FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Home......

Guest_9466
Community Member

Hi Guys

I am back and what a lovely day it was to welcome me home. You don't know how good life is until you witnessed problems other people in other countries faced. I am a migrant by marriage to this beautiful country. Although, if I haven't been married to an Aussie, I would have been able to migrate here on my own because of my profession. It was much in demand then and probably now as well. Stopping over in country of birth, I came to realised why I left it so many years ago, swearing that I would not return except to visit family members. For many years, I kept my promise but as one matures in age as well as in outlook, I became 'soft' and was lulled into thinking hey, perhaps over time, circumstances change, but not so, as I soon came to realise a few weeks ago. However, it wasn't till I was physically there, that it brought to home that as a member of a minority group, which I and others refute, in the sense that the Chinese people think the government downplay the percentage of Chinese population in cob, that we were never accepted on equal terms, not as long as the present political party insisted on remaining in power. Power corrupts and after fifty plus years of independence, this country is still ruled by one party. The opposition is ruthlessly crushed and 'quietly' assassinated. So, there you have it. 

I told my niece about Australian politics and the ousting of Tony Abbott. She said that in her country, if you dare to dsagree, she then used her hand to form the shape of a pistol, 'bang'. End of story. Her hubby is a taxi driver. He chooses to be self employed because he couldn't stand offce politics. However, there is no holiday and sick pay. He recently injured his foot and was not able to work for a week. Pressure soon mounted as bills kept coming in and there s no Centrelink to the rescue. Luckily, for them, I was able to lend a helping hand by giving them some money to settle their bills. It just made me aware how fortunate I am, firstly, to be able to help them and secondly, to call Astralua home. Although, it does make me sad as well as guilty, to think that when depression visited, I found it hard to count myself fortunate. How to share with these people, including  niece and her hubby, that depression does not respect 'fortunate' people. It strikes rich and poor alike except, it is better to be 'rich' and depressed.

Not sure where I am going with this except to say that for today, I am grateful to call Australia home. 🙂

2 Replies 2

Gruffudd
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi there,

I'm glad you call Australia home too, I think us lucky.

When I was young, the first time we went back to where the family is from, I remember how worried and sad my grandmother was on our departure. She was worried we would like it there and not understand why she left for Australia with us all. I think it was a bittersweet thing because there I had that sense of the family history intertwined with the place. At the school I was from there without ever having been there before, even the other kids felt that. But there was also the reasons why the family left for Australia, the poverty, not having a future, the sadness of losing so many of our young men to the mines and the army, the lack of hope.

Arriving back at Tullamarine brought tears when the doors of the plane opened and there was that rush of eucalyptus. I was home, and it meant something so much more knowing what the old home is like.

My grandmother was there waiting and we all held her so tight never wanting to let go.

Rob.

Petra
Community Member

Thank you Morning Glory and Gruffudd,

I enjoyed reading your stories. I was born in Australia so unaware of the feelings or experiences one goes through on leaving their birthplace to live out life elsewhere. I believe you and others when I'm told Australia is a great place. I've had family who arrived here as displaced persons after WWII. I can't imagine it, just listen and learn something from their journey.

When I'm overseas and I start looking for koalas in the trees, it's a sign I'm starting to miss my homeland of Oz. (humble face here).

Ta.

Pet 😊