FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Croix Parler

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

I'd like to use this pace for miscellaneous matters that don't fit elsewhere

Thanks

Croix

2,088 Replies 2,088

Doolhof
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Croix,

Just having a quick flick around the forum to see what is happening. Just came upon this thread.

Regarding marking work, one of neighbours was a teacher. She asked me over for a cuppa one night as she needed a break from marking all of the assignments. We had a chat and a laugh and she felt better.

I did offer to help her mark the assignments, after a little hesitation she didn't quite think that was the right thing to do so we had another laugh over that.

At least with multiple choice questions you have some percentage of actually getting the answer correct! Ha. Ha.

Cheers all from Mrs. D.

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Mrs Dools~

Nice idea:) As I mentioned I do not like multiple choice questions, in fact the way they were set up it was not possible to play the percentages as incorrect answers were penalized, so no guessing.

Croix

RunGirl
Community Member

sorry = "Equus". Stupid autocorrect.

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear RunGirl et al.~

If you mean the Peter Shaffer play I guess it contains enough starting points to lead anywhere, dealing perhaps about rationality vs emotion. Actually you will think me silly but I feel sorry for the horses, the characters not nearly to the same extent.

Not realy surprising, have a soft spot, Google:

Llywelyn bach beyondblue forum

To see one of my happy memories about a horse.

Your work sounds as if it could be very interesting. any likeable characters?

Croix

RunGirl
Community Member
I absolutely understand the sympathy for the horses. Me too!!!! My story is written in five voices. It is based around a non-malignant narcissist (who would have guessed - see my other thread - that I started writing it when I was 27). The voices are all in very different writing style and tell totally different stories about events that happen in Grainger's life. These other four are those in his net of control, so to speak. Natalie is very likeable, Jenny is likeable but pitiable, Daniel is loveable in his youthful exuberance and resistance to Grainger. Claudette is horrifyingly damaged.

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear RunGirl et al.~

Um, non-malignant narcissist? I'd have thought that an oxymoron, bit like 'only choice'. Well I guess I'll have to defer to your insight. I'm not going to get the chance but it would have been a very interesting read.

Actually after saying that maybe I would not be able to read it anyway. My illness has left me nowadays with a strong aversion to tragedy and unhappy endings, I probably could not read about Claudette or even Jenny.

Ah well, I'm improving, to start with could not view any cop show at all, now it is only the gritty ones I avoid.

Your being able to write is a great thing, a resource and outlet all in one. After 13 or so years do you think you can get back to it?

Croix

RunGirl
Community Member

Actually yes....I've grown to know the characters so much better in that time....there's always a "Jenny" moment or a "how would Grainger react to this?" incident. I've matured with them. Daniel's ending is delightfully happy. Claudette's is tragic. Jenny's is sad although she won't admit it and Grainger just continues his circles.....having learnt though, that he IS fallible.

There's a lot of info on the net about types of narcissm, if you're interested, just google "non malignant narcissist" or "malignant narcissist" to enter the rabbit hole.

I write a lot of short stories....I always begin each one with a poem. I hope this one doesn't freak you....it's really about gentleness and peace...

CYCLES II

But she became a dancer

And so her old desire

To chase the diamond dragons,

Those creatures made of fire

Was silenced by the rhythm

Of the circles that she turned

And gentle repetition

Vanquished fears

Of being burned

RunGirl
Community Member
having very bad days and trying to hide it from those around my. My partner doesn't deserve this. I work two days a week but other days I can't get up until about 1pm.....literally CAN'T, not just don't want to. then on work days I fall asleep from getting home at 3.30 until about 8. I don't even hear my partner get home. He walks the dog, does housework etc. I feel so useless. Then when I go to bed at around 11 the night terrors begin and I am in a half awake-half sleep nightmare phase until about 6, when I fall into a deep sleep....only problem is I have to get at seven for work. Docs are very hesitant about sleeping tablets but I think this would help me regulate things. I have several times in the past gone over 72 hours without falling asleep....no naughty or even over the counter drugs used!!! Any ideas?

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear RunGirl~

Well I can't say I'm a stranger to most of that. A few scattered thoughts-

I use two types of meds to get to sleep, and that has been worked out over many years, weak ones to enhance relaxation exercises and stronger ones only if that does not work. Now I'm not saying any of that is suitable for you, however it is certainly something to discuss in detail with your doctor. I'm not sure either that taking them on a long-term basis is recommended, so don't think of me as an example.

I've reached that happy stage where I'm not frightened to go to bed, or put it off because I 'knew I was not going to sleep'

In that discussion if you had an accurate sleep-log your doctor would have a non-subjective set of data to work with.

Technique: You would already know about the steps for sleep hygiene - if not sing out, they are pretty standard. If nightmare I get up, even if it was only a dozing one. It breaks the 'mood chain'. Nightmares are another thing to talk to your doctor about. Similarly if sleep does not come I get up - maybe have a warm drink, look outside. Once again breaking a mindset.

Sounds, none from elsewhere to disturb you of course, I'm trying to use an ambient sound (the sea or wind) but am having trouble keeping it to myself away from my partner, I'll get something worked out in time. If not all the time then when recovering from a nightmare - well that's the plan.

Frankly the not getting up until 1, I would not worry overmuch, try defeating that in easy stages. The sleeping from 3.30 to 8 I'd try to avoid - yes easy to say. I'm talking efforts to regulate your internal clock here.

More walking?

Now, what your partner deserves - love, that's it. Hassles come with life, if it was not your problems I'm sure there would be something else. You give what you can - so does he.

Croix

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear RunGirl~

Having got the more important thing out the way I can look at what you said about your writing.

Incidentally if you had posted the sleep problem post in your own thread you might have received better advice from others rather than just my ideas. That being said you are of course welcome to say/ask anything here too, so don't feel I'm trying to get rid of you:)

Having that ability to analyze a situation from the POV of a character is a real bonus. You are going to end up with a very rich manuscript. I'm not sure if 'Alfie' realized he was fallible, maybe just mystified.

If I look away from the last line of Cycles II (a trigger) then the one thing that immediately comes to mind is

... Like a circle in a spiral, like a wheel within a wheel
Never ending or beginning on an ever spinning reel
As the images unwind, like the circles that you find
In the windmills of your mind ...

Can't claim anything except it's a favorite song, Noel Harrison wrote it of course. Better than the film it was in.

Croix