FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Croix Parler

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

I'd like to use this pace for miscellaneous matters that don't fit elsewhere

Thanks

Croix

2,088 Replies 2,088

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Thank you Dottie - loved it!!

Reminds me of Stéphane Grappelli & PDQ Bach at their best (with a snatch of presto from Dueling Banjos thrown in)

Croix

Moonstruck
Community Member
Oh Croix....of course I find release into another world - guess that's why I do it. The day inevitably comes though when this particular foray into the imagination comes to its end and one is forced to return to "real life"..but for a while there... allowing your creativity to channel through you and take on a life of its own...to fly like an angel where no-one can touch you.....there's nothing to compare!

Guest_322
Community Member

Hi Croix,

I'm glad you enjoyed the mashup 😊 I looked up Grapelli and PDQ Bach.

Wow, Grapelli is an impressive musician! Also, the length of his career was amazing too.

PDQ Bach was certainly very different to anything that I had previously heard. His work is creative and I understand it's meant to be parody. While I can see there's obviously people who appreciate his work, I'm not sure it's my kind of humour. I think that I like Grapelli a little more ha, ha.

Dottie x

Afternoon All,

I don't seem able to contribute to this thread. I can't see I have anything to offer really - or am I mis-reading what you are all looking for here? Is it literature, (do we write some ourselves to share?) or is it music? Or something else altogether?

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Moon~

The first way to contribute to this thread is to enjoy reading it -that's the most important. If you never say anything ever, ok, no hassles.

If you wanted to contribute, which is non-compulsory, just say something about a book/play/movie/concert/cd/Youtube/ painting/cartoon or anything else that (if you will pardon the expression) tickled your fancy. There is a chance someone else will look it up and enjoy it too -I do this all the time.

Croix (who is smiling to himself - as much as a walrus can of course)

Guest_322
Community Member

Greetings Croix + all readers and contributors),

I'm all hopped up on meds for a cold (nothing serious) so have been chilling at home. So I was seeing what was on my bookshelf and found my copy of Dr. Hawa Abdi's memoir (co-written with Sarah J.Robbins). I still haven't read it!

Bit of background on her is she ran a single room clinic and refugee camp (with her 2 daughters) that has provided relief and emergency accommodation to 90 000 displaced Somalis.

I don't know her full story but she is certainly a remarkable person. Basically to do what she has done takes a lot of grit- definitely not for the fainthearted! Respect with a capital "R."

Moon, basically what Croix said 😊

Dottie xxx

Guest_322
Community Member

Oops...I forgot the book title. It's called Keeping Hope Alive.

Dottie xxx

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Dottie et al.~

I'll see if my library has it in, I've not been sleeping that well recently and would like a change of reading.

Incidentally with Pretty Damn Quick Bach there is a lot there not that funny, I do recommend though Eine Kleine Nichtmusik (Mozart / Schickele), extremely clever and accomplished.

Grapelli has a truly amazing range, classical, jazz, even Tea for Two with Menhin (though than one is IMHO only avg). Stephane Grappelli & Yehudi Menuhin - Autumn Leaves is better though a bit too lush for me.

Saw Patriot Day with Mark Wahlberg. Irony, went to calm a trigger and found 2 in the movie - one can't win somedays - sigh. Anyway apart from my shortcomings a very watchable fictionalized account of the Boston bombing. Probably not to your taste though.

My affection

Croix

Guest_322
Community Member

Hi Croix and everyone else,

Insomnia can be very frustrating. Hopefully you find something that helps you sleep better.

The triggers must have been distressing. It's very frustrating when something ends up doing the opposite of what you had intended.

I hope you found ways to calm the flashbacks and any other responses you experienced- it sounds rough. You're right in saying that Patriot Day isn't really my kind of movie. I generally don't like movies that are on the more violent end of the spectrum (I'm assuming that's the case for this movie?), and especially if it's based on real events (I find that too confronting and stressful for me to watch).

The way that Schickele referenced famous pieces at counterpoints with Mozart's Eine Kleine Nichtmusik was ingenious. Very clever!

Tea for Two was pleasant enough. It made think of 2 friends chatting then getting up to dance. I really enjoyed Autumn Leaves! Funnily enough, what you didn't like about it- the lushness- was precisely what I liked about it ha, ha. I personally think Autumn leaves can take one away from the ho hum daily life where, for a brief period, you can imagine you're somewhere else much more beautiful and exciting.

I've been listening to Chopin's Nocturne Op.9 No.1 this morning. It's kind of sad sounding but it helps me relax. Sometimes his nocturnes can also be a bit of a tearjerker if I'm in the right mood. You've possibly heard of them already but I highly recommend Chopin's nocturnes- 21 in total for piano- although they do tend to be rather melancholy.

Dottie x

Wednesday
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hello all,

Croix I found you and Dottie its nice to see you around again. I hope you are both well, I have to say I resort to what ever works to get sleep, pass me a sleeping tablet... Poor Croix those PTSD triggers I'm so sorry, hugs.

Ah the classics I love Chopin and what about the beautiful imagery of Greig's piano concerto's all so very lovely and though I have said this before peaceful unless heard toward Wagner? Though I have said this before I adore Lacme's beautiful flower duet. So sad about Amy Winehouse but I enjoy her music.

Hugs, xx