FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

what physical feelings of anxiety do you get?

annabay
Community Member

hey there, what physical symptoms of anxiety do you experience?

I often feel very alone in my experience of having physical chest (what I think are heart) spasms and was wanting to create a space for everyone to list their physical feelings that come hand in hand with anxiety so we can all feel less alone.

hope everyone is well.

797 Replies 797

Mactedbelmax
Community Member
Hi Everyone after suffering from an anxiety and panic disorder to varying degress in the last 20 yrs I decided it was time to check out some forums and im glad I did reading through these posts make me feel like im not alone in my fight. Physical symptoms of anxiety for me can be various with the most common being heart palpitations, nausea and tension headaches (bad ones) going through a health anxiety disorder in the early 2000's was not easy as i had every test imaginable and they couldn't find anything wrong with me,the doctor pretty much told me i was making everything up and i was wasting his time. As i age my body throws more concerning symptoms at me which almost always ends up with me having a panic attack! I have recently been feeling off balance and fuzzy in the head also have experienced a couple of brain zaps which are scary as hell somedays i feel utterly defeated by this disease as the more I stress about my physical symptoms the more i get and it just becomes a horrible circle of fear and anxiety being able to write about it and having a supportive family helps. Don't be afraid to reach out

Taz14
Community Member

Hi Mitchy1967,

I'm actually trying meditation and spiritual things, where nothing makes sense and modern tests and medicine don't work....i'm looking out further so to speak.

For my I have linked it to a fear of death, if I can somehow tap into the spiritual world...perhaps it might ease the fear of the unknown. Sounds crazy, but it seems to work better then a counselor for me.

Mitchy1967
Community Member
Hi Taz14, I also have a fear of death as well. It is always on my mind. It is just horrific. I have tried spiritual stuff as well. I don't know if nothing is working because I haven't been practising long enough or it just isn't working for me. What sort of spiritual stuff are you looking into? I have tried Reiki and healings but no luck. I am running out of options as I have tried so many different things. Would love to hear your thoughts on what you are trying spiritual wise. Michelle x

Hey Mactedbelmax, I have had every test under the sun like yourself. I feel stupid when all the results come back saying medically I am fine, when I am not fine. I have tried so many different things to help with my anxiety and depression but I am not having much luck. Being an overthinker doesn't help either. I have been practicing meditation and mindfullness but having no luck with that either and I have been trying it for a couple of years now. I just don't know what else to try. I have been to a Psych and no luck either. I am so interested in what tools people use to overcome anxiety and depression. If you ever need a chat always here. 🙂

I have found keeping a journal really helpful i started it a couple of months ago and when you read back through you pick up on different triggers for your anxiety so instead of freaking out about my physical symptoms i can think more rationally about them which helps reduce the severity

I too suffer from almost all of those symptoms with all sorts of weird body sensations they can be really frightening it is comforting to know that there is others out there going through similar things i have often thought that im the only person in the world with crazy physical symptoms!

which ones do you get mainly? have you found any methods to manage it that work for you?

Taz14
Community Member

Hi Michelle 🙂

I had tried connecting with deceased family members, for some reason when I have connected with them (Via physcic) I feel connected to the side I felt the most scared about.

I was very skeptical of this type of connection at first, but when I had a session with someone who could actually connect with the other side, things were said in such detail, the person couldn't have made it up.

I have read Kyle Gray Meditation books, and ones to connected to healing. It helps, it doesn't fix it but it takes the edge and intense fear away. I once read a book about anxiety , by I believe it was by Bev Aisbett. It was the best book i have ever read, it talks about anxiety as something not "bad". For example anxiety is a warning system, a stress response and I guess mine is intensified , so instead of viewing it as a bad thing I must get of... I learn to manage with increased awareness. It really helped me during a bad times, but the good thing is when I go down the rabbit hole of anxiety, I read over these things again to calm me down.

Hi there, it varies for me a bit but at the moment i have been getting alot of tension headaches, brain fog and heart palpitations, i have taken medication for a long time which helps with reducing the amount of panic attacks i get, keeping a journal and accepting my anxiety has helped alot if you can accept whats happening to you and meet it head on instead of fighting makes a huge difference although i still struggle at times i believe that has been the biggest help for me it has taken 20yrs for me to start accepting it

l get serious brain block, if it's a people thing l'll just sort of mentally freeze up, can't think anything or speak it, and if l'm suppose to do something l won't be about too just fumble about and mess it up. lt's caused me the most humiliating times of my life and once in particular at a time where it just could not be worse and in front of 100 people and family. l can over power it these days mostly but it can still get me as in that time 7yrs ago which l'll never forget rest of my life, no one will. but many many other times also and some from growing up as well that l still remember like yesterday.