FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

what physical feelings of anxiety do you get?

annabay
Community Member

hey there, what physical symptoms of anxiety do you experience?

I often feel very alone in my experience of having physical chest (what I think are heart) spasms and was wanting to create a space for everyone to list their physical feelings that come hand in hand with anxiety so we can all feel less alone.

hope everyone is well.

797 Replies 797

Possm
Community Member

I have been suffering with anxiety for a few months now.

As much as it sucks to see everyone suffering its nice to know Im not going crazy (ier, we are all a little crazy, no fun being normal).

My symptoms seem to vary from tight chest, tight throat, heartburn/acid reflux , IBS, sweats, shoulder/neck pain, panic feeling (doomed feeling), irritability, crying, heart attack feeling, irrational thoughts.

I have been diagnosed with GAD and SA but Im not medicated yet, mainly due to my own stubbornness but Ive picked a date to start after some travel as last time I tried the meds I felt unwell (to be expected).

I use humor and avoidance to get me through most days.

Hi S&Z,

I was reading through your post and the First part in particular caught my eye. When you say you have had left side altered sensation as a result of a reaction, I feel like you’re the first person I finally came accross that has had the same thing happen to.

Ihave had perceived weakness in my right side of body as I received a call from my doctor about a particluar result. I havent been the same since.

if its ok with you, would you be able to tell me more about what you’re feeling? I have researched a lot and have found that anxiety can cause muscle weakness in arms/legs but this is my whole right side we’re talking. Nothing on that in particular.

And with the issues you’re facing now, it all sounds like your body is in a bit of a shock considering how active you are normally and that you haven’t been able to do much recently as a result of having to take it easy. The gut problems and the cramps is all very familiar to me. Especially during the times of stress and inactivity.

hope that helps.

Hi Everyone!....This an open thread topic that 'Annabay' created...All people are welcome to post 🙂

Hey Pablo61....Anxiety back after 13 years would be awful...I feel your pain...Thankyou for your post!

Hey Possm...Thankyou for contributing to the discussion 🙂 Your symptoms are identical to what I used to have in the 1980's...(in my 20's) and I still remember how awful these feelings were..yet they are treatable

Hey TheAnxiousOne....Thankyou for your helpful post to SxZ....Its always great to have support from others that have experienced this awful set of symptoms

thankyou amazing people for being on the forums and sharing your own symptoms

my kind thoughts

Paul

Number_86
Community Member

Hi Paul,

i am still struggling to decipher what’s real or what’s in my head.

My usual symptoms are,

Tightness in chest and throat. Dry mouth, difficulty swallowing. Paranoia that I am about to die. Feeling tense and stiff. Weird feeling that’s hard to explain like a wave rolled over my head. Thinking that’s adrenaline.

stomach bloating and associated intestinal issues.

when it happens I feel like hiding from everyone so I duck in the toilets and check my symptoms to reassure myself.

Hi Number 86!

Welcome to the forums....the dry mouth...feeling like you are about to die...feeling tense..the bloating....the intestinal issues...the dizzyness are all common symptoms of anxiety

You are spot on about that 'wave' feeling that rolls over our head.....Its most likely adrenaline as you mentioned

I was 23 when all these symptoms hit me like a freight train....and they are awful to have Number86

you are not alone....just from my own experience, seeing our GP can make us feel better as GP's have a better understanding of anxiety than even 10 years ago

Note: The good news!....The earlier anxiety symptoms are treated the better our recovery will be

Thankyou for being a part of the forum family too 🙂

Paul

Hi Number 86

Your symptoms are so similar to mine. And I do exactly what you do, if I feel bad symptoms coming on in a public setting, i will go straight to the toilet and do all my checks because I’m embarrassed if anyone were to know what’s going on. I think the main reason that I’m embarrassed is because I think people will think I’m making it all up because I “look fine”

I tried to explain that wave feeling to my partner and a few doctors and no one seemed to understand what I was talking about!! I hate this feeling but i take small comfort in the fact I’m not alone and neither are you. All the best

jemma09
Community Member

Thanks Paul for suggesting this forum.

It's interesting to see how people experience different feelings. My troubles often come up when I'm feeling worried about something, when I overthink, health anxiety, etc.

I can get:

-shakey

-very tense and painful muscles

-crying (usually I hardly cry, but if feeling anxious has gone on a long time... my body just can't contain the emotions)

-panic attacks (I think they are. My heart races and hands shake, I can usually recognise when it's happening)

-short of breath (I have vocal cord dysfunction too, which is where the vocal cords open and close at the wrong times. This flares up when I'm anxious)

-racing thoughts

-possible headaches and dizziness/lightheadedness (getting an MRI next week just to be sure, my doctor thinks I feel like this because of being anxious, then of course my health anxiety kicks in)

-obsessive thoughts and actions (eg. googling symptoms over and over)

-seeking constant reassurance from family

Thanks to anyone who took the time to read this.

Bella897
Community Member

Hey anyone who is listening

It currently 2:42 am I gave up on trying to sleep about an hour ago guess I'm just lucky I don't have work today sleeping is something I always struggle with since I was 17 when I was first diagnosed with anxiety just about every night I'll lay down and be almost asleep then all of a sudden I feel a panic coming on I get like a weird feeling in my head then all of a sudden I feel like I can't breath almost like someone is sitting on my chest and I'm going to pass out I get real dizzy and disoriented then I will feel like I'm falling from a building this also happens during the day just seems worse of a night time but the real fun part is when it starts to feel like I'm going to die then I'll sit up maybe have a drink of water wipe my tears and watch something to make me laugh for 20 minutes but when I try to go back to sleep I can't because I get scared if I do I'll die in my sleep and no one will know till morning another problem I have is when I'm feeling tired and run down I can't manage my anxiety very well if at all so it doesn't help when I can't sleep at all

My doctor and family recomended that a get some meds to help with anxiety or for sleeping but my problem is that taking pills (even panadol) make me feel anxious one time I even rang my doctor to ask if I took travel calm medicine if it could kill me

Does anyone else ever feel this way it can't just be me

Hi Everyone and thankyou so much for your valued input on Annabay's terrific thread topic 🙂

Hello HelpsAlwaysNear96......Great to have you post on the forums with your symptoms of anxiety...Your post has also helped more people know they are not alone...Thankyou!

Hello jemma09....You are very welcome and thankyou for posting what you experience here...(and for creating your own thread topic too!) I will catch up with you on your thread...Great to have you on the forums jemma09!

Hello Bella897....Welcome to Annabay's thread and great to have you post with us too 🙂 I am only a temporary caretaker of this thread as I used to have these awful symptoms as well...Just a note if I can Bella897....The earlier we seek treatment the better our recovery will be...I had the same symptoms as yourself when I was in in my early 20's and they are horrible...Really good to have you on the forums Bella897!

Note: The forums are a safe and non judgemental place for everyone to post 🙂

my kind thoughts and appreciation

Paul

jemma09
Community Member

Hi Bella897

Thanks for sharing. You are not alone in feeling this way. I remember being up late at night convinced that I couldn't breathe and that I was dying. I even took myself to the hospital. I was at a tipping point where I just went to go get help because I was on edge all the time. I went to headspace and it really helped me.

That's great that you have some water and find something positive to do! Be proud of yourself for that. I find sleep meditation/talk down is very relaxing. Some of them help to practice being mindful too. Have you tried using sleep meditation? If you search it on youtube there are many great videos there.

I wish you all the best and I hope you can have some fulfilling sleep in the future. Take care 🙂