FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

PETS - gotta love them! Share funny, loving stories about pets and animals.

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello,

I thought I would start this thread, about our pets.

I have read in the forums a lot of us has a pet or pets of some kind.

Be it a dog, cat, bird, rabbit, guinie pig, tortoise, snake, lizard etc: they bring joy to our lives, they are there for us giving us unconditional love.

I thought a it would be nice if we could share our pets antics, or if you've seen other animals, doing things that have made you laugh.

They can be funny, loving, outrageous, anything that your pet does or does not do that puts a smile on your face and might put a smile on someone's face that is struggling.

Please keep the stories light hearted and happy,

We all love our pets, let's let others enjoy them as well..

I will go first to get it up and running.

I have two little dogs, Maltese x Yorkshire x Aussie Terriers, I have Mum (4 years old) and Daughter (2years old).

My dogs have the run of the house, my back screen door after many attempts and lots of failures I put a doggie dog into it. I love theses two they are my fur family.

My story is about another dog I had many years ago, I called him boof he was a Belgium Shepard, I was sitting at my kitchen table one day just looking out my back door (creedance). Boof was just relaxing in the shade with my young son. It was a hot day and I thought I might take my young son into the pool. I was about to go outside when all of a sudden a cat ran across our yard, well Boof just took off after the cat yep my young son took off after Boof, then Boof it looked like his brakes stopped working, he was chasing the cat then I saw him slide (son still chasing him). he couldnt stop, he slid into the swimming pool with such force he bent the tin frame nearly flat to the inside of the pool, well a waterfall began, Boof was on the other side of the pool he crashed straight through it, my son ended up slipping on the water skidded to the other end of the pool, crashing and landing on Boofy scream of laughter was coming from my son, absolutely soaked to the skin covered in mud, Boof was trying to get up, slipping all over the place from the mud as well I think he was seeing stars from his hard hit, he couldn't get up. I couldn't stop laughing at the pair of them. They looked so funny covered in mud, the pool was later repaired. Son and dog was hosed off so it all ended well

Do you have a pet story to tell?

Kind thoughts

Grandy.

205 Replies 205

bindi-QLD
Community Member

Haha, That was really funny Grandy, I could just imagine it. Thanks for sharing that, I love how pets can be such dorks, and I'll bet Boofy was smiling and so pleased with being covered in mud and wrecking the pool 🙂 You just can't get mad, can you? Its all part of their charm.

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Bindi,

Yes it was so funny, that happened over 20 years ago, It's a memory I'll never forget.. Those two,, son and Boof were always together, if one got into a pickle, they both would..

Thank you for dropping in,

Kind thoughts,

Grandy

PamelaR
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Ggrand

Loved your dog and son tale!! Thank you for sharing and starting the thread.

Pets can do the funniest things. I have two fur kids (felines). One is about 7 and the other going on for 3. Well the 3 year old is the funniest. She came from a house with 23 other cats and has learnt some interesting behaviour. Like when getting food ready, especially 'meat'. She's up on the bench, meowing and demanding. If you turn your back for a second (literally a second), she's off with a chicken leg, chicken thigh, pork chop. You name it. She looks like a leopard dragging her kill beside her. It is so funny (and of course so naughty). Our laughter I'm sure only encourages her. I've tried everything to change the behaviour - punishment (e.g. water spray bottle) has little or no affect (she just sits and stares at it). We have had much more success with rewards (e.g. gets a little of what we're cutting up when we're finished preparing the food). It's just sometimes she forgets herself. We love her and the other one to bits. I have some funny tales about the other one, but will leave that for another time.

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Thank you Bindi,

i wrote a reply earlier today it hasn't come through as yet,

The memories of that day will stay planted in my mind, it was so funny. Our pets are special and I agree they are dorky, but at the same time so special, No never can I get angry with them..Boof unfortunately is no longer with me, but the love he gave myself and my sons will live in our hearts forever.

karen

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Pamela,

I laughted at the thought of your Kitty dragging the pork chop, chicken thigh/ leg away from her victory. I heard about the spray bottle to stopping cats from being naughty, by what your saying she just stared at it, sounds like she was challenging you, so cute, I can see the winner there, not you. Pets rule us for sure, love it.

The rewards seems to work with pets, Don't they learn quickly, it only takes one time to give them an reward then it's automatically a routine for them, they know what to do to get their reward.

Love your story, thank you very much for sharing it, it certainly put a smile on my face..

I love all animals, They are innocent and always out to prove their love for us..

Kindness only,

Grandy.

PamelaR
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Thank you Grandy for your response. Yes I love all animals too. I really can't stand to see a movie that involves any form of cruelty to an animal. My feelings get so intense. Thank goodness they now make happier movies with animals.

It is really a spectacle to see my kitty with her prize.

Regards

PR

Birdy77
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Grandy,

I had a chook who used to think shd lived on the back porch.

She decided that that was her home.

Problem was, my dog was a bit frightened of my chook, couldn't get out the back door if she was there.

When he finally got out to the back yard to do whatevs, and wanted to come back inside, he would stand at the bottom of the steps and woof because the chook was standing at the top of the steps and he " couldn't " get past her 😂

Great thread Grandy!

🌻birdy

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Birdy,

Isnt strange how dogs will bark and carry on with strange people yet they are so gentle with other animals,

I bet the chicken was proud of itself, What kind of dog have you got Birdy, It would have been hard for you you to referee every time your dog needed outside, I have been told chickens are very territorial, not sure if it's true, but your chicken was.

Thank you for sharing Birdy, hopefully your story put a smile on someone's face.

Grandy.

bindi-QLD
Community Member

Hi Grandy again, and hi Pam and Birdy! I'm so glad you found this thread too. I loved hearing about your pets. I think their personalities are what I love best about them too.

Pam, I laughed at `leopard' kitten, I can imagine how funny that would be to watch. And Birdy, weird, I had a chook decide my back deck was its home once too. It was the neighbour's chook, but she decided our place was better and I was a better cuddler (she liked pats). I've had neighbour cats move in too, for the same kind of reasons:)

I've lived with many types of pets. Most of my pets these days are wildlife with minor disabilities or hand raised, rehomed birds, and a few lost pets I could never find an owner for.

I suppose one of the funniest of them is my little hand raised crested pigeon. She was given to me by a neighbour as a chick, really banged up and very sick. Anyway she made it , and grew up into a member of the household. She decided my partner was her mate, and I was her main cuddler. She would prefer pats all day if she got her way.

So, trying to cut to the funny part (sorry!) I was able to find her a mate. This is tricky with hand raised wild birds, they can think they are human . But she accepted him, and they became mates. They even built a nest in my cat scratch tree out zip ties and my poor moxem fern, which they destroyed and pulled apart for nest lining. They are always stealing unexpected things for their nest, the wierdest was a plastic shot glass they decided was good for nesting material. They also like wires and cables, so you've got to keep an eye on the modem.

So in spite of having a great mate, my girl crested pigeon still has a strange relationship with being raised as a human. The funny part is she deals with by picking times of the day she is human, and times of the day she is a pigeon.

In the morning, she is human, and only wants pats and to be around us and get pats. The rest of the day, she is a pigeon, she shows us by `unnecessarily vicious pecks' to our hands if we try to give her affection. I say that affectionately, she couldn't hurt a fly.

Anyway that's my funny story, sorry that got a bit long. Thanks for reading:)