically diagnosed. i would say ive been "depressed" since i was 16 and hve had bad thoughts and self-harmed. i want to seek medical help but its hard because therapy isn't very normalised in my family its considered an embarrassment or flaw and i will be looked down upon or even be called an attention seeker. i want to be able to feel again. i feel like i am dissociated from life right now. like im not living my life but someone else. a stimulation i could say. my cat is helping me stay alive. i also am not financially stable to get medical help. what do i do. i barely have friends and when i try talk to someone its not much help?

Chris_R How to obtain self worth with a learning disability

Hi there, I need some help please with how to find self worth when you have a learning disability. I am a 51 year old female who has struggled with leaning for most of my adult life. I didn't seem to have problems when I was in primary school, but fo... View more

Hi there, I need some help please with how to find self worth when you have a learning disability. I am a 51 year old female who has struggled with leaning for most of my adult life. I didn't seem to have problems when I was in primary school, but for whatever reason it became worse after years 11 and 12. So basically I find it hard to comprehend things, slow at learning and have a poor memory. This has always made it hard to obtain employment. I've had to resort to low skilled jobs that I don't enjoy. Hence I have never felt good about myself. Even at this age I have not learnt how to feel worthwhile. It's hard to enjoy life and be around others when you often don't understand what they are saying. It's extremely shameful. I know some people say concentrate on your strengths, but I seriously don't have any. I am not good at anything. If anyone can help me please with how does someone feel like their life is worth living when they have little to contribute. Thanks

watabasketcase 25 Female: Chronic Depression for over 10 years. Feel Invalidated and mistreated. Tried everything, virtually support systems.

I will try to cut to the chase. I have suffered from pretty bad anxiety and severe depression my whole life. Every year since I was 13 has been a real struggle. I can't actually pinpoint any time from 2010 to now and actually describe sustained feeli... View more

I will try to cut to the chase. I have suffered from pretty bad anxiety and severe depression my whole life. Every year since I was 13 has been a real struggle. I can't actually pinpoint any time from 2010 to now and actually describe sustained feelings of happiness. I was severely bullied in high school and after a long hard think about it, I actually think I have C-PTSD. I was given medication by one psychiatrist for PTSD but then another one said I only have depression, so that made me feel invalidated. I am at a loss for what to do and I have tried everything: Psychology (maybe 5-7 since I was 14) ((Seeing one now and she is the most helpful to keep me alive)) Psychiatry (Only outpatient, but public/private) - 15 medications tried, every class of anti-depressant, tried off label drugs too, my most recent psychiatrist basically insinuated he doesn't know what to do CBT Hypnotherapy Alternative medicines, naturopathy, vitamins, Chinese medicine Group therapy Meditation I have also tried everything practical to improve my situation: Exercise, joining volunteer groups, group therapy etc but it doesn't work or make me feel better. In the last youth group therapy I did, I was given 'wide eyes' for being a virgin, literally. Also balancing all these things to try and make myself 'better' while juggling life chores (work, money) at my age seems impossible while being totally alone with no joy outlet or anyone to really talk to about chronic depression and how it steals your life. (I have no close friends, never had a relationship, sexually inexperienced) I feel at a total loss because it seems no one has any answers to a depression that stays around for this long for someone my age without another condition/comorbidity present. I think part of my problem is I present as too normal but I'm a broken person inside; very detached. I feel I have fallen through the cracks and I just go through the motions of getting help. (At 24, basically, because I have a uni degree and I work full-time that must mean I'm 'not that bad' so no professional truly takes my issues onboard). I literally have nothing to lean on. I have no hobbies or goals. I can't use any support chats/or lines without being ''enraged'' because they just tell me to see a psychologist even though I have already explained what I did above. While I understand beyondblue is mainly a referral service, I just mean that's how stuck I feel when I'm low and already doing 'everything' to fix myself.

