FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

PETS - gotta love them! Share funny, loving stories about pets and animals.

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello,

I thought I would start this thread, about our pets.

I have read in the forums a lot of us has a pet or pets of some kind.

Be it a dog, cat, bird, rabbit, guinie pig, tortoise, snake, lizard etc: they bring joy to our lives, they are there for us giving us unconditional love.

I thought a it would be nice if we could share our pets antics, or if you've seen other animals, doing things that have made you laugh.

They can be funny, loving, outrageous, anything that your pet does or does not do that puts a smile on your face and might put a smile on someone's face that is struggling.

Please keep the stories light hearted and happy,

We all love our pets, let's let others enjoy them as well..

I will go first to get it up and running.

I have two little dogs, Maltese x Yorkshire x Aussie Terriers, I have Mum (4 years old) and Daughter (2years old).

My dogs have the run of the house, my back screen door after many attempts and lots of failures I put a doggie dog into it. I love theses two they are my fur family.

My story is about another dog I had many years ago, I called him boof he was a Belgium Shepard, I was sitting at my kitchen table one day just looking out my back door (creedance). Boof was just relaxing in the shade with my young son. It was a hot day and I thought I might take my young son into the pool. I was about to go outside when all of a sudden a cat ran across our yard, well Boof just took off after the cat yep my young son took off after Boof, then Boof it looked like his brakes stopped working, he was chasing the cat then I saw him slide (son still chasing him). he couldnt stop, he slid into the swimming pool with such force he bent the tin frame nearly flat to the inside of the pool, well a waterfall began, Boof was on the other side of the pool he crashed straight through it, my son ended up slipping on the water skidded to the other end of the pool, crashing and landing on Boofy scream of laughter was coming from my son, absolutely soaked to the skin covered in mud, Boof was trying to get up, slipping all over the place from the mud as well I think he was seeing stars from his hard hit, he couldn't get up. I couldn't stop laughing at the pair of them. They looked so funny covered in mud, the pool was later repaired. Son and dog was hosed off so it all ended well

Do you have a pet story to tell?

Kind thoughts

Grandy.

205 Replies 205

PamelaR
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Thank you for sharing your story randomx.

Oh my, such an unfortunate thing to have happened to your pooch. Poor doggie and I bet he didn't want to touch vodka again either. Bit expensive I would imagine too.

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Mary,

Mary your cat sounds so lovable and affectionate, and the comfort he would find from the warmth of your sons back, I think he knew where the best spot in the house was.

I laughed when you mentioned how fluffy would sun himself on the window ledge then fall of, I could image the look on his face, it would have been priceless. A lot of cats and dogs just love the warmth of the sun through the glass. What a lovely story about fluffy.

Mary you certainly have had a lot of beautiful animals in your care over a period of time, The snake oh how close was I to be bitten, my dog was only a puppy 8 weeks old when she alerted me to how close the snake got to us.

Thank you Mary so much for sharing, I hope your story put a smile on someone's face.

Kind thoughts,

Karen.

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Pamela,

I can see that your one eyed cockatoo had a mischievous personality, I think if a bird laughed at me while I was scolding it, laughed like me, I would forget everything and as you did start laughing with the bird, Then we now have two laughing Pamela's what a treasure your one eyed cockatoo was.

Thank you for sharing.

Kind thoughts

Karen.

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Randomx,

Oh Randomx, what can I say, I want to laugh and cry at the same time.

Im so pleased that your fur buddy was okay, wow 6 days, I wonder if that's a record, poor dog.. He was probably only going to taste it but decided it was to good so drank the lot, 2 glasses he must have liked it. Would have been hard to tell the vet what happened though.

Those 2 glasses of vodka were very expensive.

Thank Randomx for sharing.

Kind thoughts

Karen.

If your reading, jump on board let us know about your special friend,

bindi-QLD
Community Member

Welcome Mary and random X, I really enjoyed your stories and related very well. It was so great reading happy, affectionate stories first thing in the morning too, thanks so much for sharing them.

Mary, I loved you how you described the dignity of Cats, and fluffy in particular:) Some of my happiest memories have been living with cats of all types, and OMG Kittens. I believe its almost impossible to be depressed if you live with a kitten.

Randomx, I can imagine how bad you felt about your dog, I'm so glad he pulled through, what a champion. Hey if you're interested, you can keep activated charcoal around for emergencies, when pets get into the wrong things and poison themselves. It comes as black, chalky pills from the chemist. If you give it to them within an hour or so of the poisoning, it'll treat overdose of alcohol and other kinds of poisoning.

Karen, I really loved that you kept a disabled Magpie, they are so smart and playful aren't they? I had one as a kid too, and always befriend my local Maggies. Ours just had babies , its such a treat when the babies come around.

Pam, Cockies are very close to my heart too. We had a couple as kids, they were like family. Where I live now is sort of on a bushy mountain ridge, next to national park. Its a real treat having big healthy Mountain cockies come around, and occassional Black ones too. Everyone around here loves the wild cockies, they are very entitled and like to be hand fed. Someone's tamed up the odd King parrot and Gallah as well, sometimes they will turn up, fly right up to you and wait for some food. Its been great for my bird photography:)

Please join in anybody else? Its really great reading about your lives with pets, Thanks so much:)

I feel in the mood for story telling so here is another Fluffy story or two.

