FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

anything motorcycle related

dueb
Community Member

hi, thought i would start a thread on motorcycles.

any type of motorcycle from minibikes, scooters ,commuters and super-sport too touring motorcycles.............cruisers.

any type of sport regarding motorcycles including the ones you participate in personally on track or just riding for fun like weekend rides and group rides,big social rides like the black dog ride or other events,and of course tv watched events like the moto gp and others.

and most importantly any one who has always dreamed of riding but for some reason never has,or who owns a bike but for some reason can't ride at the moment or like me,i thought i couldn't ride but i can.

older motorcycles like Triumphs suicidal gear stick , BSA Norton ecc..whether you still got one or use to ride one.

tony

36 Replies 36

james1
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hey tony,

I have just started riding for about 4 months, but i've ridden scooters before. I now have a kawasaki ninja 250 which I want to keep even after I get my full licence. It gets me around on city roads easily, on highways easily, and I dont' need to beat all the other bikes at the lights, just the cars - which I do.

Possibly one day I might get a more comfortable touring bike, but I'm loving the corners on the ninja. One day I'd like to do track rides, but not now. And I think I'll always just be a solo rider unless any friends happen to be riders too. Just not really big on social things.

Watching...I'm more of an F1 than moto gp watcher 🙂 But that's just because my friends watch f1

gld
Community Member

Hi,

Love the turns through the mountains on a winter's day in queensland in the hinterland of the gold coast and sunshine coast. Not one for big speed but love to push the bike into those corners and pump up the speed out of them.

Sold my 600 cb hornet [sky] about twelve months ago and miss it so much. Yes a little weird i named my bike as she was a great companion. She was a co bolt blue with a bikini fairing and a little attitude.

Yes large groups can be a little overwhelming to ride with and on other occasions fun as you can always find someone to talk to. Love to ride by myself and get a kick out of sharing the experience with others. Joined a club but got a bigger kick out of riding with people who i met at work.

Have put riding the great ocean road on my bucket list.

Happy wheeling,

Gen

dueb
Community Member

hi james1 i still got my commuter,its a 2006 honda cbf 250 had it since 2007,for the twisty hills weekend ride i recently got a honda cbr600f2.started riding again the end of last years after 6 years of not riding.

hi gld, i have given names to my cars iv had,the car im driving now is called daisy.can't say her what i call my bikes because i don't give them nice names.from what i'v understood you are with out a bike atm?

forgot to mention,bobbers and cafe racers or projects.

gld
Community Member

Hi Tony,

I am without a bike at present.

Might make it a goal in the near future as i feel i may need to set some others beforehand. Everytime i drive a nice road in may car i yearn to ride on two wheels, that feeling you get when you move with the road.

What state are you in and what sort of rides do you enjoy. [ Bush, Mountains, Beach etc ] Not a fan for riding in the city although i did to and from work. Leave a half a car length in qld and they come on over.

Did a couple of courses with morgan and wacker on a track but it was more like defencive riding.

When i was riding i use to stop at this cafe called the pitstop and i visited in my car the other day and it has changed greatly. Was a great place to grab a coffee and a munch while looking over a valley.

Have an awesome time on your weekend ride.

Gen

bkyth7
Community Member
I started riding bikes about 40yrs ago and have made the acquaintance of the tarmacs of just about every part of Oz. My first 'Beast' was a Yamaha YB100. At top speed I could overtake most joggers if the headwind wasn't too strong. Over the years I've had many bikes both road and trail. All "jap crap" as those, who have a secret understanding of the nature of these machines, like to call them - "Don't park it near the Harleys" they mutter as they merge into the collective beard with tats that signifies their authority. Over time they got bigger and the joggers became a blur and the tarmac hardened. I survived by assuming that I was invisible when I was riding. Often the only food I had had on some days was the bugs I swallowed. You can really save on your food bill during the warmer months. Just swallow and don't chew seemed to work for me. Philip.

gld
Community Member

Hi bkyth7,

You must have had some awesome rides over your progression of riding bikes. I feel having this experience some of us could benefit from it by knowing what sort of places are out there to explore.

As you mentioned we have to start somewhere and i feel my meek bike i had for nearly ten years did not skip a beat. As 600 Hornets' 2001 have a tuned down CBR engine in them, 4 cyl little getup and go, clean lines with lest to damage compared to a sport bike and apart from usuals things/wear and tear it's a thumbs up from me.

Love to hear about some of your adventures throughout the country.

Gen

BOC64
Community Member

Hi dueb

It is great to see a forum like this as I am a newbie to BB as of today. I find the freedom and those other unconscious feelings you get from riding a bike relaxing.

My current machine is an XVS1100 custom as find the crusier style more comfortable. Unfortunately I ride almost 100% on my own and miss that camaraderie. I know of clubs around but I tend to isolate myself from others.

I find it really hard not to do this as I do get lonely but I just can't be stuffed most of the time.

BOC

dueb
Community Member

gen i live in SA,from my suburb its about 5 min. and im in the hills where there are allot of twisty roads,the weekend ride starts at 8am i leave at 7:30 to get to the gathering point,along the ride allot of corners allot of fresh air and sometimes the smell of road kill,i use my 250 as a shopping trolley,through the traffic.

bkyth7 me too love to here your adventures.

welcome BOC,one morning last winter it was just me on my cbr and a friend of mine on kwaki crusier,there was a section of the ride where there was a strong wind,we took of at the intersection and i got blown on the other side of the road, my friend kept on going at speed limit wich was 100kph,i was going at 40kph and had to give way to the cars,allong the way there was less wind so i speed ed up a bit,he was waiting for me at the next intersection.he had tears in his eyes,he said to me that the the people that overtook me would say to him that i was ok and slowly getting there,then he pissed him self laughing again,im looking for a cruise,the wind i found out was 100kph in that section.

tony

BOC64
Community Member
Yeah the weight of a Cruiser and the low center of g does make them easier to ride in the wind. It can get windy around the Capital region.