FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Am I depressed?

Froggy_you
Community Member

There’s so much going on I don’t even know where to begin.

From living with an unreasonable partner to feeling so useless, I have a lot of crap going on in my life.

My social anxiety has been getting so bad. Im giving interviews but my anxiety catches up during the video calls and I end up messing it all up so I’m not getting any jobs. Secondly, I learnt that everything I have done up until now in my career did not equip me for a proper job in the field so I have to start all over again. And I’m 31!!!! I moved to Australia a couple months ago so everything is new to me. I have no friends to spend time with. My cat died because of my moms carelessness back at home.

I feel so lethargic that I literally don’t want to do anything at all! I have to learn some things career wise but I cannot get started. I just cannot bring myself to doing anything besides doing chores. I also have a messed up sleep pattern. It’s hard for me to both go to sleep as well as wake up and I never feel well rested even when I wake up.
I don’t do much but I am still low on energy and it’s like, I don’t understand what’s happening with my body.

I’m also extremes self critical about myself. Today I had a breakdown because I realised that I don’t have what it takes to just do the things I want. I keep envying the people who do what they do without worrying what people will think. I’m constantly worried about if I am making myself look stupid. It’s so difficult to even put my feelings in words at this time.

I know this post is all over the place but I don’t want to think too much, I just want to put it out there and ask what you guys would do to cope with this kind of situation. I am so lost. I use to take meds for anxiety a couple of year back but I stopped and idk if I should be taking more.

3 Replies 3

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Froggy, hi and welcome.

We can only suggest as we're not qualified, however, if you were a close friend then we would be able to make a comment, but in your comment there are so many issues you have mentioned that could indicate this to be so.

To live with an unreasonable partner could well be the catalyst to cause the beginning of how you are feeling and wonder if you are receiving any help at the moment, which can start by visiting your doctor.

Hope to hear back from you.

Geoff.

Sophie_M
Dear Froggy_you,

We are greatful that you found the inner strength and courage to post on our forum. We are a helpful and supportive community.

First, here in Australia, only doctors, psychiatrists, and psychologists are permitted to perform mental health diagnoses, including anxiety and depression. Our normal advice is to go meet with your GP (general practitioner, primary care doctor)to get an assessment and diagnosis. However, as you have only been here a few months, you may not yet have found a GP. Do you have Medicare here?

Next, each country has its own culture. When we move to a new country, we are suddenly thrown into significant mental and emotional confusion and distress because many of the little things which we know as familiar and comforting cultural norms, behaviours, and expressions, are very different; even when we come over from another similar country that speaks the same language. As you have not told us where you moved here from, we are unable to give any more specific examples or information which would be relevant to you.

In addition to this stressor, your beloved cat has passed on. This adds necessary grieving to the complex emotions for you to work through.

We would like to encourage you to be patient and gentle with yourself whilst you are emotionally adjusting to your new situation, culture, and country.

We would also like to encourage you to ring Beyond Blue at 1300 22 4636, or Lifeline at 13 1114, so you can talk with a mental health worker who can help you start working through your emotional confusion, and both services are free.

We are always here for you.

Warm regards,

Sophie M.

james1
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hey Froggy_you,

Welcome to the forums and welcome to Australia as well! I'm sorry to hear your time here has not been good.

It sounds like there is a lot going on in your life at the moment and I really hope you can get the support you need. As Geoff and Sophie M mentioned, the professional doctors are the first place to go for this, though I realise that may be a bit harder if you have only just arrived. Is this something that you are able to do?

Otherwise, I'm really sorry to hear about your cat. Pets are so important and I can only imagine how difficult that is. I have a dog, a bird and a rabbit, and it makes me so nervous any time I leave for an extended period of time just wondering if they'll be okay.

Anyway, I wanted to just post here to first let you know that you have us to talk to. It's not the same as being in person, but we are real people too who have had mental health challenges, and understand how difficult it can be. I'm actually 30 so really close in age to you, so I understand the struggle you are having with work as well. There's so much more to say, but I don't want to overwhelm you and sometimes, I think it can be really helpful just to put it all out there but then just deal with things one at a time.

James