FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

What Do You Collect/Whats Your Hobbies?

Denv12
Community Member

Most people have some sort of hobby. The enjoyment and satisfaction of a hobby is a great way to be at peace.

Who remembers the old K-Tel records of the 60s and 70s? Who's still got them? Yep,I kept mine. Mind you I started collecting the 70s compilation hits albums like Whopper,Ripper,Ripper 76,Explosive Hits 75,Bobby Dazzler,Unreal,etc. Got a great collection too.Even bought the 45s and those box sets of albums like Readers Digest,etc.

As for books I like collecting books. Usually on my favourate cars. I have a lot of self help books. I like things from the past like old toys just like the ones I had as a child. Nothing like brightening your day by looking at old toys taking your back to your childhood.

Over to you: What do you collect/whats your hobbies?

91 Replies 91

White_Rose
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Denv12

You have some interesting hobbies. Mine are more mundane. I enjoy embroidery, knitting, scrapbooking, music, meditation, and I have a huge library.

I do not read much fiction these days, except the choice from my book club. I read poetry, philosophy, biographies, history, especially medieval history, lots of spiritual books and what I call sociology which includes Matt Ridley, Jared Diamond, Charles Darwin, Richard Dawkins, Hugh Mackay and C S Lewis. Plus a group of odd books that appeal for some reason.

I used to collect teddy bears but realised the house was being taken over so gave away most of them.

A hobby I have indulged in for many years is tracing my family history. I have spent hundreds of hours and heaps of money on this but I find it it so satisfying. The search to know where I came from. Unfortunately I am not descended from any royal house or wealthy family. Just ordinary, everyday people, though I have found a couple of scandals.

I would love to read of other people's hobbies.

Narniakid
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hey Denv12!

My hobbies are similar to White Rose's; I enjoy reading, scrapbooking and listening to music, and I'm also a bit of a part-time pencil artist, and I've been fortunate enough to have my works exhibited a couple of times. I like trying new cafes and coffee shops, and I also do a lot of fundraising and volunteering for a number of different organisations.

You could say I'm pretty busy most of the time, I definitely have to schedule in my hobby-time.

Keep the posts coming!

Thanks all for sharing your hobbies and interests.

Some people collect some really weird and interesting items, like one guy who collects samples of barbed wire! Who would have guessed there were so many different varieties!

As a teenager I collected items to do with frogs. For my 16th Birthday I received hundreds of Freddo Frogs! I had a stuffed toy frog that was about two metres long. I'm not even sure what happened to all my frogs in the end!

Years later I started a collection of clown figures. I liked the really bright coloured costumes and the sense of fun and happiness.

I also enjoy a variety of crafts and would love to have more time and energy to devote to them. I would like to try wood working, pottery and iron mongering. The creativeness of some people really amazes me.

I enjoy attending art festivals and craft shows to see what is available.

For you record collectors, how do you feel when you see old records that have been melted and changed into bowls. I saw a couple that had been changed into a handbag!

I enjoy taking photos as well and would love to have a lot of enlarged photos around the house that I could change over now and then.

This is a great thread. Thanks.

Cheers all from Mrs. Dools.

Denv12
Community Member

Thank you to all of you who have replied. Its a positive response. Please contribute to this post.

Back around 1995 onwards (I think) there was an Australian type newspaper/trader called:

"The Collectormania". It eventually got bought by "The Trading Post". The paper came out every month. It was originally started by 2 school teachers who lived in the vicinity of Castlemaine in Victoria. Some of things people collected like beach balls,chocolate bar wrappers,bottle topc,diecast toys and so on. It was a real eye opener to the world of collectors. That newspaper shut down a few years ago. It was on to something big. I had bought books,magazines,diecast toys,etc for my own collections. Still got them too.

Please enjoy this topic and remember,you are brightening everyone's day by contributing to this topic.

Thanks again to everyone for joining in.

tulpa
Community Member
I have a large collection of board games, toy soldiers (some of which I still have to get around to painting) and card games, board games that include toy soldiers just make me go nuts!

johnball
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Great post Denv12, it's nice to read about other people's hobbies.

My friends occasionally joke that I have too many interests and I wonder if there is such thing sometimes!

I tend to cycle through hobbies, they go on the back burner to make way for old or new ones and they'll re-emerge in future.

Right now I'm painting in water colours, drawing, learning to use a graphics tablet (for digital illustration), cycling, collecting commemorative coins that circulate (20c, 50c, $1)

I was recently wood working/carving and carving wooden spoons which I found very therapeutic!

Your quote goes here

Simona
Community Member

I collect handbags and boots.    Three  years ago I had 22 pairs of boots under my bed and in wardrobe but have reduced down to 4 pairs

The psychology to this obsession is:   a quick exit.   You get to take these with you if something unexpected happens

you grab your bag and pull on your boots and you just go

Mickey26
Community Member

I like the toy soldiers too. Me and my brother have been collecting them since I was in year 4, back in the mid-90's. He's a real alpha male so this is one of the few things we share in common.

I like to collect trading cards and I'm nuts about music. I also enjoy coming up with ideas for videogames and such---I've got stacks of notebooks full of the things. I'd like to take these ideas further but I've always been strongly discouraged. My bro used to make fun of this and the ideas I'd come up with. Anyway these days I rarely play videogames cos every time I try I end up get more ideas and write them down instead of playing through the game. I just enjoy thinking about that sort of stuff.

Thanks for reading sorry I haven't made any attempt to reply to other people it's hard to think of stuff to say.

Gruffudd
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
It turns out that I do have a collection of sorts. Spode Blue Italian. I started with one plate as a bit of a reward and then went on to build it up little by little with new, opshop, eBay... My favourites are the ones that are over 100 years old, I like to imagine the people who ate off those plates, the places they lived. I visited the museum in Melbourne and there from an archeological dig was Blue Italian found in little Lonsdale street. In my own back yard I found a buried rubbish heap near the old out house and in there a broken cup, Blue Italian. I like the way it makes me feel connected to generations past and my city.