FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

How can we improve the forums? Your suggestions and comments please

Chris_B
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi all, this thread is a running commentary for all members on things for improvements to the forums. This can be anything from how it looks, the categories, to moderation, community rules etc.

While we might not be able to implement everything straightaway, or keep everyone happy all of the time, we'd like to hear about what you think we can do better.

This is not a thread for discussing the moderation or editing of individual posts - if you have questions about this please contact the team offline via email modsupport@beyondblue.org.au

To avoid repeating suggestions already received, below are some results from our last user survey giving an indication of which new features people would like to see on the forums. This survey was answered by 1,597 users:

44% - Email notification when I have a reply on the forum
39% - Access to the forums via an app
27% - Ability to block seeing posts by specific users
25% - Ability to contact users privately
25% - Ability to use emoticons
25% - Ability to follow posts by specific users
24% - Ability to share links
23% - Forum posts visible only to registered users
22% - A profile, viewable by others users, where I can introduce myself
21% - Ability to quickly access all posts by a particular user
15% - Ability to tag users in a conversation
10% - Ability to share images
6% - Ability to share videos
17% - None of these

Update July 2022 - This discussion has now been closed. Please go to the updated version below to share feedback and follow our updates:

How can we improve the Forums?

957 Replies 957

Hello it is my opinion that only moderators should moderate. I think learning is important and it would be helpful if there was less negativity on line and more challenging by Sophie, to help keep minds in the positive realm. I do not see it as healthy to allow negative subjects and rants, it helps no one. Challenging our sick thinking is our only hope and I would like to see a lot more of it.

Hi amberlite, 

Thank you for putting your views forward. We try to maintain a safe space for all users, so that everyone has a great experience. For some people sometimes that means coming on the forum to vent, which others can see as a rant. We appreciate the view that some may find it negative, however for some it is a positive outlet as they can vent on the forum and then drop their concerns. People come to the forums for different reasons. 

The forum is a place for community support, to connect with others of like mind, rather than the moderators challenging users. The reason for this is it’s an anonymous space and to challenge others can require a great deal of personal rapport between mod and user. Depending on the user a lot of trust may need to be established and that can be hard to do on a public forum. Therefore, we leave the challenging aspect up to counsellors and psychologists as they have built that personal rapport with their clients directly. We may be able to challenge users from time to time, however this is not the platform for that, as we cannot measure every individual’s safety level. 

We hope that this has offered some clarification. We respect that the forum cannot be everything to everybody, all the time. Just like anything else sometimes we get what we like from a particular source and other times it's not so perfect. We hope that you continue to enjoy the forum, at least for the most part.

This is a great community and we hope that you all continue to stay in touch, understanding that sometime there may be some limitations. 

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
I am sorry this has happened to you.This is an mental health Forum and people on here do struggle from depression and mental health problems.It is a place we should be able to vent and discuss are mental health problems.

Guest_1643
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
and these contributions here are awesome, thanks to everyone for the reasonable, fair and thoughtful questions. i like to know what's going on myself and these discussions have been uplifting for me. Keep it coming 🙂

I am not certain what you are sorry for?

I know what the site is but I disagree if people Vent and discuss their problems - should we not some how then have an encourage task (?) so we can learn to take responsibility and do something for ourselves?

Everyone knows you can give a man a fish or you can teach him to fish, see the point.

I just think this site could be a bit more educational / motivational / DIY mental tune up.

Hey amberlite

I hope you don't mind me joining your conversation as you raise some very valid points.

While you are very right in what you say, people "should" be able to take responsibility for their wellness and their journey to wellness, YET..what seems quite obvious to you and maybe to me and even others is not so easy for some who post here. That is the very reason that they do post, they cannot see, they do not know, that is why they are reaching out in hope and in need, to get some education and to get some support. So what looks like idle chit chat to some it is actually gold to others. Then sometimes you even see them go on to share this with others..so in fact they are taking a fish and then sharing a fish....

There are lots of links and educational pieces on the Beyond Blue website, that people can read and learn from, sometimes this is all too much for some to cope with and to absorb, sometimes it is a vent and a chat that can get though.

Hugs
Sarah

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Amberlite if you do not want me on this site anymore you should have said so.Sorry I suffer a depression and mental illness .I will no longer come one here.Sorry I have have suffered from mental illness for 50 years.This was the only place I had to communicate with people.Sorry I will not come on here again.

Hello Matchy69,

This is a place for everyone to use the forum as a way to express themselves. Venting is perfectly acceptable on this forum, provided it is not directed towards anyone and users are discussing their own experiences. 

Matchy69 different people are going to come on to the forum for different reasons and that is perfectly ok. Amberlite has their own reasons, which is ok as well. We just all need to be accepting of the reasons people come to the forum. As long as the safety of the community is taken into account there is no issue with expressing feelings and thoughts. 

We hope that you both continue to visit the forum and enjoy the community support. We understand that the forum is not going to be all things to everyone. This is a place of acceptance and non-judgement. We are here to support each and help each other through. You are more than welcome here. 

This is your home too, you are welcome here today, you are welcome here tomorrow, you can vent and you can express what ever you want and say how you feel, to reach out and to get the support you need here. Please do not let others make you feel like you are not welcome, this is for everyone, for those who vent, for those who do not, for those who have people to support them and those that do not, for those who suffer and for those who support and for those who do both....this is for everyone here and that includes you!

hi Matchy -

You are so very welcome on this site..I, for one hope you stick around 🙂 I was sorry to read you are feeling this way. Your posts are helpful to read and always friendly.

I respectfully disagree with the comments Amberlite mentioned re not venting and only positivity. Thank you Sophie for giving a balanced view on the range of members and our needs. We all are different - have different backgrounds and experiences; and are at different stages in our paths. I think acceptance of this is the best thing and allowing members to use the site for the best way they can. So long as we are all respectful of each other. Venting has been shown to be a good outlet for ppl with depression. For me personally I find this more beneficial for where I am at now than sugary sweet unrealistic 'hope'. That has a place for some. Just like venting has a place for others.

Totally agree with Sleepy's comments re advice for helplines and GP for MHCP. Whilst this is pushed for us all.. I have found it not helpful over the years for myself. And when on the line to BB several months ago I tried to express that psychologists are not for me, having tried several over the years - and was rudely told 'well, if you are not willing to accept help - what do you want from me?' It makes you feel like a failure and that there is no hope left for you to get 'better'. I don't know, but I think there needs to be a wider variety of advice - as in not a one size fits all approach with the generic advice pumped out.