FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Favourite Bands/Singers

scorch
Community Member

Hi guys,

I was inspired by Neil's thread about favourite movies.  I want to know - what are some of your favourite bands/musicians?

Do you have an album that you listen to over and over?  Is there a songwriter who you connect with, that seem like they draw their lyrics directly from your soul?  What is your favourite style of music?  Who did you grow up listening to?

Are you a musician yourself?

And importantly, I'm always looking to discover another band or genre so if you have any suggestions of a great song let me know so that I can look it up 🙂

As for me, I don't really like most of the stuff that gets played on the radio.  The lyrics seem meaningless to me, and the songs are mostly produced just to make money - not to connect with an audience or tell a story.  I prefer songs and artists that are sincere and genuine, that confront important and real life topics or are emotionally touching.  that doesn't mean I live for slow ballads... no, I listen to all kinds of music, fast paced - slow and rhythmic, rap, hip hop, jazz, folk, rock, alternative, metal.... I love it so long as it has some depth.

I'm currently hooked on a band called Twenty One Pilots.  I love em!  Also, I recently discovered a genre called Nerdcore which is rapping about nerdy stuff like computer games and everyday events etc... I love rap but I don't love a lot of the language or topics that are usually rapped about, so chilling out to some lighthearted Nerdcore works for me 🙂  

260 Replies 260

AngelBear
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
My favourites are Melanie Martinez Billie Eilish, Imagine Dragons and Alec Benjamin but mainly Melanie, I wish I could go to one of her concerts but I never have the money to travel to them, sadly. I watch them on youtube though, but I prefer to see them live. as for Billie Eilish, I listen to her music if I want something calm. Imagine and Alec are really good to

Femto
Community Member
Lucy Rose, Gorillaz, Of Monsters and Men and The Paper Kites. I like a lot of chill and post rock too!

Bulus_Shabbaz
Community Member

A condensed list of my favourite bands:

Queen, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Motorhead, Van Halen, Accept, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Dio, Rainbow, Pink Floyd, RUSH, King Crimson, Genesis, Jethro Tull, Gojira, Meshuggah, Periphery, Dream Theater, Opeth, Children of Bodom, Soilwork,

Lucy_123456
Community Member

Ooh, good question scorch.

I’m a big music fan and loved reading through everyone’s responses - I was reminded of some amazing bands that I absolutely adore!

I can’t bring myself to pick a favourite band (I’d be deciding for hours and never be able to make a decision), but currently I’ve been listening to a lot of Radiohead. Some of my particular favourites are ‘Karma Police’ and ‘Paranoid Android’ - Ok Computer is just a brilliant album, I highly recommend!

Clade
Community Member

Oasis, The la's, Smashing Pumpkins..Those are the ones i was listening to recently..Can't think of any singers i was listening to recently..

TheBigBlue
Community Member

You know what I love, when you haven’t listened to a band in ages (I’m talking about a decade here) & then it’s like you rediscover them all over again.

This week its the Yeah, Yeah, Yeah’s.

But all time favourite is Rammstein

Hi TheBigBlue... I was watching someone reacting to a song by Rammstein quite recently, and I will be honest there were not in my top 10 (perhaps because I could not understand what was said and perhaps too lazy to find english translations!) but gained a new appreciation after the reaction - the person who reacted is an opera singer who understand german and spoke about what they were saying and describing the poetic nature of it. And when you combine that with sound, there were really good.

But some of their stuff is a bit out there for me...

...which might be odd considering my love of doom, and various forms of extreme metal.

Band of the moment for me is Altars of Grief. Unfortunately since 2019 they have been on a hiatus for indefinite period of time.

Oh smallwolf,

Speaking of your opera singer friend made me think of gothic metal. That stuff takes my breathe away

I rarely meet people who even know the Tea Party, let alone like them!

Splendour Solis has got to be one of my all time favourite albums, takes me back to my high school days.

topsy_
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Used to love Celtic Women

Now it’s Celtic Thunder (I was devastated to find George died)

Favourite all-time singers: Neil Diamond, John Denver, Pavarotti