FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

What If Future You Met Young You.What Advice Would You Give Yourself?

Denv12
Community Member

Here's a topic to cheer you up. Think about this. If future you met young you,what advice would you give yourself? Its a back to the future situation.Have you seen those ads where you from the future tries to help younger you? Thats what my thread is all about. Think of all the things you have learnt throughout your life so far.What advice could you give yourself so you could give yourself the best quality of life?

Please share you thoughts.

Regards Denv12.

24 Replies 24

Delectable
Community Member

As I’ve had to parent myself from 13 and up I would have studied subjects that in my transition from country to city schooling that followed on from year 7 and 8: I would have gotten a part time job and saved every cent for travel and gone backpacking at 18 to Europe. Dreams....

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

Everything will work out.

My psychologist had me write some homework in the form of a letter to my younger self. If any part of my life were able to change, I would likely not be here writing this reply. As much as it sucks with mental illness, I have also learnt a lot about myself and other things.

Mum Chris
Community Member

Future me visits young me. Oh my gosh where to start. There's too much and too many cross roads. As a teenager I made mistakes and after I dragged myself out of that made more mistakes

I'm thinking and thinking but there is too many to choose from. So many situations were set in stone

But future me would tell young me everything will be ok. This too will pass and feelings are not facts. Also don't be so trusting judge people by actions and not words.

Not_Batman
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

if it was child me, it’d be help your mum.
if it was teenage me, probably pay attention in school.

things turned out ok now, but they were very hard work, and long hours. But i suppose i wouldn't know what i know today had i taken a left instead of a right.

hindsight has 20-20 vision so it is easy to see what decisions we could have made.

Not_Batman

romantic_thi3f
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Denv12,

What a great question. I've thought about this one before, and even joked 'buy shares in Apple' only to imagine she'd be later looking at apples in the supermarket wondering what ?

My true answer though would be to give her a really good bear hug, and tell her that I promise everything will be okay eventually.

rt

PinkFeather
Community Member
Don't mistake excitement for happiness.

AJH
Community Member

I would tell my young self the real truth; that no one will ever truly love or care about you.

After all, here I am 37 years on still in this living hell.

Hey AJH,

We're so sorry to hear how much pain you are in, and that you're feeling that nobody cares for you. It must be incredibly difficult to be sitting with these feelings, but we are so glad that you decided to reach out and join us here on the forums. Please know that you're never alone in this, and our caring community are here for you. If you feel up to it, we'd also really encourage you to talk these feelings through with the lovely counsellors at our Beyond Blue Support Service, who are available 24/7 by phone on 1300 22 4636 or through Webchat (1pm-12am AEST) at: www.beyondblue.org.au/getsupport. The counsellors are there to help offer advice and support, as often as you need during low moments like these.  We hope that you can find some comfort in the kindness that our community can offer.

NobleAlarc32
Community Member

“Look, I could tell you what you should do, which moments to avoid, which opportunities to seek, which regrets to never have felt in the first place... but we both know you won’t retain any memory of this encounter until I meet my past self face-to-face, right now. I mean you’ve watched-

“Yep, exactly like those crossover stories. That real-world scientist was absolutely correct. And the only reason I can confirm it is that only now do I remember meeting my then-future self, and - yes - I most definitely forgot said encounter as soon as he... “I”... was out of sight. The one thing I recall is that mysterious slip of paper suddenly being in my hand... oh, here, take this. You’re welcome.

”Consider it an investment. The catalyst that ultimately leads to this encounter in the first place. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

”Well... since you won’t remember, this isn’t technically a spoiler, so... Never give up. Trust your instincts.

”Hahaha... pretty much! Now, young moon rabbit, go. Take your dreams off the shelf... and sculpt them into your reality. You will be... amazing. I am merely proof of concept.

”One day... count on it.

”And you... have a fantastic life. Vale.”