FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Beyond Blue Home Improvement Thread

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
Hi everyone. I'm Geoff and have been a dedicated Volunteer on the forums for 13 years. I am proud to have stopped some of the stigmas that are associated with mental health as well as doing my best to help others too

Before my health went south I was a builder in all aspects of home construction and renovation. If you don't have a handyman around I hope I can offer you some tips that may be of help. I have had many years of experience in home renovation and will do my best to help you out if you are stuck and need some advice

I hope my experience may be of help to the people on Beyond Blue and make their life a little bit better. Even if you need help with the most basic painting job or putting up a shelf I can help there too with some tips

I will do my best to get back to anyone that has a question when I can as this is social yet important thread

Geoff
1,301 Replies 1,301

hi Randomx, yes turn the blade around so the teeth are facing inwards, it's amazing what it will cut.
Good advise Tony with a welder, the one I bought (?) wouldn't work if the extension cord was too long, only work if the welder was close to the point. Geoff.

stevexr
Community Member

hello, to white knight thank you yes I have been and seen my reply and have replyed to that for thanks.

do you like my security dog for scaring off the thieves ?? he is in the pic (giggle)

sounds like you have had some fun there are not a lot of zephyr engines out there nice one. I have worked on all types of engines from .1cc through to 350ci but mostly power outdoor equipment. I like mechanical because it is easy to figure out (unlike people) I agree with the turn the blade around for laminate also tungsten carbide teeth though most blades are these days. have you tried an inverter welder?? they are like an ark but much smoother and you can stick weld aluminium with them good things IMO. Geoff using an extension cord ups the amp load on the circuit and can drop the voltage you would need a 15 amp lead not 10 amp like standard outlets have, and be sure NOT to have the lead roled up it will create bad resistance and melt the lead to a short out. keep the lead as straight as you can and not overlapped. sounds like your all having fun good show.

stay well..... hello

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
hi Stevexr, yes the lead will get very hot, now my son has the welder and he is exactly the same as how I learned, instinct and very curious.
I remember when I was Power of Attorney for an elderly chap his house had just had termite treatment, but all the floorboards had to be replaced so I tended it out to builders, as I was due for a hip replacement, so my son said he will do it, no experience at all, I used to love doing this myself, a challenge, and he did a 10/10 job and so it continues. Geoff.

Hey Stevexr

Please dont laugh at me but I have absolutely no idea what everyone is talking about 🙂

All I know is that I drive a 2006 Ford BF XR8 that has a 5.4liter DOHC 32 valve V8 that produces 260kw at 5250rpm and has 500NM of torque with a ZF 6-Speed automatic that came from Germany or Europe somewhere....

Excuse I for getting off topic Geoff.....I am learning though..slowly.... Great to have Stevexr here. Paul

Mathy
Community Member

Ummm, Paul, I think you have a Fast Car - that’s like miles off topic, in the next universe, so to speak 🤣 M 🙂

blondguy said:

Hey Stevexr

Please dont laugh at me but I have absolutely no idea what everyone is talking about 🙂

All I know is that I drive a 2006 Ford BF XR8 that has a 5.4liter DOHC 32 valve V8 that produces 260kw at 5250rpm and has 500NM of torque with a ZF 6-Speed automatic that came from Germany or Europe somewhere....

Excuse I for getting off topic Geoff.....I am learning though..slowly.... Great to have Stevexr here. Paul

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hey Mathy

Its great that we can have a laugh on here....I hope you had a good giggle 😉

Great to have you on the forums

Paul

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
all rubber shovels are welcome. lol Geoff.

stevexr
Community Member

Hello, its all good you dont have to understand, it sounds like you know some about your ford. is your 500nm at the flywheel or the rear wheels? your 260 killer wasps = 353.5 hp or there about's. so about half of a v8 super car they run around 600hp. 32 valve just means it has 4 valves per combustion chamber and has a cam shaft for inlet and one for exhaust. shame you have an automatic gear box in it, it would use the power more efficiently with a manual. autos loose around 10% through the torque converter. as long as it makes YOU happy nothing else matters. thanks for sharing..... hello

Mathy
Community Member

Hi SteveXR, I really think you have to translate - that communication read like it came from Mars 😂!

stevexr said:

Hello, its all good you dont have to understand, it sounds like you know some about your ford. is your 500nm at the flywheel or the rear wheels? your 260 killer wasps = 353.5 hp or there about's. so about half of a v8 super car they run around 600hp. 32 valve just means it has 4 valves per combustion chamber and has a cam shaft for inlet and one for exhaust. shame you have an automatic gear box in it, it would use the power more efficiently with a manual. autos loose around 10% through the torque converter. as long as it makes YOU happy nothing else matters. thanks for sharing..... hello

stevexr
Community Member
hello, to Mathy, sorry for that i forget that most people dont understand engines, to me thay are easy because you can see what is going on. let me know what part you had trouble with and il try to explain it better, or was it the whole thing? what you said sounds like social situations to me i am really bad at it, and i find people missunderstand me and or think im a freek. but thats ok im happy being different. its funny and unuseual seeing people in awe when i help them get there car going to get home. stay well.... hello