FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

what physical feelings of anxiety do you get?

annabay
Community Member

hey there, what physical symptoms of anxiety do you experience?

I often feel very alone in my experience of having physical chest (what I think are heart) spasms and was wanting to create a space for everyone to list their physical feelings that come hand in hand with anxiety so we can all feel less alone.

hope everyone is well.

797 Replies 797

Sherry29
Community Member

Hello!

I was wondering if anyone could help. I haven’t been diagnosed with anxiety as my symptoms have only occurred in the last 2-3 weeks. I’ve been to 2 different doctors, bloods came back normal. Doctors didn’t seem overly concerned.

symptoms started with ;

-pins and needles / dead leg and arm mainly in right side at night

-Right side body weakness
-strong sensations of body when falling asleep
-waking up suddenly to a dead body and feeling weak but could move it once I registered
-mind awake body still asleep
-head rushes and sensations
-vivid night terrors of being harmed by someone then suddenly waking up
-waking up in a state of panic / tight chest / breathing heavy / mouth and body shaking (only sometimes)
-right side feeling weak (varies, has improved)

-difficulty holding long convos sometimes

-Feeling spaced out, like I’m not part of some of my body

Random sharp pains but bearable —Irrational thoughts
obsessive googling symptoms

Being fine then driving to work and eyes go funny for a split second and sensation at back of head and then panic but still in full control of driving

Feeling of being disconnected from reality at night (sometimes)

A bit light headed

-Muscle twitches

-Scared something is about to happen to me physically or seriously

-social anxiety (that’s alway being there)

my symptoms have changed over 2-3 weeks. Some gone, some new ones and some good days with no symptoms but then I have a bad day and again think their is something medically wrong with me!

i don’t drink, smoke, have medical history, I’m very active, eat well and not an overly stressed person. I can pin point a few causes to this oncoming (if it’s anxiety) but I just don’t know what to do.

Thank you in advance 🙂

Guest_4643
Community Member

Hi everyone, I've commented here with my anxiety symptoms before but I have a question relating to the topic please. Lately I've been having these symptoms, and I'm too scared to tell the GP and get tests although I just think its anxiety because I get most symptoms often however some seem new to me, at least that I've picked up on anyway. The symptoms are:

- For the last couple of days I've been feeling extremely sick whether I eat or not and stomach problems like gastro (could be a bug and no it's not contagious), I get this often. Perhaps something I ate or withdrawals from my old meds and my body adjusting to my new ones although I just started them?

- Headaches.

- Dry mouth and a bit of a sore throat.

- Dizziness/lightheadedness (such as when I'm in the shower, bending/sitting down and get up, etc.) This is a new symptom for me that seems more common.

Is this normal, and could it be from anxiety? I'm worried my Psychiatrist hates me and doesn't want to work with me anymore although he's never said that (because he keeps telling me to go to the triage although I told them they refuse to help me and I told the GP too). I'm trying to cope with the symptoms but its hard, I haven't vomited but very close to. Also very dark intrusive thoughts.

Worried about the new meds also, any reply would be appreciated, thank you.

Tayla

Hi Rusty girl....I am not lucky at all for overcoming the bulk of my anxiety....as you know its a crappy place to be in and I still have infrequent periods of agoraphobia...I used to have the frequent chronic anxiety attacks which have been treated by ongoing super regular visits to my doc...Its hard work...and it can take a long time..determination and frequent treatment..I understand what you are going through Rusty

Hi mon1ker....good on you for posting on Annabays thread! Anxiety of any level can be a pain for sure...When our symptoms have a detrimental effect on our day to day ability to function ...then it usually time to see our GP.....great to have you as part of the forum family mon1ker!

any questions are always welcome!

Paul

Hi Sherry29

Good on you for posting and being a part of Annabays thread topic!

Your symptoms are very common yet awful to have as you know...Im not a doc yet I have had many years with similar feelings as you have..Just a friendly note about using Google for help....please dont as there is way too much inaccurate information. Google can be very counter productive where our mental health is concerned

Just a polite suggestion if I may.....to receive more responses I hope you can post your own thread topic! It is easy to do and if you have any questions just ask away....There are many gentle people on the forums that can be here for you Sherry

we are here and listening 🙂

Paul

M1ssjess89
Community Member
I had posted in my own thread but I feel like I need to post again. I've had pins and needles for 5 weeks now. Since it's started I feel like a totally different person and I am struggling. I have pins and needles mainly in one hand and my middle finger hurts. Sometimes I feel like I have muscle weakness so I panic. I feel like all the time I am panicking and feel sick, because I think this is the start of something bad. My doctor things it's all anxiety, but I cannot shake it. Im just stuck in panic mode and cannot enjoy anything. I wake up in panic mode, scared to get up. I have bad ibs, my eyes are now playing up and are so tired. I'm so tired. Is this all anxiety? I'm so scared I'm getting permanent nerve damage or something.

Thank you for your reply. I hope I was coming across as patronising, just glad you seem to be in a reasonable good state. I am trying to change my life and some days ok but like yesterday when I got two job offers i was naturally excited but nerves and anxiety took over. Due to urgency of the role to be filled and it relates to a similar role i had 5 years ago, anxiety and worry i will fail, I am now doubting I can do it even though it only first stage, as worry i will have to leave due to mental health issue which was reason i had to leave last job. Not sure what to do.

Rusty

Hi everyone! and thanks for being a part of Annabays helpful thread discussion 🙂

Hi M1ssjess89 Good on you for posting again! Anxiety can present in so many ways including pins and needles and these awful thoughts too....Your are proactive for seeing your GP! That is a huge sign of strength. What is the name of your thread? From what you have posted your doc seems to be right about mentioning anxiety

Hey Rusty....Being unsure is understandable...especially with having any level of anxiety/agoraphobia.....If our anxiety starts to have a detrimental affect on our day to day well being.....we do need the help of our doc/GP..You have excellent communication skills Rusty...Self doubt can be a pain Rusty....I understand you loud and clear....You can deal with the 'now'......and I feel you are more than qualified to do so....Our self doubts can be consuming and sometimes lead us astray....I hope some of this post was of some help Rusty 🙂

take care everyone!

Paul

Hi blondguy,
My thread is "I am exhausted".
I get nerve pain in my hand and that worries me 😥 it's just everything.

Hey M1ssjess89,

Hope you're well.

Are you using a ergonomic mouse pad? You might want to let your GP known about your hand.

Hope you have a great weekend, in whichever way you spend it.

Regards

Hi Everyone

Hey M1ssjess89....thankyou for your thread topic..This is an awful time to have any physical anxiety..

Hey Doz86...thankyou for being so quick and helping out! Nice1 🙂

Paul