Guest_9122 History repeating itself...
  • replies: 3

Forum noob here, but not new to depression. Nearly 40 female, adult diagnosed aspie, outcast even among my own people. Unemployable but unable to get DSP or NDIS. Each fortnight I get to choose between eating well and having no fun in my life, or eat... View more

Forum noob here, but not new to depression. Nearly 40 female, adult diagnosed aspie, outcast even among my own people. Unemployable but unable to get DSP or NDIS. Each fortnight I get to choose between eating well and having no fun in my life, or eating cardboard and doing cool things. Nearly all my many past relationships ended because I got left behind or forgotten, to the point where I no longer have faith that I'm wanted by anyone. My confidence in my own worthlessness combined with near constant life stress means I have zero ability to tolerate stress or regulate my emotions. Frequently not being listened to led to a form of selective mutism, so even just typing this is a supreme act of will. Part time identity issues from a lifetime of camoflaging. Many previous attempts at psych have failed. Currently learning old life lessons all over again because apparently I let my guard down. I fell in love with an amazing man who gave me everything I wanted, we had two glorious months before it all went to hell. I became homeless at the same time as his housemate forced an emergency move on him. He ended up in the worst of shared rentals while I couch surfed. Covid happened, and we have pretty much been struggling to catch up for a year now. I managed to find a place with a well meaning but lazy housemate, where I'm pretty much the non willing caretaker figure. I happily volunteered to help partner hide some very expensive stuff from his alcoholic housemate, but after recent nearby floods I won't be doing so again. Long story short, his unreasonable demands would have left both me and my space damaged for no reason. I almost injured myself doing pointless tasks to reassure him, but nothing I or the experts said/did would ever be enough. Even after the floods are over, he still thinks that I put his life savings in danger. This isn't the first time communication failed, but we got help and I thought we were doing so well. He has agreed to see the counsellor again but thats ten days away. I love the bits out of him and hope we can get back what we lost. I have given him so much patience and support because of our circumstances, including the lack of sex life, despite it wreaking havoc on my headspace. My trust is in tatters again and the fortress walls are getting bigger. I can't talk to anyone I know.

car10001 how do you meet people into cars and what are clues that its time to change jobs and what can you do to try and hang on until time is right
  • replies: 1

hi everyone was wondering how do you meet people into cars when you work in hospitality and work weekends when car shows and swap meets are usually on which is probably best place to meet people into them. one reason in the probably many reasons is l... View more

hi everyone was wondering how do you meet people into cars when you work in hospitality and work weekends when car shows and swap meets are usually on which is probably best place to meet people into them. one reason in the probably many reasons is last week (21/2) the sister blew the engine up in her astra on the way home from the adelaide fringe and it had to be towed back on a flatbed truck so thats ok. tomorrow (3/3) the father is going to tow it to the wreckers and thats ok as shes decided to move it on because of the extensive work needed to be done to engine. however the towing to wreckers thing is making me think about how much am wanting to meet people into cars and stuff and having more chances and having at least a work place of your own to work on things and have a better chance of the cars and storing a weekend and show one. how can you attend swap meets and car shows and meet people into cars when you work in hospitality which always works weekends when those events are usually on which is probably best place and also when people are usually going out doing stuff? what can you do to try and hang on until the time is right to get out which means get out. what are the clues that its time to change jobs and what can you do to try and hang on until youre able to get out and do something else thats closer to normal business hours and have a weekend and a life as well. love working but also like to have a life as well and worked in hospitality for nearly 14 years and feel its time to start thinking about a way out and 14-15 years of giving up your life is long enough and missed out on a lot because of the hospitality industry. plus its got harder ever since it re opened after the 2020 shut down and hasent gotten any better. also the owner of the cafe that am working at is selling it and it may take a week or may take a couple years no one knows but when it sells or after her 60th thats it am getting out even though will keep in touch. also what other jobs can someone like me do that has a mild disability but can still work part time and is there hope for someone like that to find other part time work and get a bit more money to supplement centrelink. am planning to do handyman starting with the basic stuff and include test and tag and maybe if needed add something else which surely will be enough work to do it 2-3 days a week. if anyones got answers thatd be great thanks for reading and understanding what am going through thanks

Qtpye3_16 Functional Depression: New brand same fresh hell
  • replies: 7

I just need to vent somewhere and figured I'd finally use one of the 500 cop out websites we get given every "mental health awareness" day. I'm honestly sick of being depressed. I've been on and off depressed since I was 13. But being depressed in my... View more

