FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

ADHD & Depression

Nirvana2013
Community Member

Hello all,I'm new to the site I have suffered depression since I can remember at least back when I was at pre-school I am now 48 yo I am also ADHD which was diagnosed 18 months ago ( to my relief ) giving me some understanding as to what was wrong with me 🙂 I have a good job a couple of very close good friends & 2 gorgeous teenage boys who are my world & whom I frustrate like crazy & sometimes think they would be better off without me (though I know this is not true) it is a constant struggle to keep tricking the mind to think positive & stay on top of things. As I have not been on medication for depression for the last 5 years I'm wondering is it possible & do others battle on without medication? Any advise will be kindly appreciated.

4 Replies 4

The_Real_David_Charles
Community Member

Dear Nirvana,

Good Luck with holding onto the remote tonight with 2 teenage boys.....

Medication is a weird thing.   When we're on it and doing fine we sometimes think "Hey, things are great.  Might not need these meds after all".   When we have to change meds we get frustrated and think "Bloody doctors - why can't they get it right".   When we get side effects AND we're constantly struggling we think "What now ?".     The chances are your medication will be around for a while.  Maybe as a back up or as part of the main treatment.   But sometimes a bit of healthy eating, exercise and mindset can get you passed the medication cabinet.

It was interesting to read about your perspective that it is your boys who you "frustrate like crazy" and not other way around.  There is always the old trick of waiting for someone to be in the shower before turning the hot water tap on at the kitchen sink.   And then waiting for the scream.  ADHD ?   You bet.

Adios, David.

PS  I'm bipolar so unfortunately any medication lapse leaves me vulnerable for a manic episode.   But it's a good buzz to avoid the med nothingness.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

dear Nirvana, sounds like it's been pretty awful for a long time.

I do believe that you should be on medication both for ADHD and depression, but your doctor should know, and it makes me wonder why they haven't done so already.

It's a terrible combination you have and I think that by taking medication will help you and then make your teenage kids happier. Geoff.

Dear David, I went off medication back in early 2008 as I had applied for a job that I had been wanting for some years when on the application it asked are you currently on prescription medication?I stated NO and I've taken nothing since.

I think I had a slight premonition of the "black dog" rearing its ugly head back into my life as I had joined beyondblue on the 7 June with no real reason other than I had been thinking of my ADHD also it crossed my mind "am I going through depression or do I just think I may be slightly"I can kid myself at times 

Im off to the Doctors tomorrow, Im struggling to get out of bed let alone go to work at present, last week has been horrendous,however I will get there.

Thankyou for your post.

Dear Geoff

I agree with you on the medication and will be doing something about it tomorrow to be honest tomorrow can't come quick enough.

I couldn't get back onto the site until now for some silly reason (I did put logging on into the too hard basket)had trouble with my password etc however it's all good now.

I hav'nt been to the same Doctor for some time Geoff I had also not made them aware of things as I guess I was in denial..I know at this present moment Im not coping and the thought of Medication is quiet welcoming just a fraction of relief would be good.Kerry.