FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Why do people want to be outside their comfort zone?

Nervybella
Community Member

Hi all

ive Been thinking a lot lately about why people are always encouraging or pushing others to step outside their comfort zone. I started a new job a few months ago that’s certainly outside the realm of what I used to do. Some days are ok, but some tasks are so far outside my comfort zone that I have immense anxiety and feel miserable!

I am getting a bit over all these inspirational quotes saying to step outside your comfort zone, only good comes from this etc etc

would love to hear others opinion on this too… is there something wrong with me staying in my own comfortable bubble??

best

Bella

9 Replies 9

HappyHelper88
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Bella thankyou for your post,

Congratulations on your new role, there is always some anxiety around a new job and it can be stressful. I have often worried am i doing it right? I am sorry that you are feeling like this. Is there anyway you can talk to your boss about how you are feeling?
There is nothing wrong with staying in your own comfortable bubble.
If you want to talk this through with a Beyond Blue counsellor, we’re on 1300 22 4636 or you can reach us on webchat here. Please remember to reach out whenever you need to.

Feel free to keep sharing, other members will likely be able to relate to what you’re going through.

Pumpkinella
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

I totally agree Nervybella I find those inspirational quotes annoying and boring at the same time 🙂

I think its totally okay if you don't want to step outside your comfort zone. Anyone saying they love stepping outside their comfort zone isn't THAT uncomfortable with it to begin with.

You're not meant to love it, you're meant to feel uncomfortable about it - by definition. So I'm with you, I hate stepping outside my comfort zone. Unfortunately sometimes I have to and lets face it we do learn and grow from it eventually but I don't make a point of doing it and I think that's completely fine.

Starting a new job is so hard, there is a lot of anxiety and it does take a while to adjust. Have you told your employers what your anxious about? Sometimes telling them can take the pressure off a bit.

Cheerio

Pumps

Hey Pumps

thabks for the reply! Glad I’m not the only one 🙂

those inspirational quotes grind my gears so much hahah they do nothing to motivate me that’s for sure!

I had a chat with my manager a few weeks ago and mentioned I felt swamped in work and unsure it was for me and we chatted about it but at the time I think we sort of brushed it aside as lockdown fatigue and still getting the hang of the new role.
im now wondering how long to give it “just adjusting to a new job” before that’s not the reason anymore…

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Nervybella,

Im sorry you are feeling anxious at the moment with your new job.

In my experience stepping outside of your comfort zone will give you so much personal growth!

If you are experiencing anxiety in regards to your job maybe you could have a chat with your manager about the way your work load is affecting you…… maybe your manager could provide you with a mentor so they can help you to grow with your job….

Also you could have a chat to your gp about the way you are feeling you could do a mental health plan together this will enable you to see a psychologist who can give you many strategies for anxiety…….. with the help from your psychologist you will also grow because you can learn to look at things with a different perspective and also learn how to manage your thoughts and anxiety in a positive way……..

Please don’t be afraid to grow because once you start to grow the view is amazing!

Keep pushing the boundaries because if you don’t you won’t know how far you can go 😊

I’m here to chat

Katyonthehamsterwheel
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hiya 🙂

Me - I used to love my bubble, and never wanted to leave it. Now I have days where I’m fine in my bubble, and other days I want to push that bubble’s walls out a bit. Too much but and I’m freaking out!

I think everyone has personal limits on how much growth they’re up for at any one time, and that’s ok 🙂

Morning Nervybella!

Yeah I know what you mean. I was in a role three months and I remember crying somewhere near the offices and threatening to quit (my mum was there who worked nearby). It was only because my mum was really insistent that I stay that I went back in. I remember thinking if I'm not comfortable in three months how long will it take?!!

I actually did get more comfortable in the role and it ended up being one of my favourite jobs.

But then there were other jobs I left early cause I couldn't deal. And I thought what if I just stuck at it? Could've turned out good, could've been crap. Don't know. Doesn't really matter I just move on. Try again somewhere else.

What do you like about the role? Do you have to do the things you hate often?

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Nervybella

I read somewhere why should I go our my comfort zone when I have worked so hard and so long to feel that I am comfortable.

Sometimes we can go out side our comfort zone and sometimes we can stay in our own fort one. I think we can’t be pressured into doing what ms,es us feel nervous and sick

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Nervybella, I wonder whether 'stepping outside of your comfort zone' is similar to 'the grass is greener on the other side, in other words, an unknown world full of possibilities or things always seem more appealing than the things you do have.

Isn't it something we tell our kids when they're trying to ride a bike for the first time, they certainly don't believe us, but from our own experience we know that's how they will learn and so we keep encouraging them, through the tears when they fall over and giving them the opportunity to know they can enter into dangerous waters, which will end up for them to be an easy accomplishment?

When we hop behind a car wheel for the first time, learning how to drive, we are out of our comfort zone but know that we need to get our vehicle licence, so we persevere.

Sometimes we can do it and other times we can't, depending on the situation.

Geoff.

Megzt84
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Bella,

Firstly I just want to say that there is nothing wrong with you staying in your comfort bubble.

For me personally though, stepping out of my comfort zone or being forced out of it with different life experiences has helped me. I have social anxiety so it was always comfortable for me to stay in my bubble, where I felt safe but it wasn’t helping me grow as a person. I was taking the easy option. Having to do things in my career that make me uncomfortable socially actually helped me in the long run. It wasn’t easy at the time but I look back now and see how important it was. Sometimes it’s just small things like changing jobs if you aren’t happy rather than staying comfortable with what you know.

I do believe that for certain people and certain situations it’s not good to be too comfortable. You obviously don’t want to be feeling overwhelmed or anxious all the time, but just feel like you are pushing yourself when needed and making positive growth.

Everyones path is different