FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Croix Parler

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

I'd like to use this pace for miscellaneous matters that don't fit elsewhere

Thanks

Croix

2,088 Replies 2,088

Moonstruck
Community Member

Thanks. No the screen version would be a waste!

You can take my word for it, I speak on good authority here....that the stage is the only place for that one....hilarious. (esp when you're on the other side of the footlights)....ah, Dear old Doctor Footlights. (you've heard of him I expect?) Just what I need at the moment actually.....better than any pill or counselling. don't ask me how it works, it just does!

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Moon et al.~

As far as I know -please correct me if I'm wrong- Dr Footlights is that merciful state of being that takes one from a shivering forgetful tongue-tied jelly and makes one overcome nerves and everything else and give a performance Gielgud would be jealous of.

I'd imagine it applies to bowlers too.

Croix

Moonstruck
Community Member

Well.....almost that Croix... I was using it in its more literal form........like an actual "Doctor" referring to any ailments, physical or otherwise a performer may have unrelated to the show - flu, headache, sprained ankle, and hopefully- depression, grief, sadness, suffering through a break-up....whatever!!!

the person is feeling lousy but Doctor Footlights works his magic and he/she performs brilliantly...despite their ailment. Aren't they lucky? Because I don't think I could bowl with a sore elbow. I don't think there is a Doctor Bowling Green is there?

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Moon et al~

Well I guess your doctor is more versatile than my doctor, I thought it was just the gift of courage unexpected.

Now, to reply to your rather down Billy quote:

O excellent! I love long life better than figs.

Actually I used to really like figs as a lad, they came in little wooden boats with pictures of palm trees and camels on them. If you were lucky a little wooden spear was included to help you eat said figs.

You 'ello 'ello 'ello quote I heard for the 1st time from PC Plod in a Punch & Judy on Hastings beach in the 50's. Most notable for shingle, wind and drizzle. They must have been hardened performers to carry on in that venue.

I was most surprised in your other thread to learn that you felt affinity with the arts and also had to tone yourself down to deal with conservatives, or that you ended up in a field that was not "normal, mediocre, conservative". Actually I'd think any mother would have appreciated a daughter's talent. I'm sure the sight and sound of you bowling would hold all enthralled.

Did you find a movie to watch? Or anyone to drum with?

Croix

Moonstruck
Community Member

Hail Sir Croix

"I pray thee gentle mortal - sing again!" I have never seen a Punch & Judy - I am obviously far too young!

I think my poor mother would have been somewhat "enthralled" to see me turn into a scarecrow (outstanding in my field) although so terrified that people would "look at me" (quelle horreur) and I would fail....(after all, how on earth could one of HER daughters be brilliant at anything (she had a huge inferiority complex) so her staying around would have altered the course of my life I believe.....(for the worse actually) sorry I know it sounds awful, but I never grieved for my mother - I didn't like my mother - she was stifling.

I can always find some movie to watch but too shy to put myself out there and go drumming in public..where people could see me! Bowling however, holds no fear for me - I can hide beneath my uniform so no-one can see me!!

(You are such a funny funny man Croix - chuckle chuckle, fall about)......have a lovely day....luv , Miss Invisible

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Moon et al.~

I am obviously far too young! that's all very well for you to say.

To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable.

Stuck with being old I suppose:)

It doesn't sound awful at all. Some people's legacies are pretty poor. I think I recounted my relationship with my parents, so I can exactly related to your saying the burden lifted and freedom seemed to come when your mother departed, I guess there are a fair few like us.

It's a pity the drummers don't wear a 'uniform', drumming could be quite therapeutic.

Your 'Miss Invisible' reminded me of the Marie Digby song"Miss Always Invisible" which has some rather poignant lyrics, which are probably better than her singing deserves.

You have a pretty good day too

Croix

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Sara et all.~

Thank you for telling me about the Intouchables, I'd never have seen it otherwise.

The first thing to say is I was impressed with the verisimilitude, everything from the tracheotomy scar though to the 'white gloves' and stockings, though I don't think spilling the hot tea would have had as little effect long term. In fact i don't think a mainstream movie could have had much more detail about quads and still attract the general public.

I also saw in the credits 5% of the nett goes to a disabled charity.

As a story it was fine, a romance with an ending full of happy possibilities, just what I like:) Moon if you are listening it's a 'feel good' movie I can recommend. Driss' good humor and sense of fun is infectious.

I also like that real life problems were there -like the nephew and the French version of the goodfellows, and Driss' auntie's job, but understated.

Any more?

Croix

Moonstruck
Community Member

OK I'll have a look for the Intouchables. I thought of a couple of my fave "feel good" movies.....

The Holiday with Kate Winslet, Jude Law......and Love Actually...with Hugh Grant, Colin Firth etc...which is on TV EVERY Christmas Without Fail....sometimes more than once!!!!

Hi Croix and Moon....

I can share a few feel good movies seeing as my family made me sit down and watch a few and remind myself I'm a hopeless romantic who loves fairy tales and happy endings...

Mirror Mirror (I love Julia Roberts in this and it's silly and gorgeous and funny).

The Princess Bride (all time favourite movie ever!)

Beauty and the Beast (loved the new one... the Beast actually gets given a personality for once!)

Pride and Prejudice (Any version but I do quite like the one with Kiera Knightly because of the scene at the end where Mr Darcy is walking with the sun rising behind him.... Never fails to give me goosebumps).

I have more but these just make me feel happy at the moment.

Hello Quercus...I am glad these movies make you feel good. I don't think we have talked much have we?

Hey Croix, if you're reading this and I assume you do check in occasionally....after all it's your thread isn't it?

Remember your spot-on comment recently about wishing that "life would leave me alone for a minute?".....Guess what? On top of my last horrible grief-stricken loss (you know what I am referring to) I was looking forward with some hope of salvation to a nice thing happening for me that could help me heal......and yep you guessed it! Lost it too last night.....gone! ......I am becoming more and more convinced that life is indeed meaningless, pointless, as Shakespeare said "A tale told by an idiot".....nothing to believe in , nothing to strive for, nothing to hope for, nothing to dream of, nothing to work towards, nothing to wish for.

the best I can aim for just now to keep myself breathing is escape...pure escape...into movies...where I can "watch" others without their watching me. Be part of their lives, however imaginary for a couple of hours, where they don't talk to me, don't attack me, don't rip things away from me....