FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Beyond Blue Home Improvement Thread

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
Hi everyone. I'm Geoff and have been a dedicated Volunteer on the forums for 13 years. I am proud to have stopped some of the stigmas that are associated with mental health as well as doing my best to help others too

Before my health went south I was a builder in all aspects of home construction and renovation. If you don't have a handyman around I hope I can offer you some tips that may be of help. I have had many years of experience in home renovation and will do my best to help you out if you are stuck and need some advice

I hope my experience may be of help to the people on Beyond Blue and make their life a little bit better. Even if you need help with the most basic painting job or putting up a shelf I can help there too with some tips

I will do my best to get back to anyone that has a question when I can as this is social yet important thread

Geoff
1,301 Replies 1,301

Guest_1584
Community Member

Your a painter ballza, great stuff.

have you ever painted an aluminum cladding house.?

Been wondering if l could paint mine , not crazy about white .

Would enamel do it ?

I wish I had your ride on TonyWK...Husqvarna....built like a rock!

Geoff is back early tomorrow morning and that leaves TonyWK ....Ballza....Mathy...and hello SM too 🙂

Ballza....great to have another tradie in here....a qualified painter...Yay!

Mathy asked (and me too!) I’d be interested in the changing a security door lock topic, as I have 2 x old aluminum sliding doors and 1 ordinary screen door, that all have locks that need replacing

I am as handy as a rubber shovel Geoff....When you have the time I would also like to hear about those evil security door locks too

Hope you are doing okay Geoff

My Best as always

Paul

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
hi Ballza, what a lovely welcome to you and hope you can stay on and help with answers as well. Geoff.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
sorry guys I haven't forgotten about you and will answer your post tomorrow Mathy, I'm sorry, but any questions on here really interest me, it gives me a real buzz, I love it and will answer every question, it may not be immediately but certainly will do. Geoff.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
hi Mathy, replacing locks on security doors, really it's not that hard if you know.
First of open door, then put the key into the lock and then turn the key to lock the door, on a single door the latch will extend out, as it does when you turn the key to lock the door when going out.
There is a screw parallel to the lock on the side of the door, where you will see a few screws, but only unscrew the screw parallel, then the lock will slide out, go and buy another lock, push it in and put the screw back in, new door lock.
If however you have lost your keys, then open door, take off the handles and put aside, now this next thing is tricky, put a screwdriver into where the lock is within the door, fiddle around somehow you will be able to lock the lock.
Remember there are two sides within the door lock, one side nothing will happen then try the other side, this may help you further 'how to take out a security door look if I've lost my keys'.
Same with a sliding door turn key to lock it, when the door is open, then unscrew the screw parallel to lock out then slide lock out.
Any problems let me know or if I haven't explained it clear enough. Geoff.

Guest_1584
Community Member

Gday one and all.

And paul , the rubber shovel cracks me up every time l read it mate, it's a classic, gotta try and remember that one.

Anyway Geoff , it's fantastic that you enjoy the thread.

My ex father in law was a retired builder andl always thought it was such an incredible shame that all his years and knowledge weren't being shared anymore

And funny ya know , so did he . So he started up a handyman business in hos area at 70 , he loves it and customers rave about him. And l'd know why to because he helped us on our house a few times.

Great idea mate and thanks again.

Mathy
Community Member
Thanks Geoff, will have a look see. My problem is that the sliding door locks are 40 years old and I live on a saltwater lake, so my keys don’t work due to the corrosion. I might proceed along the line os “I’ve lost my key” and see what happens. Won’t be ably to get to it until Fri/Sat, so don’t expect a response before then, thanks, cheers M 🙂

Mathy
Community Member

Hi Geoff, regarding the hole in a plasterboard wall, I just wanted to mention something for those who feel they’re as useful as a rubber shovel, or who maybe live in a rental and don’t want to invest in lots of stuff 😆 Not wanting to take away from your explanation at all.

There’s a kit made by Poly, which contains everything you need to fix a “door handle” size hole in a gyprock wall. It costs less than $15, and has the mesh to cover the hole, filler, spreader, sandpaper and instructions. All you need after that is a little undercoat (you can buy 100ml for about $7) and a cheap sample pot for the topcoat. And the repair is done. Because it’s a “Poly” product, you can only buy it in a Big Green Tin Shed in the paint department, same story for the 100ml of undercoat (that’s British Paint 4 in 1).

I mention this because a lot of people live in rentals and accidents can happen - this is a cheap fix, with all the necessary stuff and instructions. Also, possibly many people on BB are low income, therefore it’s an affordable fix. Although I work in a Big Green Tin Shed, I’m not fussed about being a fan girl about what we sell versus what anyone else sells, It’s just that financially, this little kit is good value for money, and I get lots of student customers who’ve “managed” to put a door handle through a wall, or a fist or whatever, cheers M 🙂

Hey RX, Mathy and Ballza....

Great to have the advice above....I am learning....the best I can...v e r y slowly..

I have been told that I am as 'Handy as a Rubber Shovel' for a long time 🙂

Thankyou RX and Mathy lmao...

As Forrest Gump said...."Im pretty tired............might go home now"

Always good to have a laugh....My Best...Paul

hi Randomx, and elderly handyman like your ex-father in law, I love it, all those cookies and cups of tea, he must be something quite special. Geoff.