FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Working with anxiety

Darthrivia
Community Member

Hello everyone,

I have never posted in here before. So hey! I wanted to bring up working with anxiety & depression. I’ve been diagnosed with both and it’s ruining my career. Well, the last two jobs I’ve had I personally hate and it’s not for me naturally which of course triggers my anxiety and then I just don’t want to go because my brain is like “oh just stay home then!” Instantly I feel better I’m at home in my comfort zone with my pets and my gaming and then the guilt sets in that I’ve lost income and my amazing supportive partner is busting his ass off at work. I started this job back in April and I’ve had more days off then days I’ve actually been there. I just called in for the rest of the week which is a pathetic 3 days that I can’t even bring myself to go to. I know I need to find something in my field I’ll enjoy. I got a possible opportunity in the gaming/IT sector which I think will be great for me. It’s just very hard to get into without experience. And studying costs a lot and I’ve made that hard on myself by not working much.

Sorry for rambling and I hope that made sense. Does this happen for anyone else here? The never wanting to go to work? Always calling in sick? Looking forward to hearing everyone’s stories and opinions.

Thanks for taking the time to read

6 Replies 6

Stui
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Darthrivia,

Thank you for bringing this up I have had a similar experience. I once worked for one of the major supermarket chains and after time I hated it, it stressed me and caused me anxiety being there, but I needed to keep going in because I lived alone and needed to pay my rent and bills. I started studying through open university because it did not cost anything immediately and I was a mature student so it was not to hard to get in. The most important aspect of this is it gave me hope that I could start working after my studies in a field I enjoyed, which made me feel much better and I coped better with going to work. I was going to be somewhere in three years and I did not want it to be where I was. Maybe that is something you could consider.

I am really pleased you have a supportive partner and I believe you will find something you enjoy in your field if you keep looking.

jaz28
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi there,

I am sorry you have been feeling this way. I think getting a job in the field of your comfort zone or a work from home job might be good too. We all work differently.

Otherwise seeing your GP and a psych may help you to fight your anxiety.

Jaz

Sophia16
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hey,

Welcome to the forums! and thank you for sharing your story 🙂

I can see that you are feeling exhausted and angry at yourself.

As Jaz said, doing something you will enjoy may be good for you. If you enjoy your work, then it feels like you haven't worked a day in your life.

Amazing that you have found a job opportunity. If it states that you have to study beforehand, then yes you can do OUA. Online university. This is for any age and is easy to access from your computer. Only takes 1-2 years full time as well.

Anyways, Work your hardest to achieve what you want because you only live once. Risk it all and work your way up.

Please stay safe and I am here to chat if you need me.

Gambit87
Community Member

Hi,

Welcome to the forums!

You wouldn't think so if you knew me, but I have depression and anxiety!

I've had a similar experience, long story short I hit the 10 year mark in my current job and I was hating it so much. The anxiety from having to go there every day was making me feel terrible but the thought of not being able to pay for bills, rent etc was worse so I forced myself to go. I was ready to go on long service leave then quit

Then covid hit... and it would have been a bad idea for me to quit my job.

What helped me get through this period was learning acceptance with the help of my psychologist. Ive accepted my current situation and ive accepted that my current situation is not my final destination. I feel MUCH better about being at my job now and my work anxiety is pretty much gone.

I encourage you to speak to a GP and get a mental health care plan then go speak to a psychologist.

all the best!

Baljit
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Darthrivia,

I am sorry that you are feeling this way.

I believe that self-love, belief, worth and confidence are some of the key elements to happiness both in your private and work life, as-well as having a supportive network of family and friends around you.

As Stui, has mentioned it could be a great exercise if you produced a simple and realistic personal development plan, relating to both what your goals are in your career and personal life, and then go out there and make it happen😊

This will provide you with a level of achievement and purpose at work. And remember your current place of work is not your final destination, look at it as a pit stop.

Wishing you the best and finally it’s fantastic that you have a understanding and supportive partner.

Good luck🙏🏾

chadicha
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hey! I totally understand your situation- I have worked in fast food for many years and there were times I was totally drained and felt I was only living to work for such small wages. I really believe, if your feeling the need to take some time off and look after yourself go for it, maybe its really what you need to come back even better and more resilient. Maybe discuss/talk to management about having some days off and your mental health I'm sure they will be understanding but also discussing the possibility of integrating these days permanently into your roster. Either way, your strong enough to pull through and there is such a bright light at the end of the tunnel for you. 100% follow your passions and what you love, you deserve to do that and what helped me get through work was just by seeing it as a season (because thats exactly what it is). It won't last forever and I know ill always end up in a greater place after, just like you will.