FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

End of 2021, Holiday, Humbug, or what?

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello everyone, 😺

It's getting close to 'that time of year', & I'm seeing some mention of it here on BB, so I thought, wonder what people are doing this year? Will this year be the same as always for you, or what? Do you plan anything? Go anywhere? Do you want a grand Xmas / New Year? Or something simple &, whether by yourself, or with others? Will you be around BB over the 'silly season', as much, less or more?

I would like to be hanging around here, greeting people who may be lonely, or feeling the stress of societal expectations around these days, such as we see & hear in the ads, movies, & how people always ask 'what are you doing for xmas?', 'spending time with family?' & astonishment if you are not.

I'm not sure what I'm doing this year, I do like to buy myself something, because I don't expect anyone else will. I get some food I usually don't have (not xmas food), & to make my own special meal. I Know I am mostly doing this because of the societal expectations that 'everyone' does it, & people seem honestly puzzled if I'm not doing anything, because I don't practice any religion, don't have a lot of money to buy gifts, & don't like the commercial crap, or go on holidays, & such, don't even like noisy parties..

maybe I'll be invited to one Xmas lunch, like last year, (while COVID-19 was a little quiet & we could), but it seems I won't have other places to go & catch up with some people I know, & think of as friends, well, sort of...not as much as I thought, I guess.so I can say I do something.

I do struggle with people I would usually see being away for up to a month, possibly more, & because I don't have a wide circle of friends or family I miss the presence of even one.

A couple years ago, I went to a community lunch, hosted by a church, for anyone to come along to, & be with other people. I did enjoy that. But I'm not sure if they will be doing that again, yet.

In any event, I thought, this year, I can hang around here,

Any thoughts? Any ideas? Any plans? Or what?

mmMekitty 😺

30 Replies 30

Maddeline
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi mmMekitty!

Thanks for starting a thread about the end of year! It always is a crazy time and I think that it is a wonderful idea to be on the BB forums to chat to others who may be feeling overwhelmed. It is completely common to be feeling a little isolated this time of year, I am sure we could all agree. Also, with COVID it causes a lot of nerves when seeing people again! I love that you do little fun activities by yourself and I do not find it puzzling at all! No matter what it is that you end up doing (going to a community lunch or celebrating alone), I hope that your end of year will be great! You are a gem for thinking of being on this forum at Christmas!

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello Maddeline,

Good to meet you. Thank you for replying & your kind words.

Turns out this year might be one of my worse years. I will still try to squeeze some fun bits into whatever else is going on.

There is one thing I used to actively do, but find so difficult now, because my eyesight is so poor, casual window shopping, or simply noticing what's around me while I am out at shops, is not possible anymore. I would love other people to do this:

The Crappiest Xmas Crap You Have Seen Awards - Four categories are awarded each year, one for Made for Xmas Decorations*, one for Made for Xmas Gifts*, & one for Made for Xmas Media*. & a new category: Made for Xmas Clothing/Costume*

I just find some of it is so bad it is hilarious, so I'd like to know what is out there.

I will announce winners, (my thread, my right 😸) at the end of the year. Don't know what prizes there will be, (any suggestions?), maybe a virtual Xmas Hamper with some of this Xmas Crap included. That sounds about right.

*Tempting though it may be to nominate imaginary products, Please only nominate actual products you've seen/heard, for real. & to assist me, include detailed descriptions, but I'm not sure we ought to mention brand names or specific shop names within this public forum.

If Sophie-M has anything to add, please do. Your input would be most welcome

mmMekitty 😺

Hi mmMekitty,

What a lovely suggestion, we think this is a great idea. We have received our fair share of terrible Christmas jumpers (all we'll say is this: pom pom baubles), so we can't wait to hear what other community members have to say.

We do request that brand names are left out of this discussion, and we'd also like to remind everyone that links and URLs won't post to the forums. This means that we'll be relying on describing it here which we think will be fantastic and leaves room for lots of laughs!

An imaginary hamper of all the gifts mentioned sounds like a great prize. We can't wait to see this being shared virtually with the winner by announcement on this thread.

Thanks again for sharing this idea, mmMekitty!

Kind regards,

Sophie M

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thank you, Sophie_M, glad you are on board.

I hope you can enjoy moderating the content of this thread as it unwinds.

I forgot about the links & URLs - not being very good at inserting them in the first place.

I also would consider it rather unsporting to have a link to show something I can't see! Therefore, NO points for links or URLs will be awarded anyway.

As for pom-poms, as a kitten, I have played with more than a few. & some were still attached to their jumpers. 😺.

mmMekitty

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear mmMeKitty~

I guess I've probably received the most impractical Xmas gift already. A nationally known Mental Hrealth organisation (no, not BB) is based in my state's capital city. I've a volunteer at the other end of the state.

The donated a gift voucher for a modest meal at an eating establishment, which was generous, if a little short sighted. The problem being the establishment was near the HQ in that city, a place I've never been to, though hand for the staff. It would take a 8 hour round trip to dine down there so I guess I'll just keep it as a reminder even generosity can not work out as expected.

Still, on the bright side thoughts, counted or otherwise, are not fattening:)

Croix

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Frame it?

Or look up the White Pages online & find someone who does live there & post it to them, with 'from Secret Santa. Enjoy'?

Thanks Croix, keep your eyes open, even under water. You never know what you'll see. (more than me, for sure, that's all I can say) 😺

You've still got time for finding those simply awful offerings.

mmMekity

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

😺Hi again,

I still cannot make definite plans for this Summer, Season. (Why now? Oh, well, can't be helped.)

I was just thinking of an awful (in my opinion) Xmas album released by Bob Dylan, called Christmas in the Heart. Released 2009? Someone I knew then told me about it, & he liked it a lot, so I went & downloaded it. His scratchy voice pushing every word out, even through the 'quiet' songs, was so jarring I simply had to laugh, but it soon was something I never want to hear again. 😺

Hope to have others dropping by soon with their Xmas offerings.

Back soon,

mmMekitty

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Was it last year, or the year before, that when I was at a supermarket & I saw a bag of small fresh carrots labelled as "Reindeer Carrots. ??

🍪🎶🤶🥕📦🎍🥛💖🎄🌟🍭🎁🎼🎅🔔🍬🧝❄🍪🎶🤶🥕📦🎍🥛💖🎄🌟🍭🎁🎼🎅🔔🍬🧝

I'm really going to be around - I know for sure, so please, anyone else who likes is welcome to have a little Xmas with me, here.

mmMekitty

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I came across a couple vertically intersecting, cardboard cut-out in the shape of three triangles, vertically overlapping, Smallest on top & largest at the bottom. The structure stood , supporting itself. It was covered in glossy vividly green paper glued over the entire thing. At the apex of the topmost triangle, someone had glued the end of a string of plastic gold coloured beads & had loosely wound it down to a tip of one of the large triangles.

It had a bare & meager look about it, but covered in such a lovely green, I thought it didn't really look so bad as I first thought.

Hope everyone is keeping well.

Check out ABC's Classic Choir with the song by Katie Noonan. I think she has a intriguing sound, & it is a piece intended to bring a lump to your throat, & be reaching for a tissue or two.

mmMekitty

🍪🎶🤶🥕📦🎍🥛💖🎄🌟🍭🎁🎼🎅🔔🍬🍪🎶🤶🥕📦🎍🥛💖🎄🌟🍭🎁🎼🎅🔔🍬