FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Beyond Blue Home Improvement Thread

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
Hi everyone. I'm Geoff and have been a dedicated Volunteer on the forums for 13 years. I am proud to have stopped some of the stigmas that are associated with mental health as well as doing my best to help others too

Before my health went south I was a builder in all aspects of home construction and renovation. If you don't have a handyman around I hope I can offer you some tips that may be of help. I have had many years of experience in home renovation and will do my best to help you out if you are stuck and need some advice

I hope my experience may be of help to the people on Beyond Blue and make their life a little bit better. Even if you need help with the most basic painting job or putting up a shelf I can help there too with some tips

I will do my best to get back to anyone that has a question when I can as this is social yet important thread

Geoff
1,301 Replies 1,301

Mathy
Community Member

Hi stevexr, and welcome/hello back at you 🙂

Mmmm, it’s the home improvement thread 🙂

Just for fun’s, I drive a Citroen C4 Hatchback, 1.6L Turbo Diesel - has everything, goes like a bat out of hell. However, it’s nowhere near as much fun as my BMW F650 thumper - which I sadly decided was not totally safe as an all day commute in all weather conditions 🙂

stevexr
Community Member

hello, yes Mathy this is the home improvement thread, but my thoughts are what gets you home?

allso Geoff asked me to come here to share my experiance and know how with engines. im hopeing to help others fix theyr problems cheaper than taking it to a shop. i mostly deal with power out door equipment ie. mowers, chain saws, blowers ext. it was Blondguy who started the car talk. sorry to Blondguy for dumping you in it. lol. a citron c4 tdi goes like a bat out of hell??? must be an old bat. (giggle) il bet the boomer goes a lot better, my uncle has an r65 bmw. i have an xr400r my pic is my security dog to scare away the theves.lol if my engine talk is not so welcome here i guess il have to start a new thread. though if you have any questions ask and il do my best to explain. stay well..... hello

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

hi Mathy and Steve, I don't mind if mechanical items are spoken about because I'm as hopeless as a rubber spanner, sorry Paul.

I remember I had a small Makita drop saw that I loved, and it worked and worked for me for a long time until I had a boarder who lived with me for a few months, that was only helping him out as he was a friend of my sons, (not anymore) but he wrecked everything he could, although he was quite clever, but my drop saw was wrecked by him, plus copious other items, he lied to me and was a druggy, only which I found out when the house was sold and everything had to be cleared out, that's when I found what he had left behind.
That drop saw was my favourite tool and I couldn't get it fixed. Geoff.

Thanks Stevexr 🙂 for the conversion from metric to BHP...legend. 500nm at the flywheel....

Gees Geoff....a Makita drop saw is some expensive kit...not happy Jan......especially when you trusted him

Even with home improvement I was brought up in imperial and then Boing!....Billy McMahon the PM introduced the metric system...

My brain hurts...Have a good day. Paul

Hey Stevexr

I was the guy that said 'I dont understand whats happening here on this thread' (Example...I am not very handy where home improvements are concerned...at all)

Geoff works mainly in the wee hours after approx 3am. Geoff just posted above saying anything mechanical is okay BUT....I am sorry for talking about my XR8 which was off topic

I just know that Geoff just wants everyone to be happy on his thread...no matter what their specialty is. Im sure that Mathy meant no harm Steve. Mathy would be happy that we have another super handy person here

You have provided happiness and comfort to me and many others Steve.....seriously...and thankyou. I'll have a better look at the posts above.

Please stick around Steve...you are an important part of the forums and this thread too 🙂

My Best to you Stevexr and thanks Geoff for letting me stick my beak in your thread

Paul

Hi all and l'm sorry you felt that way steve, l just figured there was some jokes too.

Yeah stick around mate nice to have you here and l'd bet people could use your help too when it hits the fan with some machine or nother.

All the best , rx.

Thankyou heaps RX for your support for Steve and everyone 🙂

Paul

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
hi Everyone, and thank you for all the help and support not to mention the invaluable expertise you have helped so many with on this thread where Home Improvement matters are concerned.

I'd like to say that we are all on the same page here and any input is highly valued where being handy around the house or garage, ride-ons and mechanical knowledge is welcome.

I've asked Steve to be a regular contributor to this thread.

I hope that everyone understands this. Geoff.

Hi everyone, we've had to do some cleaning up in this thread today.  It appears some offence was taken at what some members thought someone was saying, and it all escalated from there.  We see this occasionally on the forums, and we even started a thread about it which we would encourage you all to read:

Taking things the wrong way (on the forums and in life)

If you're feeling angry about a post, please report it to our moderators. Don't post when angry or upset. 

Please also help us keep the forums tidy by keeping threads on topic.  This is a thread for discussing home improvement and members clicking in here will be expecting that to be the topic of conversation.  If you would like to discuss cars, then you are welcome to start a new thread.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

anyone had trouble putting laminex on a bench top

what about trying to put in a new window, getting rid of an old rotten window and enlarging the window size, let's say double the window size with a new aluminum window, sounds difficult but it's not.

what about wanting to remove a wall in the house

how about wanting to build a decking or want to know if the walls have been painted with oil based paint or acrylic paint , important to know before you paint.

how did everyone go changing the security lock, couldn't do it or had problems, please let me know

some old houses have the laundry outside are you worried about whether it's asbestos walling. Geoff.