FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

How can we improve the forums? Your suggestions and comments please

Chris_B
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi all, this thread is a running commentary for all members on things for improvements to the forums. This can be anything from how it looks, the categories, to moderation, community rules etc.

While we might not be able to implement everything straightaway, or keep everyone happy all of the time, we'd like to hear about what you think we can do better.

This is not a thread for discussing the moderation or editing of individual posts - if you have questions about this please contact the team offline via email modsupport@beyondblue.org.au

To avoid repeating suggestions already received, below are some results from our last user survey giving an indication of which new features people would like to see on the forums. This survey was answered by 1,597 users:

44% - Email notification when I have a reply on the forum
39% - Access to the forums via an app
27% - Ability to block seeing posts by specific users
25% - Ability to contact users privately
25% - Ability to use emoticons
25% - Ability to follow posts by specific users
24% - Ability to share links
23% - Forum posts visible only to registered users
22% - A profile, viewable by others users, where I can introduce myself
21% - Ability to quickly access all posts by a particular user
15% - Ability to tag users in a conversation
10% - Ability to share images
6% - Ability to share videos
17% - None of these

Update July 2022 - This discussion has now been closed. Please go to the updated version below to share feedback and follow our updates:

How can we improve the Forums?

957 Replies 957

Idkme
Community Member

What awesome feedback and some great suggestions...

i have one that kind of fits here... I would love to run a blog/update (which I kind of have in ‘newly triggered’ in ptsd section.

It would be great to know if anyone reads it or follows it. I’m not sure of any other place to go where I can protect my identity and feel safe and still share my story. I can continue to do this but not sure if it’s encouraged or if it’s worth it... I already keep a personal diary so if no one reads it then there isn’t much point.

I know I follow a couple of general interest stories, so maybe if there was a separate section for ‘my story’ or similar..... or maybe I just start a new thread... or maybe this is the wrong place for that....

just a thought

IreneM
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Love your suggestion Idkme, I would love to do a post on how I am going mentally too. Like the thought. But witha story that can fall across quite a few categories it is a bit difficult to know where to post.

ON the subject of categories:

Not sure whether to put it in the Issues section or People Like Me area - Chronic Illness.

There have been a few people with other chronic illnesses, and it is nice to know that there are others who are restrained be it by the illness itself or simply lack of good services medical or mental.

sectorsteve
Community Member

its like the ATO's website. really hard to use. Cannot find anything you want easily. menu is rubbish.

Not inspired to really get involved...

Make it simple aye?

We already have issues!

welcome sectorsteve to the forum, and thanks for your feedback.

I understand at first a new forum can take a while to use

I am glad you have made two posts.

If you use the search engine you can find a range of topics that may interest you.

The forums are trying to be as simple and accessible as possible.

I hope you do find something that interests you.

Thanks again for your opinion.

Quirky

Ruhelos
Community Member

a character could higher than 2500 please!

so much to say, so little character space to do so 😞

Hi Ruhelos and welcome,

I had to have a chuckle...The character limit has been an ongoing debate for a long time. Some want to write more, others want less characters.

As I understand it the main reason there is a limit is to try keep posts as approachable as possible. Long posts, especially ones with no paragraphs or punctuation can be completely overwhelming even with 2500 characters.

Generally the more difficult a post is to read the less replies it will get.

Also keep in mind there is no limit in terms of time to explain your story in. Many of us here have long term threads. There is no pressure to have to explain your story all at once.

Nat

Guest5643
Community Member

Hi.

Question was asked and im answering so please no backlash.

#Personaly i think the community champion ect titles should be removed. Everyone on here should be treated equal not one so called higher than the other.

#I think the likes should be removed since someone could get offended if someones comment is liked and not theres.

#I think out of respect if i post is edited or moderated it should be stated.

#Email notification when a post has been accepted not just denied

#A button you have to press to comfirm post this reply since its incredibly easy to accidently press post.

Cheers lynne

Hi Lynne,

You've raised some really interesting points. The last three I hadn't considered before.

Some time ago there was a survey about changing the name of the 'likes' option or potentially removing it. It might be something you'd like to read because others had agreed with points you mentioned even if the result was to leave it as is.

The idea of removing titles is one I found myself stopping to consider and think on. I'm still not sure how I feel about it. It is an idea worth considering even if not everyone will agree so thank you for suggesting it.

It would be sad to me to see the life membership badge go. People with that have given years of their time and care voluntarily and that is something I see as important to acknowledge.

Hey Lynne

Thankyou for your contribution and thoughts on forum improvement. There will be no backlash as there is no judgement on the forums. We only speak from our own life experience

• All members are treated equally here. Even my background here as a Community Champion and Life member only reflects the huge hours of support I have provided to members that are experiencing difficulty
  • All Champions are still members of the Beyond Blue forums, just like yourself...all equal and respected
  • The 'likes' button is not a contest...Its a basic form of recognition for members to show their appreciation for another members input/support! It makes the forums less clinical and increases the care factor 🙂
  • When you provide support to other members you will notice an increase in the posts you receive too...I guess its providing some support to receive some in return

Great to have you back on the forums Lynne and thanks for the post too 🙂

my kindest

Paul