FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Is anyone up for a chat?

Doolhof
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Everyone,

Sometimes it is great to have a place where you can just have a chat about something not related to your mental health. So here is the opportunity to have a general chat about anything and to maybe find a "friend" to help make the day feel brighter.

Occasionally I connect with people on the forums and a lovely  friendship develops, but it may seem to others that they are not welcome to join in the conversation. This is not the case.

So here is an opportunity for new friendships to happen.

Maybe you would like to share your favourite holiday destination, or place you would love to visit. If you could have any animal as a pet what would it be? What is your favourite flavoured ice cream?

For me right now I would love to be somewhere warm! We have been experiencing some rather cold weather where even the chooks water is freezing over during the night! Somewhere with a beach and warm sea to swim in would be lovely!

My favourite ice cream flavour would be Jaffa in one of those crunchy cones! I would love to be eating one down at that tropical beach paradise followed by a lovely fresh coconut and maybe a beach massage as well.

I will be dreaming about this as I drive around today for work listening to Meatloaf. Maybe I should be listening to The Beach Boys instead, but I don't think I have any of their music on CD.

Hope you all have a great day,

Cheers from Mrs. Dools

161 Replies 161

BKYTH
Community Member
I agree. I finished one post by stating "to say one is suffering from depression or whatever is merely to assert that one is suffering from being alive".  Life without suffering is not an option no more that life without death is.              It is enough to suffer from those things that cause us pain than to adopt the posture of a 'suffering' person. If you are a 'suffering' person who does that contrast with - Those who do not suffer?                                                               You are right in mentioning those people who seem to enjoy their suffering - Aren't they a fun group to be around.   A Buddhist teacher whom I find a very wise man said "If its bad kill it. If it won't die make it good" - A good teacher usually says things in such a way that you are obliged to examine it for its meaning. For me that means that if something you are confronting is difficult for you to deal with change whatever it is that you have to change, seek the help of whoever you need to seek, to solve that difficulty. In other words take responsibility and seek an end to it - If there is no way of resolving the difficulty then learn to live effectively with it without complaint. Make it good.                                                                                For example. I live with chronic pain and having researched the issue of using prescription pain killers and consulting with people at a pain clinic at a major hospital decided that they were not the solution. So I was left with no pain medication (although my doctor has offered it to me) or an operation with all sorts of risks. In other words I could not "kill" it so I had to make it "good".                                                                                                            Its amazing what we are able to live with without thinking of it in terms of 'suffering'. How we think about the situations that we all confront in life is perhaps more important than the situations themselves. I experience depression and can't think of any particular reason why I shouldn't. Others do as well. I have a terminal illness, but guess what, there are others that are in the same situation. I could add other things just as someone else writing this post could about there own particular situation but that is just life. If you examine it it will teach you how to live, how to deal with adversity and how to die, but above all how to laugh.                                                          Philip.

Mangof
Community Member

Hi everyone wow I've been away overseas and am catching up with all the posts it looks like a few very in depth conversations have been happening that's great to see. 

Thanks for the chance to read some interesting points of view from beliefs to quotes to possible scams it all happens here! 

I just wanted to say to Philip I really enjoyed your last comment I've been struggling with the whole what or how do I deal with some pretty full on situations in our family life and have been feeling overwhelmed and seeing just a short quote of "if its bad kill it if it won't die make good of it " perfect for me today thanks sometimes it's the little gems that make a difference in our perspective of situations.

have a great day everyone

stay happy 🙂

Hi Lauren, 

I'm fairly new to beyond blue and I always like to make new friends. 

Skye

BKYTH
Community Member
Overseas. I don't know what shade of green I just turned because the only land masses I have traveled between have the different ends of the same bridge attached to them.                                                                                                I think it is our perspectives that we need to work on. Distinguishing the difference between what you can change and what you can't is vital. I examine everything that I read or hear to see if it has substance or not. However distinguished the author of a statement might be it must be examined. There is much that is said that doesn't bear such scrutiny - Consider this often used expression "Everything happens for a reason" Does it? How could you ever prove that that is true?                           If that statement was to be challenged how could you defend it if is was you who uttered it? It may be true but its not obviously so. It is an assertion of fact being presented as though it were a 'truth' or insight into the nature of reality but is it?  It is actually a belief and people are certainly entitled to hold such a belief and I would never challenge someone who said it - For me I would rather possess a little knowledge than have a large storehouse of beliefs because I value the former more than the latter.                                                                                               Which country did you go to? The only chance I have of going overseas is if someone hijacks the manly ferry while I happen to be aboard and directs the captain to sail to New Zealand.                                                                   Philip.

Mangof
Community Member

Hi Phillip,

thanks for the reply, goodness me the thought of going to NZ was somewhat overwhelming months of preparations for emotional turmoil , anxiety medication just to get on board the plane, and during our stay to help with dealing with people and driving seems unworthy of turning green (I'm smiling now as I think of it!)  all n all I managed to survive and now on the other side of it I'm confident that breathing techniques sure help ALOT.

Now back to my safe zone, family,animals,and garden so much to be grateful for simplicity in its finest.

stay happy 🙂

mangof

BKYTH
Community Member
The last time I was on a plane was when I went to Bourke. It was a small aircraft and every time we hit a thermal the plane would suddenly drop and I thought I was living my final moments. My hands had to be prised from the armrests before I could leave the plane on arrival.                                                                                                                  On the trip back I prayed to every god I could think of starting with the pagan ones and working my way to the present for a safe trip. As you can no doubt surmise from the fact that I'm writing this and other posts that I survived. I'm not sure whether to thank Mithra; Krishna;Vishnu or Kwanyin or one of the other gods I appealed to in my desperation for the successful outcome - Next time I think I'll walk. As someone once said. "Everywhere is within walking distance if you've got the time"                                                                                                                                                                                      Nothing like the green, green grass of home just ask Tom Jones.    Philip.

BKYTH
Community Member
G'day. Join in the chinwag if you wish. A new voice is always welcome. Philip.

Hi Bluey Moon ,

welcome to our space this group is great lots of topics, advice and stories feel free to jump in at anytime what things are you interested in? Do you have any animals? Favorite music or Hobbies we all would love to hear about them 🙂

stay happy

mangof

Mangof
Community Member

Morning Phillip,

what an experience I had one similar when I was much younger backpacking and decided to do a plane ride around some mountain alps NEVER AGAIN! It was so terrifying I laugh now as I had a tall male gentle German tourist sitting behind me who's screams were louder than any of the females as the pilot seemed to skim across the face of the mountains and joy ride the air pockets, from behind me I got arms, legs,screaming,laughing the works lol he did apologise once we landed and like you offered to prise my fingers from the arm seat.

would  i do it again NOT LIKELY!

stay happy

mangof

BKYTH
Community Member
Surviving what you have determined to be your end is a surprise that is not altogether unpleasant. You don't tend to read of accounts of aircraft crashing where most people survived. Aircraft travel is wonderful, all the more so, if I'm not aboard.                                                                                                                                                                               I choose to be brave on my own terms which is an option not usually available to me as is the case for all of us. If I choose to go to Bourke again which I never will ( It was 100 degrees in the middle of the night) I,ll walk and will hopefully have learned from past experience to change direction by the third or fourth step and reconsider the enterprise.                                                                                                                                                                                   I have, or am in the process of, developed a plan to hijack the manly ferry myself to see something of the world where I won't be just treading once again in my own footprints.                                  Philip.