FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

what physical feelings of anxiety do you get?

annabay
Community Member

hey there, what physical symptoms of anxiety do you experience?

I often feel very alone in my experience of having physical chest (what I think are heart) spasms and was wanting to create a space for everyone to list their physical feelings that come hand in hand with anxiety so we can all feel less alone.

hope everyone is well.

797 Replies 797

Has anyone had phantom smells and a headache? I keep getting a want of smoke type smell.

I seem to be rotating through so many different symptoms at the moment.

makes it hard to calm myself down when there is a different symptom every day.

AnxiousAF
Community Member
For me its i stop breathing and then i get a wave of nausea and heat racing, its not a good time 😞

Jesicca
Community Member
Hey everyone,

I often feel a very heavy feeling on my chest weighing me down when I feel anxious and I feel like I'm constantly on the verge of tears that just won't come. I like going for a walk in fresh air or doing some meditation or yoga when these feelings come around, especially when they aren't linked to an event.

My symptoms rotate as well. At my worst I never knew what I would wake up to. Now that things have improved I still get a very heavy feeling in my chest from time to time. I get pressure in my head and I suffer from air hunger quite regularly. These come and go from day to day and multiple times through the day in some cases. I just try understand that your body is Under stress and I just have to ride through the cycles.

Healthy_anxiety
Community Member

I’m suffering from health anxiety, for about 2 months. I’ve been getting

squeezing of the heart Burning heart

lungs are burning and itchy

nausea

headache with double vision and lack of focus and concentration

ive seen heath professionals many time some are helpful and some are not, I’m still in the process of getting things checked out. But once I’m all done and I get the ok I’ll just keep replaying what the doctors have said I’m all good. Easier said than done especially when I get an episode. But knowing everything is fine helps out a lot too

Abdominal tension tight in either side of the groin. Bloating like my skin is going to burst. Abdominal pains, stabbing gas like. It is not a nice feeling. It never goes. Especially when I breath in deeply. Husband took me for a drive today and could not wait to get home.

I believe, I need to try and do some exercise. One step at a time.

Hi everyone and great to have so many people share their physical symptoms of anxiety

Hey AMMoverthinking.....good on you for being on the forums.....anxiety can be awful as it shows itself in so many many ways.....Its always helpful to check if you have been going through ongoing cumulative stressful events as these can sometimes result in the feelings we have

Hey AnxiousAF.....just from my own experience the tight breathing and racing heart are very common feelings of anxiety......Always a bonus to see our GP with these symptoms.....and yes they are awful to have

Hey Ricman....great to have you as part of the forums....all the symptoms you mention are horrible to have...yet very common....I remember having the same....Seeing our GP can provide some peace of mind

Hey Healthy anxiety.....you are proactive with your health by consulting with your doctors and good on you! Anxiety can also mimic physical conditions too as you are aware....be gentle to yourself

Hey Rosco....welcome and thankyou for being a part of the discussion too! Depending on our GP's advice these symptoms can be awful to experience....If you think they are anxiety related please do mention this to your GP

sometimes anxiety related symptoms can be a result of cumulative stressful times in our lives....(subject to our doctors diagnosis of course)

If anyone wishes to have a look.my own physical anxiety symptoms are listed on this thread in the first couple of pages of this excellent thread

my kind thoughts always 🙂

Paul

Thanks mate! I just wanna know does anyone have any tips to help control “healthy anxiety “ I’ll be gentle with myself too

If I’m having a particularly bad anxiety episode (usually when something has changed in my world...so between the pandemic and being a teacher this has been frequent) my body wants to go to sleep or just lay down. This week I had blurred vision and a headache. It seems mine is head based - feeling hungover when I haven’t been drinking. Feeling faint when I’ve slept/eaten/etc. At the moment it affects my head and wants me to shut down.

Sending you all support. I know how annoying it is when you just want to get on with life. We don’t choose this. You aren’t alone. I can see I’m not alone.

Hello BillyChook (and everyone!)

We are very grateful to have you on the forums and thankyou for sending everyone your support! It means more than you know.

Part of my own symptoms were the exactly the same as yours when I was working in corporate and they are awful to experience.....When we are feeling 'overwhelmed' these symptoms are more than common

Feeling faint....headache feelings....blurry vision...and feeling that we really need to have a decent sleep..Ugh!

You have helped so many people with your post BillieChook. 70% of the 'hits' we have are from people that choose to 'read only' which is great....the other 30% choose to post like you and I have

Its only my humble opinion if thats okay....I hope you can make a double appointment with your GP and have a talk about how you are feeling

You have a tough profession as a teacher BillieChook....considering what we are going through

respectfully yours....Paul