FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

i don't know what's wrong with me

hausofgrande
Community Member

I'm in Year 12, and while I get that everyone feels stressed at this stage of their life and that my feelings probably aren't as bad as others', I still don't know what to do. I used to be a straight A student, now I'm barely scraping by with low Cs. I'm afraid I won't get into my dream uni. Frankly, at this point, I'm pretty sure I won't. All the work is piling up and no matter what I do, I can't seem to get anything done in time, or just done at all.

I think I have anxiety. Or something else. I don't know. I may never know, to be honest. My parents don't believe in mental illness, and I don't know what to say to my friends about it. They've always called me the 'funny' friend. Every time one of them is feeling down, it's often my job to cheer them up. How will they react? Will they even believe me in the first place? I tentatively brought up the subject once a few weeks ago to a very close friend, and they just laughed in my face. Apparently, I'm "the most carefree person" that they "know". Sometimes, I wonder if that's the only reason they keep me around. To have someone to lighten the mood. I don't often get invited to their outings outside school, and one of the girls and I often butt heads a lot. She gets mad whenever I ask a question more than once and screams at me "Shut the f*ck up! God, you're so f*cking annoying." The others say that she doesn't mean it, and I believe that, but it's been happening more often than not lately. My parents are incredibly strict, and I am the only one in my friend group with a curfew. They hate it when I say what time I've got to be home, saying it's a "buzzkill". I know for a fact that this contributes to them never inviting me out. But I can't control what my parents do.

There's also the matter of coming out. I've known that I'm a lesbian for about five years now. At this time, from what I've seen, most people should have already come out to their loved ones. But I'm just so scared. Completely terrified, actually. One of my older cousins came out to the family around the same time I figured out my own sexuality, and my aunt almost threw him out of their house. My parents' reaction was impossible to decipher. I don't know what I'll do if the same thing happens to me.

2 Replies 2

Katyonthehamsterwheel
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi there

You've posted in the wrong spot but that's ok. You've got a lot going on in your life atm so no wonder you're finding keeping on top of your school work hard! I'm wondering if you've got a trusted adult in your life you could speak to about what's happening for you? Perhaps a school counsellor or teacher? As for coming out, I'm not sure there's a time frame, I guess it's when you feel ready 🙂 I did notice an LGBTQI thread on here though, so if you can find it maybe post in there asking for advice. All the best. Kat

Jojo100
Community Member

Hello Hausofgrande

Welcome to the forums and for reaching out here. Sorry to hear about the struggles you are having. I agree with Kat it would be worth talking to a teacher or school counsellor.

However if you don’t feel comfortable with that you could ring the Kids Helpline on 1800 55 1800. This is a phone counselling service for people up to 25 years and runs 24/7. Another option is to google Headspace which is a mental health service for young people. It is an Australia wide service and I hear it too is very good.

It would be important to find some support for yourself as it is very difficult trying to deal with these issues all by yourself.

I hope this has helped. Remember you are not alone and there is help out there. Take care.

Jojo