FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Golly Gee - this time of year is so awkward

MaddieT
Community Member

OK - that's my polite version!

Really struggling. Am getting Counselling and she is great, I also have a peer support worker who is amazing.

I had so much hopes for this Xmas. I had invited my kids and spent all my dole money on a big feed. For the first time since I have been back in SA I invited people over, it was the first time I had cooked (something I used to love to do), the first time I showered and dressed up. 

The ones who showed turned up two hours late, then left me with a ten year old (whose mother didn't come because she has two younger ones and was stressed out - I get that). My kids were here for just under an hour. Much wasted food and I had to entertain a ten year old for two hours until she was picked up.

Today is New Years' Eve. I got an email from Seek about a job. I rang and the woman actually called me back on her way home from work! Sorry to all the vegetarians and vegans, but this was a job in a butcher shop. This is work I have done before and I absolutely love it. I have an interview on Tuesday - very excited. Wanted to share.....

My Mother's response "Are you sure you are up for this?"

My Father's response "Oh no....Well, you certainly aren't over-selling yourself"

Sorry - just had to vent as I now feel so useless and stupid for thinking this was a good thing. There will never be a good thing.

Thanks for listening

4 Replies 4

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Dear MaddieT,

A very warm and caring welcome to our forums,

I am so sorry that your Christmas didn’t go the way you wanted it to go…but I am pleased that you got to see your children on Christmas Day, even if it was for less then an hour…maybe cooking for your family could reignite your love of cooking again….could it be possible for you to freeze some left overs and have at times your not feeling up to cooking a meal for yourself….

How lucky was the little 10 year old, to have you play and keep her occupied though out Christmas Day, I’m really so sure that you made her day a very special day...well done Dear Maddie..

Congratulations on your upcoming job..fingers crossed that they hire you, especially because it’s something you love doing…Can’t wait to hear if you get the position..

My kindest thoughts sweet Maddie, and I wish you a Happy New Year that’s filled with peace, good health and everything good..

Grandy..

Sadie23
Community Member

Hi Maddie.  Sorry your Christmas Day didn't work out as you had hoped but well done for cooking, showering and dressing up and inviting people over.  Good luck with the interview. 

MaddieT
Community Member

Thank you so much - I really needed some kindness and grounding. 

I had a wonderful time with my 10 year old foster grand-daughter. It felt good to make her smile.

Sometimes I just need to have some help in working out whether I am being too sensitive or if the things that hurt are real.

Thanks for reminding me about the fun I did have with my foster grand daughter - she is great!

MaddieT
Community Member

Thank you! I realise my reply has taken a long time but it was so nice to read this after not being connected for a while. Thanks again. PS - didn't get the job but that's ok