I just need to vent somewhere and figured I'd finally use one of the 500 cop out websites we get given every "mental health awareness" day. I'm honestly sick of being depressed. I've been on and off depressed since I was 13. But being depressed in my 30s feels like a new demon. Like I did my time and I know it never gets away but God I'm tired of this surely the relief kicks in soon? I've worked very hard to make a relatively stable life for myself. I have a government job where I assist people in dark places, it's incredibly stressful but the pay is good and I've come further than any member of my family. I have a good circle of friends and nothing overly dramatically bad is happening apart from the vicarious trauma and constant stress from my job. So I don't really have any good reason to feel so grey every day. And I think that's why this brand of depression feels different. It's like I'm not particularly sad all the time... It's just that everything is hard. I'm always tired. I can never keep up. The smallest bit of exercise is exhausting. I'm crying for no reason and I have to mimic connection with my friends because I feel absolutely nothing. I'm trying to keep my weight down which is exceptionally hard because I'm always hungry and struggle to cook. Im also angry about everything all the time. I punch my steering wheel for stress relief and rage seems to fly out of no where followed closely by sobbing for what feels like absolutely no reason. I feel like I'm out of my mind most of the time. Social anxiety has been replaced by having absolutely no interest in other people that aren't my clients. Even my co-workers. I feel like I'm constantly on some kind of out of office automated answerer. "Yes I did have a lovely weekend Martha you?" I feel like I'm just existing outside of my body watching myself going through the motions. Everything I do is hard and I'm pushing myself just to get up in the morning. Things are so much harder then they should be. But I can't lose appearances because I have to keep up this charade so I don't lose my job or my friends or the things in life I worked so hard for. And if I really told people on R U Ok Day "hey actually I'm not ok" And I know it's episodal and it will go away and I'll wake up and feel like I slept through the last 6 months but just does anyone understand this?

41singleBNE I lost my job, again
  • replies: 9

It all started in 2020. I’d had steady employment for the previous 4 years, but saw a much better opportunity with better pay. I applied and instantly got an interview. After waving an impressive sized carrot, I now had a new position. I loved every ... View more

It all started in 2020. I’d had steady employment for the previous 4 years, but saw a much better opportunity with better pay. I applied and instantly got an interview. After waving an impressive sized carrot, I now had a new position. I loved every minute there, and never put a foot wrong (in my mind). But 6 months and 1 minute later, I had expected to pass the probationary period. Instead I was told I wasn’t a good fit for the company and promptly dismissed. The real reason was that they wanted someone half my age for half the money. This was September 2020 and it left me gutted. I felt like my soul had been ripped out and to this day I’m still very dark about the whole experience. I soon found another role only to quit that job after a few months. I then found another one, spent a few months there before moving on again. Unhappy, unfulfilled, and accepting roles purely as a paycheque but hating the actual work. All this time I’d been unable to take any meaningful length of time off due to not being on someone’s books long enough. It was beginning to wear me down, it felt that worklife was a state of perpetual exhaustion. Today I lost my 6th full time position since that fateful day in September 2020. I was dismissed due to poor workmanship. I need to work as I have no savings and have always lived pay cycle to pay cycle as many people do. But I just can’t continue drinking 4-5 cans of Red Bull per day just to function. I hate myself and have been having very dark thoughts. I have no formal qualifications and don’t consider myself very employable at all.

Alannah57 Intense empty feelings

My ex called me and I feel like he just wants to use me to get over his ex again. I feel all these feelings on pessimism, anger and I’ve had depressive empty thoughts. I want to self-destruct a bit feeling-wise, although obviously I’m sensible enough... View more

My ex called me and I feel like he just wants to use me to get over his ex again. I feel all these feelings on pessimism, anger and I’ve had depressive empty thoughts. I want to self-destruct a bit feeling-wise, although obviously I’m sensible enough not to do anything destructive. How do you cope with bile from your head? I really want to drink to cope or just scream or go swimming in ice cold water, I know that sounds intense but I am on the bipolar spectrum.