FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Art in the time of THE VIRUS

Somewhere
Community Member
I live art, I miss art, I miss the NGV, regional galleries, galleries generally. I do my own art. Now .... I realise just how BIG a place in my life just going to galleries was/is. I miss my local life drawing group. I am pretty isolated normally and now, well, it could be worse I guess. I'm trying to get a video conferencing group going with other locals who went to life drawing. Zoom wouldn't let me share screens with a free membership. Webex looks like it should. So I'm trying .... to reach out. I .... am .... lonely. So ... how about any other art virus victims out there joining me in a conversation about .... let's see .... WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE THING ABOUT OUR INCREDIBLE NGV?
5 Replies 5

Somewhere
Community Member
I'm replying to myself! Ha! My favourite thing about OUR INCREDIBLE NGVright now is the totally outstanding stuff they have put together for US in this Art in the Time of The Virus. It is saving me.

I can think of lots of things that I and Somewhere find interesting and sustaining, just. All on the NGV too. The next thing that I love is remembering my favourite exhibitions, that is really a great thing to think about. One came to mind this morning. A Fred Williams and Rembrandt etchings show, fairly long time ago now, could be more than 20 years ago, would have been before Fed Square and the Ian Potter opened, and that was 2002. Anyway it was a fantastic show with a selection of theRembrandt etchings from the permanent collection and a heap of Fred's. Fred went and closely studied Rembrandt's etchings and did a number of his own versions of Rembrandt's. There great. There were also quite a few others of Fred's, like the performers that he did in England, I think. Yes I really enjoyed that show. I went back a few times to see it and an old mate from art school went and saw it on my recommendation. She is a printmakeand a painter, and a very good one too. Ok, that's it for today. The sun is shining and I think I'll head out to do some drawing.

Hi Somewhere,

I hope you don't mind me joining the chat! I just saw your post and I'm sorry that you haven't had any replies.

Your passion for art shines through here and I can see how much you miss it and how important it is to you.

I have been to the NGV but quite a while ago so not sure I have a favourite thing at the moment. We don't really have a lot of art exhibitions in SA in the same way that Melbourne does- every time I go to Melbourne there always seems to be something creative happening!

What are the ways you've adapted to not being able to go out? From memory I think you can share screens on Skype for free, so this might be worth looking into.

You can also look into more art online - COVID-19 has encouraged a lot of places to go virtual, and you can even access a few in 360.

Hopefully you are enjoying drawing and being inspired by what you can- art is all around you even when you can't go outside.

rt

Well, then I'll try to help you. I had such a thing when the covid hit, everyone sat down at home, it was impossible to go anywhere. And I am a fan of exhibitions, in general, everything related to creativity. As a result, in order not to fall into depression at all, I began to buy paintings, draw by numbers, then I took up drawing myself, visited online exhibitions(this is also possible!!)

In Qld I would occasionally go to the gallery with my parents. I prefer the realism in the historic paintings.

There is also a section for what I will call abstract art ... This is something I will never understand. Yet will be able to talk about it for the same reason