FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Having own space

car10001
Community Member

Hi everyone

Was just wondering how you could get your own space without moving to own place before being financially ready.

At moment am staying in cabins and apartments once in while when you just want couple nights now and then but looking for a interm solution as a backup even though will still stay in cabins.

If you don't yet have a c/van to have options of a cheaper powered site what else would be a option that's as comfortable as a van and cabin that is as easy to setup and pack up.

What could you do to afford a cabin more often or do it longer every time.

sister is staying at parents house for a month and am realising how much am wanting own space.

Not in a hurry to move out permanently just looking for interm solution.

Some times it's hard but generally going ok just need someone to talk to and hoping to reach out on here.

Thanks 

4 Replies 4

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

hello.

I don't have any answers to the questions you raised regarding accommodation, but I can listen to you here.

I can also see from your post much you you want somewhere to go. I guess you don't want to share a place with other people?

not in any hurry to shift out permanent just thinking of a interm solution for now to get out of trouble for as long as it takes and if it takes 10 years then thats what it takes

Hi Car1001

I’m wondering if you’d be interested in house sitting?
There is a national house sitters organisation currently offering 348 opportunities for people to shift into someone else’s home to look after it while the occupants are away. You don’t get paid but you get a place to stay free of charge. I’m not sure I can name the organisation and community members aren’t allowed to provide links, but if you do a Google search you will likely find it.

I believe there are also similar state-based organisations you could check out.

I’m also wondering if you have any friends or neighbours you could talk to. I’d just be really honest about your needs and why you’re in need. From my personal experience, with this exact scenario in relation to someone I care for with a mental health condition, people can respond well and being incredibly helpful. Also the cost of living is really high and if you offered a reasonable fee (but less than commercial rates) for ad hoc short term stays you may just create a win win outcome.

Kind thoughts to you

Beeee
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello car10001,

We're always here to listen on the forums, please reach out whenever you need to you.

I can understand the struggle of wanting your own space, but not being able to afford it. I'm someone who really craves my own space and the peace that comes with it. As I can't afford to move out yet either, I have put a lot of effort into making my room a comfortable space. Small things like cushions, a rug and sunset lamp have helped me make my room feel like my own. When I just need to get away, I will spend the day out with friends or even just taking myself out to the park or for lunch.

Having a car can also give you a sense of freedom, not sure if this is something you can afford at the moment, but it would definitely be cheaper than an apartment. When it come to staying in hotels/airbnbs more often, look for deals or special offers that could you help reduce the cost. 

Hope this helps,

Beeee