FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

How can we improve the forums? Your suggestions and comments please

Chris_B
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi all, this thread is a running commentary for all members on things for improvements to the forums. This can be anything from how it looks, the categories, to moderation, community rules etc.

While we might not be able to implement everything straightaway, or keep everyone happy all of the time, we'd like to hear about what you think we can do better.

This is not a thread for discussing the moderation or editing of individual posts - if you have questions about this please contact the team offline via email modsupport@beyondblue.org.au

To avoid repeating suggestions already received, below are some results from our last user survey giving an indication of which new features people would like to see on the forums. This survey was answered by 1,597 users:

44% - Email notification when I have a reply on the forum
39% - Access to the forums via an app
27% - Ability to block seeing posts by specific users
25% - Ability to contact users privately
25% - Ability to use emoticons
25% - Ability to follow posts by specific users
24% - Ability to share links
23% - Forum posts visible only to registered users
22% - A profile, viewable by others users, where I can introduce myself
21% - Ability to quickly access all posts by a particular user
15% - Ability to tag users in a conversation
10% - Ability to share images
6% - Ability to share videos
17% - None of these

Update July 2022 - This discussion has now been closed. Please go to the updated version below to share feedback and follow our updates:

How can we improve the Forums?

957 Replies 957

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi I was wondering if it would be allowed to put up as my profile picture for ANZAC day my grandfather in his WW1 uniform taken in 1915 before he went and fought at Gallipoli.

Hi Mark
Your grandfather would be very proud of you for doing so especially this time of the year

My kindest

Paul

Guest_1643
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

hi Rumples, I wander if the timestamp is deliberately not used here?
It is a shame in terms of not being able to see how long a post has been unanswered,

But I can see advantages to there not being timestamps as well

People may want to post at odd times (insomniacs like me) and not have it recorder as such. Not sure

Hanna3
Community Member
I really object to ageist comments being permitted on the coronavirus thread. I have two very elderly friends I care for very much and I find ageist comments offensive. They are no different to racist comments or comments about people of different religions etc. I believe BB should be careful that this type of comment is not permitted.

Hi Hanna

Thankyou for mentioning this and I trust the matter has been dealt with. This is a complex and one of the fastest rotating threads I have seen since I joined...Im not a moderator...just a volunteer and the coronavirus thread topic is a difficult thread to keep up with considering the pandemic we are all going through

Just a note....I wrote a thread about the quality of aged care mental health a while ago and we had many health professionals and members reply..It was difficult to maintain as we dont have many elderly members on the forums which didnt help the thread topic..unfortunately

my kindest always Hanna

Paul

Hi Hanna3,

We too object to and remove discriminatory language from our forums.

It is really important to remember that text is not a perfect medium of communication especially for things like tone of voice. This in turn can lead to misunderstandings.

Please be aware that just as the intent of your post may be misunderstood by other readers so too may you misunderstand others' intentions when reading their posts.

This is why we ask all forums participants to please keep in mind the overarching values that guide our community rules (https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/community-rules). These five values are: support, respect, empowerment, safety and friendliness.

These rules have been designed in the best interest of the whole of our valued online forums community. If everyone keeps these in mind, misunderstandings should be kept to a minimum.

If you do see anything you think breaches these community rules then please report it to moderators by hitting "Report Post" in the top right corner of each post. If you do that, moderators will review the post immediately.

Remember that references to moderation in the forums is cause for them to be edited or removed as they are off topic and tend to derail conversations designed to help people with their mental wellbeing. Should you wish to query a moderation decision, please get in touch with us privately via email and we will respond on the next business day. Please note also, that while always open to review, moderators' decisions are final.

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Is it just me that has trouble changing their profile pitcure on their phone.I have been having this problem for awhile and when i try to change it System Error comes up.I love changing my profile picture regularly but havent been able to do it as much as i like.

Guest_1643
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi Mark I have had that error come up every time I've tried to add a profile pic.
I've done it from a computer with that result.
Thought it was just me. Thanks for bringing it up as it is a bit confusing

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi Sleepy thats interesting that the same things happening on your computer.I tried it on two different phones and the same thing keeps happening.I dont even own a computer to even try.

Thanks for flagging this with us Matchy69 and Sleepy21. Our IT experts are investigating.