FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

A game of one-upmanship (The Four Yorkshiremen Monty Python style)

Lost_Girl
Community Member

I have met many Monty Python fans in and around the threads. One of my favourite skits is The Four Yorkshire men where they each try and beat each other to tell the tale of hardship of growing up.

I thought it might be fun to try a game of one-upmanship and see if we manage a laugh or two ourselves. If you're not familiar with the skit, look it up on youtube, it's worth a look even if you don't feel like joining in.

Edit: here's the clip below -CB

When I was young if you wanted to write to a BB forum you had to use pen and paper and send it by snail mail. A team of moderators would review it and block out all the censored words with liquid paper and then they would pin it to a notice board in a central location in your city so you'd have to travel in to see if it got posted 😉

26 Replies 26

Gruffudd
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Well that's nothing. When I wanted to communicate I had to first catch a pigeon, but the only one slow enough not to evade me only had one wing which gave a rather circular route to the message which was eventually deposited onto of the head of the statue of Charles Latrobe in a city park and read only by a council worker who returned it by post.

Well you're lucky! At least you could run to catch one. The last time I tried running to catch one, the pigeon flew around in a circle behind me and pecked my leg. I ended up with a staph infection and had to have my leg removed so I can't even chase pigeons.

Gruffudd
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
You should consider yourself aristocracy! I may have chicken legs but I don't have the luxury of not chasing things why only today my school bag got caught on the tow bar of a car whilst crossing the road and I was forced to run a marathon just to retrieve my stale honey sandwich for lunch.

At least you had a honey sandwich. To get some honey, I had to wrestle a bear. It bit my arm off and I didn't get any honey. What's more, while I was wrestling the bear, that pigeon ate my bread so I couldn't have a sandwich with anything else in it either. Not that I could have made one anyway, you need two arms to hold the bread when you spread things on it.

You had bread! I went to the shop to get bread with coins from my money box only to be told they don't accept 1's and 2 cent coins anymore. As I left the shop a pigeon pooped on my head. I had to hop all the way home on my one leg, dejected and stomach grumbling from hunger. It took me all day to get home and when I got there I realised I left my house key at the shop so had to start hopping all the way back.....

A house? Well, aren't you lucky? I have to live in a hollow log, and I share it with 17 rabbits, 153 spiders and a bewildered-looking stoat. And do you know what? None of them get along. Especially when that pigeon's around. Bicker, bicker, bicker, all day and night. It's so loud and breezy in there I never get a minute's sleep.

At least you sleep. I haven't had sleep now for 37 years. My eyelids are so heavy that they need reinforced toothpicks to hold them up. I would give my right leg for even a minutes sleep.

What a luxury, having toothpicks. I tried to get some, once. I couldn't afford them, of course, so I had to steal them. Didn't get to use a single one, before they were purloined and wound up lining a pigeon nest. And I got sent to prison for stealing them. There weren't any toothpicks there either.

hmmm...I dont get it.....Monty Python....cool....I have only seen the one about the bible....I might do a high jump over Bluguru's big words and....just....quietly......fade......away.............back into 'the fort that Rob built'..... 🙂