FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

what physical feelings of anxiety do you get?

annabay
Community Member

hey there, what physical symptoms of anxiety do you experience?

I often feel very alone in my experience of having physical chest (what I think are heart) spasms and was wanting to create a space for everyone to list their physical feelings that come hand in hand with anxiety so we can all feel less alone.

hope everyone is well.

797 Replies 797

LexiJane
Community Member

Hi Ca8,

I have those exact same responses to anxiety! They are not as frequent as before I went to a doctor to seek medical advice. I am glad you have made that step! There is very easy medication that can be prescribed, which is great. Whatever your doctor says, you've made the right decision by seeking help. Panic attacks are extremely tiring and I can synpathize with what you're feeling.

Keep your chin up.. it definitely get's better!

Hi Dakota18,

I sympathize with what you are going through, I can't imagine what it's like to not be able to pin point where these feelings or pain is coming from. I am also on similar medication and was waking up stiff - I actually invested in a really good pillow which allowed me to get better sleeps... I know this may sound too simple, but have you replaced your pillow recently?

Many regards,

LexiJane

contrarymary
Community Member

I am so glad I have read all the responses to the OP.

I suffer from a lot of these physical feelings especially the chest pain which I have had checked out the GP and cardiologist no problems heart working well.

Also can't stop crying sometimes lasts for hours. Also diarrhoea and upset stomach.

After reading replies I realise I am not the only one going through this

zeldadiana
Community Member

Thanks for the post,

my phsyical symptoms include

- severe heart palpitations (feels like my heart is going to come out of my throat)

-dizzy spells

-sweaty

-stomach is always upset

-shaky

-crying

-constantly fidgety

-and my voice changes almost to the point where it’s croaky and it’s effort to talk.

Hello,
I too have health anxiety since last year when my life changed unexpectedly. I've had awful physical symptoms the past month. Sensitivity to normal noises (hyperacusis) and more recently strange muscle twitching and pain and pins and needles in hands and feet. Trembling mouth. Muscle fatigue. Neurologist thinks it's all stress and anxiety. I have an MRI next week to check for MS. I am so afraid I have something neurological going on. I can't stand the fear I've been living in and just want it to end.

cookiesandcream
Community Member

Hi there,

my anxiety manifest as chronic digestive issues, if I feel anxious about something, or I feel not confident or that I'm not good at a task I need to do at work, my stomach plays up, you can hear it, it's so embarrassing. It doesn't happen at home, in my environment where I feel safe and know my surroundings and family, this is why I think it is my anxiety and not some other medical issue going on? as soon as my head and mind starts racing with anxiety, you can guarantee my stomach and digestive issues begin. It's so awful and is staring to affect my wanting to work for fear of embarrassment. Does anyone else have similar issues?

I know due to quiet a few things that have gone on in my life, that I've lost all confidence in myself and my abilities and until I can work on this, the anxiety and hence digestive issues will continue to be there.

Tv
Community Member
Hi koby, my name is Ty and I have never been on a forum like this about anxiety, but I can relate with a sickening feeling in ur stomach from only stress and anxiety. The way I have learned to overcome is to go for a run or exercise ur body, this creates a good distraction and usually helps to escape the anxiety from your own head.

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I'm paying closer attention to how anxiety manifests in me.

Usually my thought are racing and usually about things I can't control or too much to do ie feeling overwhelmed.

At first I feel a tightening in my chest and if it escalates (without me practising some grounding) then I have shortness of breath.

My sleep patterns get out of whack; I feel I can't get to sleep, sometimes I have nightmares, wake up sweaty. Usually I get up very early before dawn.

Regular eating patterns are also thrown out of whack.

I feel tense in my shoulders, arms and sometimes legs.

Sometimes I get stomach cramps.

If I can 'step in early' in the anxiety trajectory going almost straight upwards, then I can usually calm down. This may take hours or a few days depending. This is what I do:
* ground myself by taking up my rake and raking or doing some digging in the garden or watering,
* eat something really yummy,
* watching comedy,
* talking with a friend (but I acknowledge that sometimes this is NOT a good idea lol)
* having a bath (with a comedy playing on my phone nearby)
* playing with the dog
* shaking my arms out like I'm flicking something out of me
* rubbing scented body lotion in all over my body.

Hope this helps someone,
EM

Ricman
Community Member
I often come back to this thread for a little reassurance when things start to go a little haywire for me. It's good to know that we all have moments where the anxiety creeps back in, changes shape or form and throws us off the path. I've been feeling a whole lot better the past couple of weeks. I actually stopped medication because it was causing more physical symptoms than the help it was giving me and decided I would manage my anxiety more naturally. Yesterday I had a day that was quite emotional for a number of reasons and took me out of my comfort zone - that part I did deliberately (gradual exposure and all that). From late yesterday and today some of the physical stuff has crept back. I can't really concentrate on work. I feel edgy on anxious of course but the physical side has been the hand tremors and my favourite part is where I feel my left shoulder is kinda jittery or shivery and I get this knot in my left rib cage. Of course, these things trigger the thought response that something is wrong with my heart (it's been checked and all is good) but it stops me doing anything physical where I have to raise my heart rate. Palpitations are a major symptom and trigger for me. I guess my anxiety likes to manifest in the upper left of my torso and man I wish it would pick somewhere else, like a foot or somewhere, anywhere away from my heart or head. Curious to know if anyone else has a 'patch' of their body it likes to pick?

cathyxd7
Community Member
I usually tend to experience chest pain too/tightening in my chest and lungs. my whole body feels stiff and immobile. nausea, headaches, sweating