FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Beyond Blue Home Improvement Thread

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
Hi everyone. I'm Geoff and have been a dedicated Volunteer on the forums for 13 years. I am proud to have stopped some of the stigmas that are associated with mental health as well as doing my best to help others too

Before my health went south I was a builder in all aspects of home construction and renovation. If you don't have a handyman around I hope I can offer you some tips that may be of help. I have had many years of experience in home renovation and will do my best to help you out if you are stuck and need some advice

I hope my experience may be of help to the people on Beyond Blue and make their life a little bit better. Even if you need help with the most basic painting job or putting up a shelf I can help there too with some tips

I will do my best to get back to anyone that has a question when I can as this is social yet important thread

Geoff
1,301 Replies 1,301

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
hi All, can't remember if this has been discussed, but here goes, anybody need to fill a hole in the plaster that has gone all the way through or can't change the security door lock which can be tricky getting the old lock out, or have stairs that continually squeak everytime you go up and back down them. Geoff.

Mathy
Community Member

Hi Geoff 🙂

Pretty sure that none of those issues have been discussed, they’re all a little tricky, yes? Cheers M 🙂

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
hi Mathy, is there in particular then please let me know. Geoff.

Guest_1584
Community Member

Well, l do have one little bit of good news.

The rover , he still lives ,l'm so stoked.

last week l had to push him up out of the ditch around the corner, again. and then it wouldn't drive forward only reverse makin all sorts of nasty noises and l'm almost ready to flog it off. Done that much to it the last few mths, more work than a damn car when they start playin up aren't they. even took it to a guy , it was running when l picked it up , just , but he didn't fix all this other stuff. sick of it l've been doing it myself here and there.

An easy fix for once this time, turned out the drive chain was too loose , tightened that and even treated it to some oil , now driving again and smoootthhh as silk.

Me vedy happy.Quietly hoping l get at least one mow out of it this time before something else goes wrong.

hi Randomx, fingers crossed hey, I remember my first ride on had a forward and backwards pedal had a drive shaft only a few inches long, but it was thick, but it kept on breaking under warranty, so back it went to the store who couldn't work out why it happened, it broke 3 times and it was a great mower, disappointing. Geoff.

Last year I got a really old (well looked after) ride on mower. I was out walking the dog when someone put it out next to the road for a kerbside clean up. I asked the man what was wrong with it and he said the chain kept falling off and it was too old to worry about putting in to get fixed. I called a friend to come pick it up and my intention was to remove the blades and any dangerous parts, then I was going to paint it in bright vibrant colours and mount it next to the sandpit for my grandchildren to play on. (Anyone remember years ago when playgrounds used to have tractors for kids to climb on and play on?)

Anyway, my friend (a retired mechanic) had a quick look, disappeared for about 20 minutes, came back, pulled the running gear etc off put in a small clip/spring (cost $42) then put it back together and mowed my yard. It hasn't missed a beat since. It's quite old but it's been well looked after. I love it!!

We have a Husqvarna ride on purchased new 7 years ago. Goes great. My wife mows our 1.2 acres with it.

Good induranve is oil change every winter, grease and blade sharpen.

Tony WK

Mathy
Community Member

Hi Geoff 🙂

I’d be interested in the changing a security door lock topic, as I have 2 x old aluminium sliding doors and 1 ordinary screen door, that all have locks that need replacing. We do sell these parts at work, but I have little knowledge about how to go about sorting this, so any gems you’d like to pass on would be gratefully received 😊

Cheers M 🙂

Ballza
Community Member

Good on you Geoff....

We have got to keep ourselves busy!!!

I too am a tradesman (painter)...

Have always enjoyed my work and the satisfaction at the end of a job...

Hope your well...

Haha that's great about your mower sad mushy, nice score.

don't worry mine was old when l got him , had a new motor though, and've had it 10 yrs.

It's been and absolute ripper up until just this last 12mths , They aren't serious things and it's motor and most it's gear is still great. it's just been smaller things but it doesn't take much to stop them once they get grumpy.

l'm very attached to it though so l'm persisting with this bad run. pretty sure he'll be good for another 10 yrs once l get it happy again.