If he wanted a cuddle or just a warm person to sit on he would simply jump into your lap. However this difficult if you were reading a book or newspaper. Then he would crawl up along your lap and poke his head out between the book and you. The rest of the body would follow and he would push the book and sit on it. No more reading, the king was in residence.

One of his favourite tricks was in the evening when we were having our dinner. Usually he had been fed but not to his satisfaction it seemed. He would first be seen standing on his hind legs resting his front paws on the edge of the table and gaze around. Then he would disappear and the next action would be a paw, only a paw, sliding onto the table and then on someone's plate swiftly hooking away the desired piece of food and disappear. We got wise very quickly and the first sight of his paws and head would result in him being ejected from the house until dinner was over.

The largest theft he attempted was the whole hind leg of the cow lying on the table and being cut up into meals before being frozen. My husband had started to cut the leg up when he realised it was sliding away. There was Fluffy, paw hooked into the leg, attempting to steal it. I shudder to think what would have happened if the leg had slipped off the table and landed on Fluffy. A lovely cat who enjoyed sleeping on the end of my bed but only when my husband was at work.

Reminiscing is an enjoyable pasttime especially when we remember our pets. Sadly I have no pets now.

Mary

I really relate to that story about Fluffy stealing dinner, Mary, so funny 🙂 Do you think there is way for you to have pets again? I know it can be hard, life situations can seem challenging for pet owners can't they? But you can't put a price on how valuable they are, in our lives. I still rent, and I still manage to find the right places for special needs animals. Anything is possible, there are good landlords. But I understand the frustration when you can't have pets 😞

The last time I had a `dinner stealer' it was a brushtail possum who used to walk into our house. My partner and I both grew up in rainforest areas, on rural land, and then moved to the city to study at uni. So for us, it was strange and also familiar having a native possum walk into our inner city house and inspect the dinner we just served , and help himself:) He was a little hurt, and looked like he had some scraps in his time, so we didn't mind. I think that guy made us both realize how much we missed nature, and needed to adjust our living to be closer to it again. He liked vegetarian ravioli best, and we found ourselves cooking it a lot , just to see how happy he was eating with us:)

PamelaR
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Awww Bindi, how lovely. Brushtail possums - aren't they the best. When we were living in the tropics we always had possums in the roof of our house. The last place we lived there were about 3. That made for really interesting times. They'd squabble at 3/4 in the morning as they came home from their evening jaunt.

One night I woke and I came face to face with a possum climbing the tree outside our window. We looked at one another. She/he kept on going, I went back to sleep.

Another night we were really concerned when the squabble was more fierce than usual and we heard a 'kathump' on the inside of the queenslander wall. I made my partner get up into the roof to inspect the wall cavities to make sure it was okay. All good!

I miss the darlings. We do get them occasionally where we're living at the moment. See them running along our back fence. And I'm sure they eat our veggies:)

Hi Pam,

I think they are darlings too, and I miss them a lot. We don't see many out here either. Maybe they just have more space and natural food, I hope that is why.

I know what you mean about the thumpety-thumpt sounds, they can be very noisy. We started to hand feed Brushtails at our last place (it was a different place to where we met Dinner-Stealer possum). Then they'd bring their babies around, riding on their back; OMG, the cuteness! You could feed the Mum a piece of apple, and she'd let you give a small piece to the baby on her back.

Ringtail possums were much more scarce, but we'd sometimes see a Mum with a pile of babies clinging to her back. Such beauties too.

I love that even if you don't have pets, or can't have them, it still possible to have regular animal companionship in the form of native wildlife. My partner and i have had some really long relationships with some of them.

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello, Mary, Bindi, Pamela,

Thank you all for you lovely pet stories, when I'm down they lift me up a little.

I think animals are so funny when they know the are doing something wrong but attempt to do so anyway, Fluffy sounds like such a lovely fur buddy, Stealing food is something they learn even as a teeny tiny puppy. The thought of fluffy with the big side of beef, made me laugh.

Mary....my two dogs sleep with me and always, Ebony the daughter she sleeps on top of my pillow behind my head, her mummy Kya, she sleeps on the side of me, she has to be touching me at all times, quite a few mornings I have woken up nearly off the bed. Both my dogs are little humans in a dog costume, they never leave my side.

Pamel, Bindi....I have only seen a possum a few times,the one I saw used to love climbing our walnut tree and spend days up their, when possum decided it was time to sleep we would hear that dinstinct thud as possum got of the tree onto the roof of our shed then it would dissapear until ready for another feed.

I had a elderly Minister, (female). Living across the road a while back, she had a labradoodle, both loved cheese. Minister used to make cheese tomato and ham sandwiches, her favourite, she called me over one day to watch her dog, minister put her sandwich on the arm of her lounge, anyway, her dog would get onto the lounge and steal the whole sandwich sit on the lounge and eat that slice of cheese and leave everything else including the ham. Ministers fur buddy, wouldn't eat any of his food unless she sprinkled cheese on top then mix it in.

There has never been a time in my life that I never had a fur buddy or a feathered buddy, my life has always had animals in it and I really do love having them around.

kindness only,

Karen