FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Your positive story... please share

Lind779
Community Member

Hi everyone,

I would love to hear your stories on how you overcome your anxiety or improved life with anxiety...

I know majority of us don't refer to these online forums when feeling great but if there are some, like myself that stay on here to help support others, please share. šŸ˜Š

103 Replies 103

maxation
Community Member

Hi. Anxiety is you.a scared you

Running away in your mind.so when you fight that it becomes harder to.handle. imagine someone suddenly making a loud noise thats not expected.what happens? Well you feel like lashing out.or running for safety. If you cant do either.your mind and body dosnt cope.it tells you by sending you fear sensations. Get it? So. Picture yourself screaming at that frightful noise.or sprinting away.picture that the next time.maybe the feelings of panic wont last too.long. .. thanks. Snagz.

mpmelb
Community Member

Hi,

I have struggled with health anxiety since I had a breast cancer scare shortly after having my baby. This was five and a half years ago. I battled through nine months with it as I was breastfeeding and didn't want to take medication. I tried regular counselling but that didn't help. Once I weaned my baby, I started taking medication and admit it did help. After close to two years on medication, I decided to try coming off and everything was fine for probably six months. Progressively, things got worse again. I didn't want to go back on medication as I felt that it my situation, it helped but was just a band-aid for a bigger issue. I felt I needed to treat the illness and not just the symptoms, so I saw my doctor and got a referral to have Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT). It was the hardest thing I have ever done. It was three months of hell but it helped immensely. It has given me the tools to deal with my anxiety. It hasn't "fixed" me - I certainly have my relapses (am having one right now) but I know what I need to do when this happens. I would highly recommend it to those who haven't tried it. I will say, however, that you need to give your all to it and dedicate yourself to doing everything that is asked of you, no matter how tough. I felt like it was my last hope, so I committed completely to the process. I became disheartened with a lack of progress halfway through but at about the eight week mark, I started noticing a difference. From there, things improved drastically and have allowed me to go 2.5 years medication-free.

SourceShield
Community Member

Hello.

I've shared in a few posts on BB now.

But, I would like to share this positive story...

I have decided to get back out there and perform again.

My first career was as a professional performing artist but I had a major 'breakdown'...the lifestyle got the better of me - I was very young from 16yrs to 28yrs... a lot of drugs, and drinking.

After the 'breakdown', I lost my nerve completely.

I have performed since, but my nerves were still shot to pieces.

I am ready again...as ready as I will ever be.

Me and The Wolfhound, my dog...are gonna do some street theatre and busk!

Starting small...but its big for me.

I dont see this as a career move as such but more-so...a healthy soul move!

I do it because my soulful self needs to sing, dance, entertain and perform.

When I sing at home, I feel the buzz and know that I must get back out there...

Thanks for having this space for us to share our positive times too.

MuchAppreciation

Julio60
Community Member

Hi PatT. well done, you are an inspiration.

I try to look for what it is that helps others overcome these intrepid conditions, it seems that accepting what you are is the biggest step forward and after acceptance comes forgiveness and empathy of self, but don't make yourself a victim or seek pity because then it will just become a never ending cycle. Easier said than done, however reading posts like yours gives inspiration and hope.

rufio
Community Member

i had some panic attacks a couple months ago, i then went to a psychologist for help. a good psychologist is the best and the initiative that you get 10 free/discounted visits a year is awesome. i always think up different strategies and ideas to deal with everything, some worked for a little while and others made it worse šŸ˜› but i have recently settled on 'just dont fear', seems rediculous, right?

it was a bit of a weird epiphany but i watched something that said anxiety is seeing threats, so i thought i should just not be afraid of things. so i practice not fearing anything, staying relaxed, doing lots of things especially those that will challenge me, knowing my anxiety is there which is fine and knowing this is easy which stengthens my no fear and self conifdence.

Comets
Community Member
I have slight GAD. Not way as bad as I had. I get the usual symptoms as well as constant grinding teeth which I don't hear much of. I take meds to take the edge off but what most people here say works for me. That is cognitive talk therapy and also ACT which is to accept the symptoms and don't try to get rid of them. Study them. Mindfulness meditation definitely works by realising that thoughts continue to rise. You notice that your mind comes up with a lot of rubbish. Just notice these thoughts and don't be the thought. Notice your breathing and be in the now. Focus on the now and with practice your brain re-wires and calms down. Symptoms go.

Soreeyes
Community Member
I've got only 5 days left until I'm off medication forever! Yay, now I can get my life back!

Anxistuk
Community Member

My first time reaching out. After six months of circles and not being told why I was constantly shaking I've finally found have major anxiety n depression. am stuck at home alone so need communication - this is what stops my shaking

Hi anxistuk,

this place is great for communication. I have just started 'talking' here and I think it is helping me. I am new too, but I see this has been added to an older thread. It might be better to post a new thread on anxiety forum, you will probably get more replies.

It is great that you now know why you've been feeling so bad. There is lots of help available for anxiety and depression, so I hope you continue to get professional help, but every little thing you do to help yourself will add up.

My main problem is major depression. Very long standing. I thought that was bad enough until I did suffer anxiety for several months last year. It was terrible. I had no idea how much worse it made me feel. I am very lucky in that it resolved spontaneously once the added stress I had in my life at the time was resolved. Thank goodness, it really was too much.

If only I could kick the depression. It is probably due to multiple circumstances which are unlikely to change or improve in the foreseeable future, so I'll keep riding it out.

This is the start of your recovery. Hopefully you will be feeling like your old self soon. I hope it is a smooth journey for you.

Lind779
Community Member
I haven't been on here for ages and its amazing reading these posts again and reminds me to go back to basics and everything will be ok. Anxiety, GAD isnt nice!